Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26   #31

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Is there a quality Anchor swivel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I do the same exact thing on my Crosby 209A shackels. I always use the Crosby 209A, because they have double the WLL rating for just a few dollars more. After its all cut and drilled their is still room to put a wrench on it to tighten. They are one of the few shackles on the market that mark the size and the WLL rating into there shackle so you always no what you have even years later.
Do you coat the exposed cut steel with something ?
Or will the remaining galvanizing (zinc) protect it ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Do you coat the exposed cut steel with something ?
Or will the remaining galvanizing (zinc) protect it ?
The remaining galvanizing (zinc) does protect it, but I spay on a coat of cold galvanizing paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cold Galv.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	52184  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03   #33

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I have never had a swivel. Don't see why I would want one unless perhaps I was permanently anchored somewhere and was too lazy to check the anchor each week or so.

I use a swivel because the anchor chain twisted so badly it was getting to be a problem for the gypsy during retrieval. I think the boat swinging around the anchor was the cause of twisted chain. I still find my chain twisted but not as badly so maybe the swivel is only half doing its job.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09   #34

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There is a good test of swivels here.

Connectors

If you are going to use a swivel make it a good quality one (kong have a good reputation) and put a few links of chain between the swivel and anchor to reduce the side load.
I use a galvanized swivel purchased from West Marine for about $50. It is huge!

But back to your recommendation of adding a few links of chain between the swivel and the anchor--- go for it if you can! I cannot. The distance between my gypsy and the anchor with a swivel and a couple of shackles just about allows the anchor to hang like a dangling ...you know what. If I add more chain, the anchor itself would be at risk of hanging off the bow roller. Big anchors have long shanks and mine is an 80# Manson Supreme
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I use a swivel because the anchor chain twisted so badly it was getting to be a problem for the gypsy during retrieval. I think the boat swinging around the anchor was the cause of twisted chain. I still find my chain twisted but not as badly so maybe the swivel is only half doing its job.
There seem to be three reasons that people fit swivels.
1.Sometimes the gypsy will impart a twist to the chain. Cruisers that have experienced this report a swivel only helps marginally.

2. If the boat remains anchored for a long time and swings around the same way the chain can be wound up.
This must be rare, because I have only ever experienced this once, despite anchoring almost 365 days a year. However a rarely anchor in same place for long, and it it may be more of factor in areas of consistent reversing winds ,or currents. Swivels seem to help considerably.

3. If the anchor comes up backwards the swivel makes it easier rotate the right way. I have always found a quick push with a boat hook solves the problem and even a large anchor will rotate without a swivel, but a bit of trial and error will show if there is advantage.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:18   #36

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Is there a Quality Anchor Swivel?

It seems that a fourth reason that chain twists is from using a combined rode. The rope section can spiral on the roller as it deploys, especially when using three-strand rope.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:29   #37

I use a swivel to make sure the anchor enters the roller right side up. It makes anchor raising considerably less stressful and is much kinder to the windlass if you have ananchor that likes to come up backwards.

I also use the Ultra swivel. Not cheap but it is very solidly built with a design that avoids side loading issues.

Ultra Anchors
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
May look something like this.

"Popular "bullet" style in-line swivel, separated from the anchor by a few links of chain in order to ensure that forces applied can only ever be along the axis of rotation."
That's the type of system I use, but it won't solve the OP's problem because there's still a shackle on the anchor that can get caught in the roller. I would never attach the swivel directly to the anchor.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06   #39

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

That's the type of system I use, but it won't solve the OP's problem because there's still a shackle on the anchor that can get caught in the roller. I would never attach the swivel directly to the anchor.
Exactly! I'am going to check out the Kong swivel. I singlehand most of the time & have a remote windlass switch at the upper helm. I'am not concerned with side loads because the current keeps the bow pointing up river. The current is also the reason I use the helm switch instead of the toe switches at the bow. Some people call them a clevis others a shackle they are the same thing & that is what created the problem in the 1st place. If nothing else ill do away with the swivel & use a connector link.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The Kong swivels have proof ratings for side pulls as well as straight pulls. If the side pull rating matches the rest of your ground tackle, then I don't see anything wrong with attaching it directly to your anchor, a role for which it was designed. It has a very smooth bullet shape so very good for going over the bow roller

That being said, I'm glad to be back to using a plain shackle with no swivel at all. I am using the Wichard forged stainless allen key shackle which looks like this:

Name:	A-WICHARD-1344-0002.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	52202

It doesn't have anything sticking out of it, so it goes over the bow roller quite well also. I use Loctite on the screw for extra security.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27   #41
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Could be the fault of the anchor roller.
I have a bit of electrical conduit as a roller. Works fine.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:40   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dedicated anchor shackles like this are hard to find. Hence the need often to modify what is available.
Note the smooth contour and the mousing hole that cannot catch on anything. Locktight is great, but there is a reassurance when mousing a shackle that's hard to beat when you sleep, or leave the boat.

I have a couple of these on my boat, but a 20 mm shackle will no longer fit my chain. It's bloody big. Most things on my boat are oversized, but this is serious anchor shackle.

Why is this style of shackle not readily available in more usable sizes?

Even better make it in 10 -12 mm titanium, my guess is the cost would be about $50-$75, but it would last a lifetime and avoid the biannual replacement of a galvanised/ SS shackle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	52203  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20   #43

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Here is the Titanium stuff
D Shackles
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:32   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is the Titanium stuff
D Shackles
Thanks for the link a 3/8 inch schakle wit WL of 6000 lb virtually immune to crevice corrosion is appealing. It's a pity they do dont make a smooth design with mousing capability but at $55 it a could be modified and would last a lifetime. One less thing to worry about and maintain.
Old 04-01-2013, 13:19   #45

Boat: Lagoon 440

Had a mate whose SS shackles were constantly being plated with Zinc from the chain, he had an all chain rode.

After months of delving he considered he should isolate the Electric Anchor Winch both on '+' and '-' poles, since then no more build up of Zinc on his 'non-zinc' bits.

Seems the chain was an anode.

Cheers

Tags
anchor