Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 11:51   #1

Boat: Hunter 386
Anchoring: Hints on how to Pick a Spot?

I've read through a lot of older threads but I haven't found a good one on just how to choose where to anchor in a busier spot.

Recently we were up in Waddington Bay in the Broughtons and when we pulled in it looked like there were plenty of spots but the boats were all pointed in different directions and I meandered aimlessly in indecision for a bit. Eventually I just dropped my anchor in a spot as equidistant from everything as I could and waited until the boat direction settled somewhere. It wasn't bad but I figure I ended up wasting some valuable space for the next guy.

My issues:
It was almost impossible to figure out where people's anchors were
Harder to guess their scope
Difficult to determine which way you were likely to hang off your own hook
Surrounded on 4 sides (one of which was the unmoving shore)

There were a couple more crowded bays that trip (although the prevailing currents were a lot clearer) and each one reminded me how much I would love to have a clearer understanding of what to look for.

So... hints? Quick guidelines? Maybe a hard-and-fast rule or two?
Old 11-07-2014, 13:00   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Anchoring: hints on how to pick a spot?

usually ask another boat if they're on board, or drop the anchor and stay on board till current effects become more clear. Its best to drop anchor 10m or so behind another yacht. Sometimes don't spend too much time setting the anchor in case you need to move when things become clearer./
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 13:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if entering a fairly deserted bay with only one or 2 boats anchored there, aim to anchor within 20 feet of the more expensive looking boat,by sundown you will be on nodding terms with the crew and if they are decent cruisers they will invite you over for cocktails..........

avoid anchoring near tatty looking cruising boats they probably have flying coackroaches onboard that can fly very long distances,and will result in a bad infestation.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 13:13   #4

Boat: Niagara 35

This is a classic problem in the PNW where you have deep anchorages, no wind, and lots of crowds. I'm surprised you had crowds in the Broughtons, but I've never cruised that far north.

Many of the boats will be on all chain and will be gently spinning around the point where their chain hits the bottom. Their anchor could be behind them, you can't tell.

Usually, though, there has been some wind that day and everybody will have set their anchors into the wind. You can always ask the boats near you, or you can guess and hope for the best. I'm kinda shy about asking so I end up guessing which is probably kind of dumb.

We will also often just anchor farther out than others in deep water.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 13:21   #5

1. It gets easier the more you do it. It might look like you're right on top of someone from the helm but hop in the dinghy and it will probably look fine.

2. On the other hand, it never gets easier. Anchoring in a tight anchorage is always tricky. Some boats lie to wind, some lie to current, some (like mine) just choose to disregard science and end up perpendicular to both.

Sorry for not being more helpful. In calm conditions just accept it's not ideal and hope for the best. If it's going to be nasty it's better to move and give yourself some space.
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 13:35   #6

Boat: contessa 32

There is IMHO quite a bit of art to it, much of it born of experience.
Assuming you know how to deploy your ground tackle, here are some considerations, in random order:

1. Watch how boats similar (size and type) to yours are hanging…they will likely swing like you and thereby less likely to swing into you with any wind and current shifts.
2. Eschew neighbors that are huge, commercial, great disrepair ,loud,etc.
3.Anchor at the back of the pack rather in front of all. If you drag you will be going through all the boats that were there first and you will not be going to any beach potluck parties. It is a lot more private at the edges off the pack rather than in it and so less clothing is required and some may feel more comfortable using the male prerogative of emptying their personal holding tanks.
4.What are your plans? Fishing may be better near some nearby rocks or the her. entrance,a beach to walk your dog or close to town to do laundry go for dinner etc..
5. What is the weather going to do? A front coming with a big frisky wind shift ? Think about how your boat will hang when the new wind comes.
6. Is there room under your stern? if more scope is veered will you be up against the beach or something nasty?
7.Avoid anchoring next to that boat that is off by themselves….Its probably me or some other misanthrope.
8. Are you staying on board? If so, then you may try to get by with reduced scope when the weather is settled and thereby snuggle into a tight spot while at the ready to move or fend off something swinging nearby.
9. State of the tide is very critical….I'm assuming every one here can do simple arithmetic and recognize the consequences thereof.
10. Know where the main channel is and avoid anchoring so you will not swing into it. Ferries ,commercial fishermen, tour boats etc, have little tolerance for those that are hampering their ability to make a living or keep a schedule. Try it and see what happens.
11. As in #1 above, it is desirable anchor with those using chain if you are ,and those with a rope rode would do better to stay with there own ilk since they will swing in a larger arc.
12. If you are English speaking ,avoid French boats. This is probably unfair,but many have told me that the French concept of personal space is significantly less than the English speaking world. Of course there may be offsetting advantages.

Luv you all…………………………mike…………………………………………………………………………..
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 17:20   #7

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

avoid anchoring near tatty looking cruising boats they probably have flying coackroaches onboard that can fly very long distances,and will result in a bad infestation.....

I've been to parts of asia where they would welcome that. I was with one chick who almost continuously munched roasted cockroaches like they were popcorn. Must be part of the foreplay.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 17:25   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

One could communicate with boats close where you would like to anchor to get their input.
Old 11-07-2014, 17:42   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

A few thoughts...

I usually try to study the guide(s), whatever charts are available, tide tables and the weather forecast and aim to pick a sheltered spot.

If there are a lot of boats and it's unclear where is best I've been known to idle up beside a boat with a few layabouts on board and ask what they suggest. I've gotten good advice up to now.

I try to arrive at a strange anchorage at least a few hours befor sunset so I can take my time picking a spot and check out how it looks over a few hours. There are going to be more spots in a popular anchorage if one arrives early.

If there are quite a few boats there already anchoring further out may be preferable.

I've found it way more pleasant to find another spot as opposed to contesting a favoured one.

My preferred way of anchoring in a crowded area is to drop the anchor just behind the stern of the boat upwind/upcurrent of it, pay out my usual amount of chain and then see how the boat sits.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 17:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurebound View Post
I've been to parts of asia where they would welcome that. I was with one chick who almost continuously munched roasted cockroaches like they were popcorn. Must be part of the foreplay.
they don't call them "jungle bunnies" for nothing.....the girls that is
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 19:46   #11

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

If there is wind against tide, look for a boat similar to yours to assess how it is riding. A boat with high windage will be more likely to follow the wind than a heavy mono.

If conditions are calm as in your question, and there is minimal room, it isn't easy, but the same guideline still has a little merit. Anchor further away from dissimilar boats.

Also check what rode is coming off the bow. A boat with all chain will handle differently from a boat with a lot of nylon.
Old 11-07-2014, 20:05   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Find the guy with the slapping halyards - that will be me. I am laid back, non-judgmental and won't give you any guff about your seamanship.

OTOH - The good news is I will probably up hook and leave. I use the anchor to get away from people. Crowded moorings, anchorages and marinas are often what I am trying to avoid. If I wanna hang with people I'll go back to shore.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 21:01   #13

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

No competition for an anchor site here (a short distance west of the Panamanian channel):

Old 12-07-2014, 07:42   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

I think, before you gain plenty of experience, always anchor offshore from other craft. This gives you plenty of space for error.

When you get experienced enough, always anchor offshore from other craft. This gives you plenty of space, should conditions shift.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42   #15

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think, before you gain plenty of experience, always anchor offshore from other craft. This gives you plenty of space for error.

When you get experienced enough, always anchor offshore from other craft. This gives you plenty of space, should conditions shift.
:-) Offshore it is then!

Seriously though, is giving some consideration to the next guy a good thing, or should you just take the best spot and not worry about making room?

Tags
anchor, anchoring