Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2008, 20:28   #16
Marine Service Provider

I reckon you want to listen to MidLandOne, weld the puppy if looking at a permanent mooring type application. No way would I use stainless for anything underwater for more than a week or 2 in one go. I've seen it actually fizzing on the odd mooring. Seen more fizzing on high tensile gear though so just don't go there.

Also if doing a permanent mooring I'd not use galvanised chain or fittings, just use self-colour (sometimes called 'black'). Galvanising is designed to wear (word use issue) off and in doing so creates a tiny tiny current. It is not unknown for this current to like being there when the galv has gone and in doing so can make mooring gear disappear faster. We never use galvanised products for permemently immersed situations like moorings. Anchoring is a up and down thing so is different hence galv and SS can be used more.

Deeper you go the less oxygen and things can't rust without it. Mind you moorings rusting way are not common, wear is the one to watch for.

And a tip - if welding up shackles or anything for permenent underwater use, use the cheap general purpose rods. The flasher the rods used the more likely they can cause greif.

Cable ties are OK but only for short term or emergency use or on anchors where you can see them. Most have little UV stability and can wear off quickly in the wrong situation.

Another way of doing shackles it to do them up with a bloody big spanner and then peen the end of the pin over with a bloody big hammer. On a mooring I'd still prefer welding though.

Locktite is damn good as mentioned by some smart cookie above.

And the big thing - shackles are cheap in the big scheme of things. Hence do everything you can to stop them coming undone and DON'T plan on re-using them, plan on having to cut them off. We see people putting Rescue Steel and stuff on them so they can get them off easier later. Sadly most don't realise Mother Nature has a pile more balls than most people have so she can also get them undone just as easy and often does.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 20:38   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You can always peen over the end of the pin. There is no way it will ever come off. Don't ever expect to be able to remove it though. I prefer wire and would never trust a nylon tie for such an important thing. I have used nylon ties for temporary duty though where you can keep an eye on it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 03:43   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
For “Some Observations on Moorings and Anchoring” goto the bottom of the page at: http://www.thehurdles.com/helix_moor...stallation.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 05:46   #19

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Always locktite for me with single strand wire fishing trace

For heavier jobs I get old 1x19 s/s rigging wire and get strands from that.

Use it as filler wire for tig welding as well, costs nothing, nice bit of recycling

Dave