Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 23:46   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Mantus anchor or Rocna ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
Well....if you don't mind may I offer my thoughts? Im a researcher. I'm one that needs to dig deep on info to get piece of mind. I was THIS close to purchasing the new Manson Boss. I read something that changed my mind.
I have seen very few objective reports on the Boss. The lack of positive feedback is surprising. It is a new anchor and I would not dismiss it yet, but the roll bar anchors are very well proven and at the top of the anchoring hierarchy and that is what I would buy.
Can you share what you read on the Boss?

Quote:
While sitting in a high wind out in the 1000 islands one morning having a coffee on deck, before my eyes my SS CQR let go after holding for 2.5 days in various current and winds!
I am no fan of the CQR. To be fair CQR never made a SS anchor so it should be called a plough anchor. The good plough anchors are just as good (or bad ) as the genuine CQR, but some of the copies are worse.

Quote:
I found out that it retains the same technology of welding layers of metal together along the edges rather then one solid piece of metal. Call me nuts but that just doesn't sit well with me. The Rocna offers lifetime warranty on their anchor...even if just bent! They obviously have no worries since they use one piece solid metal. I've seen images of a Supreme with a bent tip and galvanized portions rusting. Maybe you all can help me? You have images of a Rocna bent and rusting?
I think the photos you saw were taken by me. This was in the early days of the Manson Supreme and I was concerned at the time that we would see a great number of similar cases. I think the fears were were unfounded. While any anchor can bend I have not seen of heard of another tip bending on Manson Supreme (or any on a Rocna)
The Galvanising on the NZ Rocna's proved a little disappointing. Failing a bit earlier than it should. The galvanising on the Chinese Rocna's looks completely different, but it is too early to tell how its holding up. (I have an impression that the galvanising on Chinese anchors often even cheap ones is quite good. Perhaps the reduced Health and safety laws in that country help). Mansion's galvanising I would describe as just OK.

I think the lifetime warranty on bending is a great bonus.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 00:11   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I was wandering around the boatyard yesterday ( a great way to see how anchors have held up) and saw a few interesting anchors (most boats drop there anchors on the ground over winter so it is great way to see a hundred or more anchors)

This one caught my eye
Not one but two extra holes drilled in the shank. Also note they have painted the roll bar, shank and interestingly only one half of the fluke (presumably for contrast) white so it is more easily seen underwater.

Also it looked like a genuine Rocna with the same welding pattern etc, but the back of fluke was a bit different, more squared off and the roll bar was not attached in the same way. They did briefly construct some Rocna's in Canada. Were these slightly different and is this an example ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	70529  
Old 16-11-2013, 06:35   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We have a Canadian Rocna that looks like the one in your picture. However, every Rocna I have seen has the flipped up back on the fluke and the rollbar welded to the ears. So I don't see what is different in this one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 07:24   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is another photo.
You can see how the blade has been squared off rather than the more rounded shape. Also the roll bar is only welded over 90 degrees rather than over 180 degrees. The fluke extends much wider than the width of the roll bar. I have included a photo of a new rocna for comparison. Although one photo is a Chinese model the NZ model was welded the same ( without the cast lettering)

Just curious, this Rocna did not "look right" on the heal of the fluke, but was too good for a copy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27C8C727-831C-4873-9020-4841A47DCF01-5521-0000034DD0980389_zps681ea8e9.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	70534   Click image for larger version

Name:	2989F05B-8315-4173-AA4F-9935E7215469-5521-0000034F6342BFAE_zpsac206594.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	70535  

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	70536  
Old 16-11-2013, 07:29   #20

I believe I read on mansons web site that if the roll bar causes no fitment problems the surpreme is a better choice. But I am not positive I read it there as I suffer from CRS
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 08:53   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I see. Yes, that is different than our Canadian-built Rocna. Ours looks like the normal ones in the other pics.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 13:11   #22

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I believe I read on mansons web site that if the roll bar causes no fitment problems the surpreme is a better choice. But I am not positive I read it there as I suffer from CRS
I doubt that they would say such a thing, but please provide a link if they did!

I have a boss which I love, but am still waiting for a decent comparative test. I went with the boss because a hoop wouldn't fit through my bowsprit.

This is the only testing info I've seen. They had to stop testing because they kept bending their shackles:
Sail-World.com : New Manson Boss proves to be a shackle bender on test
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2013, 13:36   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post

This is the only testing info I've seen. They had to stop testing because they kept bending their shackles:
Shackle bending makes a great story, but it should be rembered that these were in house tests and the forces were only at (or slightly below) those achieved by the 2006 sail et al test on similar sized anchors including the Manson Supreme. This test was stopped at 5000 lbs presumably because of risk to equipment. Several anchors, including the MS still held at the maximium pull.

It as a pity that there has been few reports about the Boss. It is an exciting anchor and if members have any experience it would be great to hear.
Old 16-11-2013, 13:42   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Being that the main thing folks have concerns about with the Boss is setting and resetting capability, the fact that it has high straight line holding power is kinda irrelevant.

This test does not seem to address the salient factors.

Jim
Old 16-11-2013, 14:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Shackle bending makes a great story, but it should be rembered that these were in house tests and the forces were only at (or slightly below) those achieved by the 2006 sail et al test on similar sized anchors including the Manson Supreme. This test was stopped at 5000 lbs presumably because of risk to equipment. Several anchors, including the MS still held at the maximium pull.

It as a pity that there has been few reports about the Boss. It is an exciting anchor and if members have any experience it would be great to hear.
The second test with larger shackles was stopped at 9250 lb according to the story I linked.

I agree that side by side tests, including resetting would be great to see. I would be very interested to see some resetting test videos to see how it behaves in a veer.

We've had the anchor for a year in the PNW. It sets hard and fast first time every time. We set with near full revs for about 30 seconds to a minute. We've only had it in a veer (180 degrees from the way we set it) once, but it was only about 15 knots of wind, so not a real test.
Old 16-11-2013, 18:42   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
The second test with larger shackles was stopped at 9250 lb according to the story I linked.
Sorry my mistake a read the 4200kg as 4200 lbs.

As you point out 9250 lbs is a very impressive for a 35lb anchor.
Old 16-11-2013, 23:02   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Neither. The Rocna is a good anchor, the mantua I have not tried, but there are other options. I have chased one of them. SARCA EXCEL and FORTRESS
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 03:33   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Neither. The Rocna is a good anchor, the mantua I have not tried, but there are other options. I have chased one of them. SARCA EXCEL and FORTRESS
I think he has probably bought an anchor by now.

The other problem with some of these new anchors is they are just not available in some countries which is a real shame.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 08:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think he has probably bought an anchor by now.

The other problem with some of these new anchors is they are just not available in some countries which is a real shame.

Pete
Totally agree. "What is the best anchor" turns out to be a very regional questions due to availability.
Old 18-11-2013, 03:54   #30
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I was wandering around the boatyard yesterday ( a great way to see how anchors have held up) and saw a few interesting anchors (most boats drop there anchors on the ground over winter so it is great way to see a hundred or more anchors)

This one caught my eye
Not one but two extra holes drilled in the shank. Also note they have painted the roll bar, shank and interestingly only one half of the fluke (presumably for contrast) white so it is more easily seen underwater.

Also it looked like a genuine Rocna with the same welding pattern etc, but the back of fluke was a bit different, more squared off and the roll bar was not attached in the same way. They did briefly construct some Rocna's in Canada. Were these slightly different and is this an example ?
There was another forum where an owner thought he had a 'copy' Rocna. Same cast fluke but different embossing. Briefly - apparently CMP thought to transfer production (from Shanghai) to their Ningbo plant (where they make the chain) and made a batch (or batches) of 'genuine' anchors and then 'went off the idea'. Some of the Ningbo anchors turned up in Thailand - and obviously some in the Med.

I'm sure someone from CMP/Rocna could give more detail'

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Mantus, rocna, mantus