Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 09:04   #1

Boat: Oceanis 45
Quick Windlass Issue

Hi all. I have a Quick windlass with a wired hand controller and a controller at the helm. Recently, it quit working whan letting chain out. To anchor we have to release it and let the chain freefall the desired amount and then lock it back in. The odd part it it works just fine when hauling it back in with the handset and from the helm. Any ideas what would cause it to not work in one direction only?
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 22:41   #2

Re: Quick Windlass Issue

A bit late to respond perhaps , but it looks like a solenoid malfunction.
If you know where the heavy duty relays ( solenoids) are positioned , you could put your ear next to it and have someone push the down button.
If you dont hear a click that mean either the solenoid is gone or there's a bad connection in one of the command leads on the sollenoid.
You could try switching the + command lead of the up-solenoid to the down-solenoid and again have someone push the UP button.
If that works it a connection problem , you can track that down with a voltmeter.
If it doesn't work it will cost you $$$ to get a new/other solenoid . I'm sure you can find that on ebay.

Good luck
Regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 02:39   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have a Quick wired hand controller and I have had to twice open it up and remake the switch connections on it. These are very small wires that corrode/break easily. It is possible your "down" switch has corroded/broken wires on it.

I have also had these wires corrode on the mating socket for the controller, so also check there.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:10   #4

Boat: Oceanis 45

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Bob, where might the solenoid be located?
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:16   #5

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We have a Quick wired hand controller and I have had to twice open it up and remake the switch connections on it. These are very small wires that corrode/break easily. It is possible your "down" switch has corroded/broken wires on it.

I have also had these wires corrode on the mating socket for the controller, so also check there.

Mark
I agree, this is where I'd check first. The switch contacts can corrode and then they don't conduct. If you can get into the switch you can clean the contacts with some fine sandpaper or emery. Even scrape them with a small tool. You can test it with a multi-meter.

I had this on the starter switch of my motorcycle and a salt environment would make this even more likely on your boat.

Good luck!
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 06:54   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myknjul View Post
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Bob, where might the solenoid be located?
It should be close to the windlass itself, you should be able to follow the heavy gauge wires from the windlass to it, or the light gauge wires from the switch to it.
You should also have a big circuit breaker for the windlass, and a small circuit breaker for the relays themselves, meaning you should be able to disengage the big circuit breaker, but the relay should still function, and it makes a loud click or thump when it does, you should be able to find it by it's noise when you disable the big CB to the windlass as the windlass will be silent
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 11:15   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quick windlasses have internal solenoids - it is inside the body near the motor.

It is unlikely the solenoid has failed in the mode where one direction doesn't work.

It is much more likely that the thin wire controlling the solenoid has a problem somewhere in its run(s). I mentioned the remote and its socket earlier. You should also check the connection to the small solenoid wire bundle coming out of the windlass itself.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 23:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Quick windlasses have internal solenoids - it is inside the body near the motor.

It is unlikely the solenoid has failed in the mode where one direction doesn't work.

It is much more likely that the thin wire controlling the solenoid has a problem somewhere in its run(s). I mentioned the remote and its socket earlier. You should also check the connection to the small solenoid wire bundle coming out of the windlass itself.

Mark

I wasn't aware that Quick had these solenoids internal also.
I'm on the verge of buying a new windlass myself , a Lofrans , and had my eye on the project 1000 or X2 , it will be the X2 because apparantly the project 1000 has internal solenoids and I just dont want that .Which is a shame because this type also has the double speed down mode. Great feature .

Internal solenoids , very easy to connect yes , but in case of solenoid malfunction you need to strip the motor.

Regards
bobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 06:29   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
I wasn't aware that Quick had these solenoids internal also...
I also.
T6415 Reversing Solenoid Unit
http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/quick/194902F.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 07:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

But this one does have an integral solenoid:
Products | WINDLASSES AND CAPSTANS | HORIZONTAL ON-DECK WINDLASSES | Heroes - HR5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick Solenoid.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	113451  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass