Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 10:53   #46

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: New Anchor Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
URL not available
SIGH
Here is a screen shot
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-2018-4-3 Yacht Design Explained.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	167618
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Noelex and Jim seem to know lots but I would have thought that depleted uranium prime use would be for keel ballast (eh, monohulls only). I know next to nothing so I ask my friend/foe Google:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

After reading all that I think gold might be a better option. Many many years ago I read a book: "the golden keel". At least in fiction, it has been done before.

My grandfather was a canny old guy and in the 36' gaff rigged yawl he purchased in 1945 was romoured to hold hidden wealth. The discovery by my brothers wand I of 4 lead ingots used as ballast brought a great amount of interest by us. Wanting to keep his secret of the gold ingots encapsulated in lead was if great interest.
As our age and education progressed all level of scientific endeavour was put into play.
The bars were located under the cabin sole and we're almost impossible to get to past ribs and stringers without removing the sole. Only on a couple of occasions as we grew older did an opportunity to get to see these bars. We tried scratching them to get through the lead to the gold . But all was in vain.
Grandfather finally died. Then came the opportunity to share our suspicions with our father. An expedition into the bilge was planned. Two of the bars were removed and an exhaustive examination of the bars was undertaken using a hacksaw. Lead is not easy to cut. No gold was found.
The other two bars have never been examined!

Just thought I'd share.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 14:11   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by james247 View Post
My grandfather was a canny old guy and in the 36' gaff rigged yawl he purchased in 1945 was romoured to hold hidden wealth. The discovery by my brothers wand I of 4 lead ingots used as ballast brought a great amount of interest by us. Wanting to keep his secret of the gold ingots encapsulated in lead was if great interest.
As our age and education progressed all level of scientific endeavour was put into play.
The bars were located under the cabin sole and we're almost impossible to get to past ribs and stringers without removing the sole. Only on a couple of occasions as we grew older did an opportunity to get to see these bars. We tried scratching them to get through the lead to the gold . But all was in vain.
Grandfather finally died. Then came the opportunity to share our suspicions with our father. An expedition into the bilge was planned. Two of the bars were removed and an exhaustive examination of the bars was undertaken using a hacksaw. Lead is not easy to cut. No gold was found.
The other two bars have never been examined!

Just thought I'd share.
Isn't that the exact problem which Archimedes solved non-invasively, and a couple thousand years ago?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 10:54   #49
Marine Service Provider

Great thread!

We have 3 new anchors coming out over the next 2 years. One of them is like nothing you have ever seen in anchoring!
These new anchors will be Made in the USA. Just like we did in the 80's we are leaping anchoring technology forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	377276_404428626283827_721198189_n.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	168442  
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, men