Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 08:54   #1

Boat: Bayfield 40
Rocna on a Bayfield 40

So, Rocna anchors are on sale for 2 more days and I’d like to upgrade our Bruce.

However, I’m away from the boat and have some concerns about fit on our bowsprit.

Any Bayfield owners out there who have installed a Rocna???

We are leaning towards the Vulcan as we’ve heard they work better with a large bowsprit.

Also weight: fully loaded we are 25,000 lbs so thinking the 55lb Rocna would be a good upgrade. We currently have a 45lb Bruce.

Thanks for your opinions!
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:14   #2

Re: Rocna on a Bayfield 40

Anchor sizing is part of a system, which includes boat weight, windage, the holding power of the anchor and your expected exposure. Too much anchor and you're carrying around a storm anchor instead of a bower anchor. Most of us using Rocna made anchors have found their tables to be very conservative and helpful for sizing, but if your plans are to round Cape Horn that's a different choice than if you are cruising locally.

Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Why Swivels are a bad idea Ground Tackle & Anchor System Sizing TABLES & Swivels

If your only question was "fit" on your Bayfield, sorry can't help.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:35   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

IIRC, your anchor shank comes up through a slot in your bowsprit. If so the standard Rocna will NOT fit. If you have a roller on the end you should be fine.

I think the 20kg will be too small for you as it's undersized according to Rocna's recommendations. I would not oversize their anchor, just go with their recommended size.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

If you can not fit an anchor with a roll bar you may want to consider the Spade Anchor it is on sale this month. https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:39   #5

And if a Spade doesn't fit you may try an Excel. And when the Excel doesn't fit you might try Mantus... (wonder if some producers have a trigger that notifies them whenever 'my' Rocna is being mentioned?)
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

blu3534
And if a Spade doesn't fit you may try an Excel. And when the Excel doesn't fit you might try Mantus... (wonder if some producers have a trigger that notifies them whenever 'my' Rocna is being mentioned?)

blu, cannot speak for all but I'm sure most are watching these threads.
I had no plans to get involved in a rocna thread until an EXCEL gets mentioned, so thanks for the invite.
I would hope that price isn't the overall deciding factor as the savings are insignificant over the life of an anchor. Panope's videos are great (thanks Steve) and a search will provide vids of most anchors including the rocna.
Bayfield 40 / 25,000lbs. I would confidently recommend the EXCEL #5 47lb/22kg for that vessel. If she has the stock bow roller and the furling drum isn't sitting right on deck, #5 will fit nicely.
#5 lists for $745 CAD/ $587 USD. There is a shipping rate calculator within our online store.
We have no specials on right now. We will be offering a boat show discount of 10% for Vancouver Jan 17-21 and Seattle Jan 26-Feb 03. Looking fwd to those events, talking anchors and boats for days on end is fun for all of us.
Chris, Nick & John
www.groundtackle.com
Old 05-12-2017, 16:42   #7

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Stu Jackson, do you really us a Rocna 10 on a 34' Catalina? Do you also have a bigger anchor? A Rocna 15 is the smallest they recommend for your boat. I use a Rocna 10 on my Capri 22 although the Rocna 6 would have been fine. I guess the 10 is fine in decent weather but not so sure in heavy winds.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 17:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Stu Jackson, do you really us a Rocna 10 on a 34' Catalina? Do you also have a bigger anchor? A Rocna 15 is the smallest they recommend for your boat. I use a Rocna 10 on my Capri 22 although the Rocna 6 would have been fine. I guess the 10 is fine in decent weather but not so sure in heavy winds.
Yes, I do.

I do not have a windlass. When I lived in Northern California, I could literally choose the weather I chose to sail in. My system worked up to 42 knots. I used it for almost 10 years there, it worked just fine (except for when an unusual wind shear front came through a few years ago with gusts over 60 knots - it was daytime, well predicted and I dragged, pulled into an empty nearby slip). We didn't have night time thunderstorms. The conditions were entirely predictable.

Now that I have moved to southwestern British Columbia, I have different challenges.

Still no windlass...
Old 05-12-2017, 17:46   #9

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yes, I do.

I do not have a windlass. When I lived in Northern California, I could literally choose the weather I chose to sail in. My system worked up to 42 knots. I used it for almost 10 years there, it worked just fine (except for when an unusual wind shear front came through a few years ago with gusts over 60 knots - it was daytime, well predicted and I dragged, pulled into an empty nearby slip). We didn't have night time thunderstorms. The conditions were entirely predictable.

Now that I have moved to southwestern British Columbia, I have different challenges.

Still no windlass...
Makes sense. I know Rocna is VERY conservative in their recommendations. I bought the Rocna 10 for my Capri instead of the Rocna 6 because it was on sale for less than the Rocna 6 and I could still haul it up by hand.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:43   #10
Marine Service Provider

No windlass? Take a look https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/produ...ade-a-aluminum. During the sale take 25% off all posted prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spade_aluminum_.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	160154  
Old 06-12-2017, 06:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
No windlass? Take a look https://www.spadeanchorusa.com/produ...ade-a-aluminum. During the sale take 25% off all posted prices.
Thanks for the idea. Is there one with a roll bar? Works better for my anchor roller arrangement. Also, I'm in Canada. Any issues with shipping costs? I remember discussions about weight and holding power, I'll go look at your 'site.

Just did. A80 or A100?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Thanks for the idea. Is there one with a roll bar? Works better for my anchor roller arrangement. Also, I'm in Canada. Any issues with shipping costs? I remember discussions about weight and holding power, I'll go look at your 'site.

Just did. A80 or A100?

We do not offer an Aluminum roll Bar version of the Spade Anchor. The Spade Anchor has a lead filled tip that creates a natural ballast, eliminating the need for a roll bar.

Shipping to Canada is not a problem.

Tags
rocna