Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2005, 12:52   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Eliminating shackles on anchor rode/chain

[IMG][/IMG]

A tight eye splice using a dacron pendant attaches to the last link of the chain. An eye splice in the other end of the pendant is formed sufficiently large so as to acommodate the attachment of an eye formed in the end of the nylon rode forming what looks like a square knot having an overall strength at least equal to the strength of the rode.

If one of the eyes is made large then the entire rode may be slid through the eye to make a quick attachement or removal. The entire arrangement easily passes through a windlass pipe. The Dacron pendant will not chafe like nylon on the chain and there is no fancy splice to make or worry about failing. This is strong.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2005, 13:01   #2

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Added notes

The length of the Dacron pendant is chosen so as to make the eye splices as easy to run home as possible. If the length is too short you will not easily run home the last eye.

In this case the chain is 3/8 inch and the Dacron is 5/8 inch, the nylon happens to be 3/4 inch.

After careful consideration of stainless swivels available "out there" I have chosen the Italian Kong which is INOX AISI 316 SWL rated at 2000 Kg because one can disassemble it and carefully inspect every aspect of the internals for any stress cracking or defects. I have dressed down any surface imperfections using a dremel tool and appropriate deburring attachments so that when assembled it easily swivels under load without any catching. I used Locktite to assemble it so that I can sleep safely at anchor without concern about the single strong fastener working lose under load or about any concerns of the threads corroding. None of the other swivels that I have seen on the market have these features.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Top marks Rick. That's one heck of a nice looking job.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode