Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 03:48   #16

Re: Impromptu mooring buoy creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Since everyone local is out to get you, the motor idea is likely to pull the authorities in if there is the slightest trace of oil in the engine block.
A 2-stroke that hasn't been used in 4 years doesn't have oil in the block. I'm not worried about the pollutant side with this POS engine at all. It's been baked through four summers now without a drop of fuel attached.

I'll refrain from responding to the more smart ass side of your comments. When your boat gets stolen, you will likely come around to my point of view.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
A 2-stroke that hasn't been used in 4 years doesn't have oil in the block. I'm not worried about the pollutant side with this POS engine at all. It's been baked through four summers now without a drop of fuel attached.
Do a half way decent job of cleaning the oil out and I could care less. The rules get silly.

But if the people are really out to get you, good luck proving there is no oil contamination when the local citizens and their elected officials decide they found a good way to move you along. You claiming any residual oil is baked on isn't going to hold up when they hand over the very expensive fine for dumping oil.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:48   #18

Quote:
Do a half way decent job of cleaning the oil out and I could care less. The rules get silly.

But if the people are really out to get you, good luck proving there is no oil contamination when the local citizens and their elected officials decide they found a good way to move you along. You claiming any residual oil is baked on isn't going to hold up when they hand over the very expensive fine for dumping oil.
Do you have any idea how a 2 cycle engine operates?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:17   #19

Quote:
Do you have any idea how a 2 cycle engine operates?
I do.

Do you have any idea how draconian the oil pollution rules are if they decide to enforce them?
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51   #20

Quote:
I do.

Do you have any idea how draconian the oil pollution rules are if they decide to enforce them?
If you do, then you know that there is no oil in the crankcase of a 2-cycle engine. This is a non-issue.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:01   #21

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

From the quotes, I've read on various threads, here and elsewhere, you're only safe adjacent to your piece of land. "He's blocking my view." "I helped elect you. Etc..."
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:03   #22

Quote:
If you do, then you know that there is no oil in the crankcase of a 2-cycle engine. This is a non-issue.
It's not filled with a quart of oil like a 4stroke but the inside surfaces are coated and the lower unit is filled with oil...but more importantly, there is no lower limit on the amount where it's not technically a violation. Just a slight sheen on the water and you are in violation. If they can find any trace of oil on it, they can pursue it.

If you are good friends with the neighbors, odds are no one says or does anything about it. If not, they have all they need to get the water cops out to pursue it and make your life difficult.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:22   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

An old 2 stroke isn't going to weight enough in a blow and then there is a 2 knot tide twice a day. It will just drag along the bottom.

What you need is the steel keel off a scrap yacht, lead would be a tragedy given its value. The problem is how to move it. Easy for me as the diving club has lifting bags, but a couple of 45 gallon drums will do. Tow into place and cut the ropes standing well back.

100 ft is a deep mooring, you are gong to need a long length of heavy rope or chain to reach the surface and some extra.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:43   #24
Marine Service Provider

If your looking for an inexpensive option for mooring check these out! Cost is $100-$499 and take 10mins-30mins for install.

https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/skrew-mooring-anchor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22130-11229090.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	160159   Click image for larger version

Name:	quote bubble.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	160160  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skrew_02.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	160161  
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:15   #25

Boat: OEM, proportional

Would several heavy weights added one after the other add up to one big one? First time out, the danforth and the deceased outboard; on following trips, whatever heavy inert lump you can find with a loop of chain to go around the main mooring rode. As long as the whole mess is fairly close together, it should hold, eh?
Old 06-12-2017, 11:23   #26

Boat: 41' yawl

I think your junkyard-on-a-chain idea is a pretty good way to foul your danforth.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:36   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
If your looking for an inexpensive option for mooring check these out! Cost is $100-$499 and take 10mins-30mins for install.

https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/skrew-mooring-anchor
Very good, have you read the thread or just decided to put an advert up?

Just in case you missed it, he wants to anchor in water that could be 100ft deep with the tide. So how difficult will it be to screw one of these things in whilst at a depth of 30m? The old RNPL tables used to give a no stop time of 20 minutes, is that enough?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:59   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Let me see if I understand what you want to do.

1. You want to place a mooring arrangement at a depth of about 60' (average) on an unspecified bottom.

2. It has to suit a 27' sail boat in all but storm conditions.

3. You can't carry or deploy really heavy weights.

4. You are constrained in regard to budget.

5. This is DIY project, no professional mooring people involved.

Hmm... to my mind, this is big ask!

The best I can think of is to cobble together a whole lot of smaller weights dropped individually and yet tied together by the end of the job. I shudder to think about the possibility of having to remove such an arrangement in the future - either by choice or by direction of some authority.

A certain amount of luck will be needed and perhaps some offerings to various gods might not go astray.

So perhaps doable but not easy IMO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 17:32   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Going back to the OP, I see the following:

Quote:
Depth would be about 35-40ft at zero chart datum and maybe near 100ft at top end in a king tide.
This seems to imply a 60 foot tidal range. Seems unlikely to me, being greater than any recorded by Hydrographic offices, so perhaps a recalculation of the maximum depth might be in order. At any rate, no need to screw in anchors at the top of a king tide, and doing it at the stipulated 35-40 feet would not present any diving issues beyond getting someone to do it.

A screw anchor surely will be better than any of the mickey mouse proposals mr C has mentioned so far.

Jim
Old 06-12-2017, 18:54   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Let me see if I understand what you want to do.

1. You want to place a mooring arrangement at a depth of about 60' (average) on an unspecified bottom.

2. It has to suit a 27' sail boat in all but storm conditions.

3. You can't carry or deploy really heavy weights.

4. You are constrained in regard to budget.

5. This is DIY project, no professional mooring people involved.

Hmm... to my mind, this is big ask!

The best I can think of is to cobble together a whole lot of smaller weights dropped individually and yet tied together by the end of the job. I shudder to think about the possibility of having to remove such an arrangement in the future - either by choice or by direction of some authority.

A certain amount of luck will be needed and perhaps some offerings to various gods might not go astray.

So perhaps doable but not easy IMO.
Hahahaha I laughed pretty hard reading your post.

I might be off on the depth. Looking at the charts, zero chart datum about where I want to drop it is about 50 ft. A predicted king tide this week will push the water up 17ft above chart datum, so for safety's sake I'd make that 20. So it would be 50-70ft. Jim is correct, the tidal swings aren't as extreme as my initial estimates.

Current is max 2 kts in this location, probably less most of the time due to two shoals connecting this channel to a larger space of open water. Wind is always outflow or inflow and rather predictable. Waves are generated only by wind, no swells. The biggest waves are deep wakes from freighters or wakes by passing large displacement power boats; the area is sheltered mostly from the powerboat wakes and the deep wakes will hit two shoals before getting to this location. Windwise it is largely protected on three side, given the predictability of the winds the chances of anything with much power or fetch hitting it from the one side due to the shape of the channel.

Bottom type is mud, sand and small rocks. Excellent holding it is a known anchorage. Every time I've anchored there the anchor has set on the first try.

Of primary concern is that the contraption doesn't drift, and if it drifts slowly, hopefully it is light enough that I can winch it up and reposition it back (of course). Secondarily, I want to make sure there isn't too much swing at low tides, endangering other boats on scope or having the boat drift too close to shore where there are private docks. Closer to shore there is an area of 16 ft at zero chart datum which is enough for my boat.

Hopefully this helps a bit

Tags
mooring