Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 15:39   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Put an eye bolt inside the anchor locker, tie a strong line to it and to the chain such that the last few links are still on the gypsy when the line is taught. In emergency just cut the line.

Taut. (Just sayin')
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 17:08   #122

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Taut. (Just sayin')

Ooops. Thanks for the correction - really. I do try to keep up the writing quality.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 17:41   #123
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How do you go about quickly releasing an anchor?
Only way I could is to run out all of the chain, but I’ve been considering attaching it inside of the Boat to keep it from being inadvertently being run out, which would of course make it so I couldn’t release the anchor in a timely manner.
Classification recommends that the bitter end of an anchor chain should be kept high and tethered to a shackle fixed to a strong point with a nylon lashing that would break on a run out ..or can quickly be cut.
Called a. "WEAK LINK"

That is what I have on my boat together with a joining shackle so that I can connect both bitter ends together.

You can then pay out both anchors in deep water till chain locker is empty, retrieve one anchor, while paying out all scope on other side.

This was commonly installed for Ocean going tugs in case of a deep water emergency.

In case of a loss of power they had a better chance to slow down or stop thier drift towards a lee shore.

Should be standard on all power vessels
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 18:41   #124

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

This is a great thread, thanks to all the participants. I cruise mainly in the Sea of Cortez, so crowding is not usually an issue. One time I was the only vessel at Isla San Francisco, a beautiful roomy anchorage. My wife and I were taking the dinghy to shore for a hike when a motor boat came and dropped anchor almost on top of us as we had just reached shore. We made our hike, but I was seething. When returning to our boat we passed the motor boat next to us. There was a nude female model lounging on the foredeck as we passed by. When we got back on board my wife asked, "Are you still mad that they anchored so close?" I pretended that I hadn't noticed, but she knew better. Anyway, sometimes you get a prize for being anchored so close to.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the deterrent method. If somebody anchors too close, strip down and start doing projects on deck naked. I would guess that most newly arriving folks would relocate.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 18:49   #125

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

A technique we used to use in the Solent to keep too many from berthing next to us was to have a piece of line prepared below with some baby clothes pegged to it. Rig it when you arrive and people will give you a bit more room...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 19:43   #126
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don’t anchor right in the middle of them. But there’s not any way to anchor with enough rode to not swing into them in all directions if the wind shifts. Hell the lobster guys drop them in the middle of mooring fields.
Crab pots everywhere in the Chesapeake in the season, even in the main shipping channels sometimes.

We anchored in a creek and found that a float was constantly tapping on the stern when the tide turned. Maddening. I hooked the thing out and threw it a few feet away and we had a peaceful night.

It's someone's livelihood so we try not to interfere with the pots in general.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 16:55   #127

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I thought about this thread Friday, two days ago. I worked a full day, cut my lawn and picked my son up from the airport at 1700. An hour drive to the boat and got off the dock before 1900. The plan was 15 miles to Egg Harbor and anchoring off the beach there. This is my go to Friday night destination and have made dozens of trips. The days are getting shorter and there was no moon. I turned my running and motoring lights on when I left the dock. Arriving at Egg Harbor it was completely black and I had to motor along the shore to get my bearings. I had trouble picking an anchor light out of the shore lights but did. I could see one boat at anchor and I passed him 30 feet to my port. He “Ahoyed me” which is when I thought about this thread. I anchored well in shore of him off the beach in 19 feet of water. I then noticed my running lights were turned to the off position and I turned them only to have the breaker trip a few seconds later. I have a short I need to sort out. If I made that gentleman nervous, I am truly sorry.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 18:04   #128
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Crab pots everywhere in the Chesapeake in the season, even in the main shipping channels sometimes.

We anchored in a creek and found that a float was constantly tapping on the stern when the tide turned. Maddening. I hooked the thing out and threw it a few feet away and we had a peaceful night.

It's someone's livelihood so we try not to interfere with the pots in general.
Was in Chesapeake 6 weeks ago. The number of crab pots there pales to number of lobster pots in Maine. In Maine is no “maybe” the pots will be in the channel, because that must be where the lobsters like to me.

I’m in a nice anchorage right now with lots of pot free free. Yet a boat came in and dropped anchor right in the middle of the area with the pots.
Old 15-08-2018, 04:59   #129

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Was in Chesapeake 6 weeks ago. The number of crab pots there pales to number of lobster pots in Maine. In Maine is no “maybe” the pots will be in the channel, because that must be where the lobsters like to me.

I’m in a nice anchorage right now with lots of pot free free. Yet a boat came in and dropped anchor right in the middle of the area with the pots.

I agree. The Bay has nothing on Maine when it comes to pots. Not even close. Also in the Bay crab pots are almost always in 18-25’ of water (varies by time of year and water temperature) so just looking at your chart you can avoid most of them. While you find some in gubmint channels it’s pretty rare.
Old 15-08-2018, 05:53   #130

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the deterrent method. If somebody anchors too close, strip down and start doing projects on deck naked. I would guess that most newly arriving folks would relocate.
My two partners love being naked and frolicking with each other around on deck, so we get the opposite effect... This is why I anchor at the veeryyy back of the pack, swell be damned
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 06:44   #131

it was once said, "it doesn't take brains to own a boat just money." That is a bit cruel, however. We all started in the beginning. I was fortunately a child sailor and cruiser and had a extremely knowledgeable, experienced boating father and mother. Probably not so with everyone. We need to be patient with new boaters. They will eventually get it! The one thing we can do is let them know of forums like this so they can learn and ask questions. 60 years on the water and I still see the beginners in the local anchorages, a year or 2 later they figure it out and are replaced by another. Circle of boating life!
Whisper Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 06:54   #132

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I agree that most of us have more to learn on this topic. And some anchoring experts can probably learn to use more tact. In my learning process I do my beat to leave room and honor the boat already present. But sometimes I need to decide that my boat will anchor closer than someone else wants. A pleasant discussion could take place and we both end up happy. Or some disrespectful comments are thrown and my concern for his issue gets deleted.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 07:28   #133

Boat: Cambria 46
Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

I was in South Allen's Cay at the top end of the Exumas last summer and being off season I was the only boat there until a power boat that had speeded over from Nassau dropped their anchor close by. He was having problems setting his anchor and seemed to spend half an hour trying to get it right. I could see him watching me and pretending not to. He could have asked if it was OK but continued to ignore me. Eventually I swam over and told him to get on my other side and closer to the shore as he had less draft and I would dive down and set it for him. Everything went down friendly and him, his wife and kids all got in and swim with me but, as mentioned, with all the different anchorages around the Allen's Cay area he seemed to want to drop anchor right next to me. Of course I was the guy we all get jealous of (or angry with) who has taken up the best spot first, not leaving much space left in a small anchorage!
gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 07:47   #134

I need some secrets on how to anchor well in a channel where the tide changes direction- and creates a strong current!
bioggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 07:51   #135

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
It can be a pain, especially the part about people dropping the hook right next to you when there's no one else in the anchorage. What gives with that? I never have words with other sailors over anchoring issues. When someone plops down too close to me, or I see a dangerous situation evolving, I just sigh, up anchor, and move. I admit, sometimes it's really inconvenient- especially with late arrivals; but this is just my solution, and it's not for everyone.
OK, I share the concern of widespread poor anchor techniques among many sailors. I wince every time I read a comment about a brand of anchor that supposedly holds every time. You cannot solve poor anchor technique with a $1000 anchor. However....
In a crowded anchorage, with all the boats streaming on their gear (curent and wind) the safest place to drop my hook is likely not far off your stern before I back down with plenty of scope. In fact, it is sometimes the only place one can be assured you are not dropping over the top of someone’s gear. I have had folks pull up with disgust—and document they they are the ones who do not understand competent anchoring in a tight spot.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rope, sail