Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2018, 18:26   #1

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Tying off my anchor rode

Ok, I’ve read everything I can get my hands on for anchoring, best anchors, bridles, how to anchor etc.
The ONE thing I can’t find substantial literature / pictures on is how to tie it off to the boat.
I own a 1982 Cape Dory 36. I have 90’ of chain and 300’ of rode. I want to have a bridle to distribute the force between my two deck cleats but can’t find anything on how to attach a rope bridle to my rode.
Any help or direction would be appreciated.
And if you’re wondering why I would ask such a question...... I started a thread “50 and Shoving off”. It will explain a lot and show you how I got to where I am today.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 19:03   #2

Re: Tying off my anchor rode

I have found by far the most reliable method of attaching a bridle, or a single line snubber, to an anchor rode is a simple rolling hitch. It is easy to tie, and has never failed me.

We are anchored 200 nights a year.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 20:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> I have 90’ of chain and 300’ of rode.

Just to be clear, do you have 90' of chain and 210' of rope, making a 300' rode or do you have 90' of chain and 300' of rope making a 390' rode?

Have you tried a forum search. The various options have been discussed at great length many times: For example, here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...de-101011.html

and here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ow-169873.html

and here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ode-93624.html

and here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ine-38912.html

But wait, there's more:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...bber-2380.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...bber-7800.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dle-17318.html

(The same question comes up about once every two years)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 21:08   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stu, just a comment here, how you search on CF has a great deal to do with the success of the search. The plain Search at the top of the menu requires an exact match; whereas the CF Google Custom Search, will actually search on concepts like attaching bridles to rodes, which makes it a lot more user friendly, as it is a familiar search concept. When I read something like SSgtPitt wrote, I think they didn't use the easier search method, no need to chide someone who only needs information. The more we get the word out, the easier searches become for more people. Seems like a worthy service to me!

SSgtPitt, if you make up a longish snubber, with a "Y" shape to it, the rolling hitch attachment will work well, as the pull is always in one direction: make it with two round turns down towards the anchor, and one above. Or, you can make the bridle shorter, and attach to the chain with a hook, but then you'll want two bridles, one for really deep anchoring (the rolling hitch will work on nylon 3 strand, as well as chain).

Ann
Old 25-04-2018, 08:00   #5

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Our bridle hooks to the anchor chain with this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	168717  
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 08:35   #6

Boat: Broadblue 385
Send a message via Skype™ to suedstern1

Hi
The rolling hitch is number 1 solution for me
Best regards
Fred
suedstern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 08:41   #7

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Ok, I’ve read everything I can get my hands on for anchoring, best anchors, bridles, how to anchor etc.
The ONE thing I can’t find substantial literature / pictures on is how to tie it off to the boat.
I own a 1982 Cape Dory 36. I have 90’ of chain and 300’ of rode. I want to have a bridle to distribute the force between my two deck cleats but can’t find anything on how to attach a rope bridle to my rode.
Any help or direction would be appreciated.
And if you’re wondering why I would ask such a question...... I started a thread “50 and Shoving off”. It will explain a lot and show you how I got to where I am today.
Take a look at the mantus bridle and chain hook
https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-bridle/
Old 25-04-2018, 08:49   #8

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"
Re: non expert suggestion to all the "Senior" experts

I suggest before you disdainfully give links to forum info or tell O Ps to search check yourself if the links are still good or if the old topics still are good.

don't mean any disrespect but sending an O P on a wild goose chase of dead ends is not helpful.
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 08:56   #9

Boat: Celestial 48

Just so ya know, a "Y" bridle will not distribute force between your bow cleats. You will nearly always be hanging on one branch of the Y (and one bow cleat) or the other. Chafe will be distributed between the two however, and if one side would part you are still attached to the rode.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:03   #10

Boat: Celestial 48

The bridle stuff really just applies when you are on your chain. In shallow Texas water that might be most the time, but if on your rope rode just provide ample chafe protection at the bow roller, and move line in or out a foot or so every day to move the chafe point around.

BTW "rode" can refer to either chain or rope, its just what attaches anchor to the boat.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 09:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Just so ya know, a "Y" bridle will not distribute force between your bow cleats. You will nearly always be hanging on one branch of the Y (and one bow cleat) or the other. Chafe will be distributed between the two however, and if one side would part you are still attached to the rode.
That has not been my experience, in strong wind anyway. Both sides of the bridle are stretched tight. In fact they stretch a few feet in length! However my boats were long keeled or cats and didnt fish around at anchor.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 11:13   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

SSgt,

If you are a Practical Sailor subscriber, take a peek at this article about Gripping Hitches for Loaded Lines...

The bottom line: [no pun intended...] an Icicle hitch outperformed [in load testing] the rolling hitch [and its variations] and is just as simple to tie [and easier to untie after being loaded...]

In case this is of interest.

Cheers! Bill
Old 25-04-2018, 11:55   #13

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

We use the "Y" arrangement, attaching the bridle to our all-chain rode with a Mantus stainless-steel hook (we started with the cheaper galvanized version and upgraded when it started to corrode). We had a chandlery make us the bridle, splicing in a heavy stainless-steel eye to take the hook-to-rode stress/abrasion.

Keep in mind that it takes a bit of one-handed acrobatics to attach and to remove the hook-to-chain. I need to step outside of the bow rail perched on one foot, hang onto the rail with one hand and attach the hook with the other hand. It's not as bad as this may sound but it is certainly not for everyone.

You'll definitely need anti-chafe gear where the bridle crosses each side of the boat. The stress on the bridle when it blows 20-40 knots is impressive.

P.S. my boat (which is notoriously "active" at anchor) is usually hanging on one side or the other.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:13   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The chafe issue also applies to avoiding chafe on the boat where the line crosses to the outside of the boat. We have little, smooth, polished s/s 1/4 round strips for the line to slide on.

Ann
Old 25-04-2018, 15:31   #15

Boat: Leopard 39

I have a related question involving the other end of the anchor rode. On a recent charter in St. Lucia while anchoring a Lagoon 440 we unintentionally ran all the chain rode out of the anchor box and through the gypsy. (The color code on the chain was quite different than we had been told in the briefing and there was a lot less chain. Also we were not paying close enough attention.) Anyway the rode comes up taut, secured by a 8' length of braided line, half of which had passed through the gypsy as well. The line was secured to the end of the chain with a single Becket bend and to the pad eye in the anchor locker with a bowline. I didn't trust the Becket bend in that situation nor the single run of 5/8" braided line so we hauled in the rode until a couple of feet of chain was in the anchor locker. We then re-tied the braided line with a anchor hitch to the pad eye, leaving two tails that were each tied back into the chain with a bowline, providing double security. This way it was impossible to run all the chain through the gypsy as it would come up on the braided line before all the chain was out. I recognized that this method made it nigh impossible to ditch the anchor quickly in an emergency but I reasoned that's why God made the knife at my waist. My question is: how do you secure your anchor chain inside the anchor box?
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode