Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 08:35   #106

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Most Sailors Can't Anchor Properly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I’ve never put a trip line with float out, but see little difference between swinging into one over the lobster pot floats.
You anchor in the midst of anchor pots? That seems unwise to me. Don’t you risk fouling your undercarriage? Is this normal down your way? Never heard of people doing this up here.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36   #107

Quote:
I’ve never put a trip line with float out, but see little difference between swinging into one over the lobster pot floats.
The difference is that pulling up a float attached to a lobster pot is motivation and cause for a lobster dinner, whereas pulling up someone's anchor provides no reward.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:07   #108
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You anchor in the midst of anchor pots? That seems unwise to me. Don’t you risk fouling your undercarriage? Is this normal down your way? Never heard of people doing this up here.
“Down your way” that’s funny! There is nowhere less than 3’ depth here in Maine where I currently am without a lobster pot!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:24   #109

Quote:
“Down your way” that’s funny! There is nowhere less than 3’ depth here in Maine where I currently am without a lobster pot!
So, I guess the answer is “yes”? You do anchor in the midst of the pots… How do you avoid snagging them with your undercarriage, and even your anchor and rode?

I’m not trying to be an @ss. I really don’t understand how you anchor in the midst of what you describe without getting all afoul. Cruisers ‘up my way’ avoid doing what you describe, for the reasons I describe. But I understand Maine’s waters are known to be thick with pots. Maybe I don’t have to avoid them???
Old 11-08-2018, 09:31   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are places where avoiding pots just isn’t possible, it’s like trying to avoid mosquitoes in a Georgia swap.
I have never had a problem with them, and wished I had a quarter for every time I have been motoring at night and seen a pot float appear right behind my boat, lit by the stern light.
It depends greatly on your boat, mine is very unlikely to wrap a line, others seem to be like line magnets
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:46   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There are places where avoiding pots just isn’t possible, it’s like trying to avoid mosquitoes in a Georgia swap.
I have never had a problem with them, and wished I had a quarter for every time I have been motoring at night and seen a pot float appear right behind my boat, lit by the stern light.
It depends greatly on your boat, mine is very unlikely to wrap a line, others seem to be like line magnets
Yes, my full keeler with encapsulated prop is also pretty hard to foul. But I still wouldn’t anchor in the midst of them. But if I understand Don correctly, he’s saying he does, and has no problem. So maybe I’m being overly cautious (not the first time ).
Old 11-08-2018, 11:05   #112
cruiser

Quote:
They’re millions of them everywhere in Maine, the pots really can’t be avoided. The number of pots is truly mind boggling. It’s more like the lobster men are farming the lobsters rather than catching them, I think they catch the same critters every day just waiting for them to become large enough to become “keepers.”
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:24   #113
CLOD

Quote:
So, I guess the answer is “yes”? You do anchor in the midst of the pots… How do you avoid snagging them with your undercarriage, and even your anchor and rode?

I’m not trying to be an @ss. I really don’t understand how you anchor in the midst of what you describe without getting all afoul. Cruisers ‘up my way’ avoid doing what you describe, for the reasons I describe. But I understand Maine’s waters are known to be thick with pots. Maybe I don’t have to avoid them???
Picked one up yesterday with my anchor, which was a first. I’ve caught a few on my keel over the years sailing, mostly happens in light wind. Caught one once with my dinghy painter that was hanging down and looped on one.

You do the best you can and the odds are really in your favor to not catch them. But I swear they drop the pots in places where they are darning you to catch (like right in the middle of the narro channel)
Old 11-08-2018, 12:29   #114
CLOD

Quote:
Yes, my full keeler with encapsulated prop is also pretty hard to foul. But I still wouldn’t anchor in the midst of them. But if I understand Don correctly, he’s saying he does, and has no problem. So maybe I’m being overly cautious (not the first time ).
I don’t anchor right in the middle of them. But there’s not any way to anchor with enough rode to not swing into them in all directions if the wind shifts. Hell the lobster guys drop them in the middle of mooring fields.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:44   #115

Thanks guys. I really haven't experienced anything like what you have to deal with. We have crab and lobster traps, but they have a defined seasons, and aren't nearly as ubiquitous.

Another reason to cruise up here [emoji6].
Old 11-08-2018, 14:15   #116
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

You should also consider putting out an anchor buoy and pickup line whenever there are conditions (storm forecast with ships anchored upwind) or any scenario where you may need to quickly release and abandon anchor to save boat.

I always do that during a typhoon situation as I know local ferries and tankers will drag all over the place.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 15:09   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

How do you go about quickly releasing an anchor?
Only way I could is to run out all of the chain, but I’ve been considering attaching it inside of the Boat to keep it from being inadvertently being run out, which would of course make it so I couldn’t release the anchor in a timely manner.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 15:12   #118

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Put an eye bolt inside the anchor locker, tie a strong line to it and to the chain such that the last few links are still on the gypsy when the line is taught. In emergency just cut the line.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 15:15   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Put an eye bolt inside the anchor locker, tie a strong line to it and to the chain such that the last few links are still on the gypsy when the line is taught. In emergency just cut the line.

This is my setup as well. Luckily, I've never had to test the system ... yet.
Old 11-08-2018, 15:35   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How do you go about quickly releasing an anchor?
Only way I could is to run out all of the chain, but I’ve been considering attaching it inside of the Boat to keep it from being inadvertently being run out, which would of course make it so I couldn’t release the anchor in a timely manner.
As others have said. A line that you can untie/cut between the bitter end of the chain and a strongpoint. Should be standard on every all chain rode.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rope, sail