Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2014, 06:26   #1

Boat: Slocum 43
Dyneema Anchor Shackle

A bit if a quandary lately with an anchor shackle, bow roller and swivel set up. I'll spare the details but I'm looking at options.

Has anyone used a Dyneema type shackle for connecting chain to an anchor?

I'm thinking abrasion would negate it's use.

Thoughts?
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:12   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Dyneema anchor shackle

Dyneema is extremely abrasion resistant and I use soft shackles almost exclusively on my boat. The anchor to chain connection, however, remains a Crosby galvanized steel shackle. I think that that application is too much to ask of synthetics.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 14:25   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

I use a soft-shackle for the snubber connection to the chain. But I agree with Mike above and also use Crosby shackle for the chain to anchor.
Old 16-08-2014, 14:47   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Same as Paul L
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 00:04   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I have to agree. As much as I love dyneema, i wouldn't trust it on an anchor. I MIGHT consider a continuious loup, but only for a lunch hook.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 23:21   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Thumbs down Re: Dyneema anchor shackle

I'd say thumbs down. As you'd be purposefully connecting two pieces of metal, with sharp corners & very rough finishes, essentially with string. And then asking said piece of cordage to hold up in an environment where all of the bits are extremely highly loaded, & endlessly drug through; rock, coral, sand...
I'm a BIG fan of Dyneema/Spectra, but not for use in environments which resemble a cross between my knife & a belt sander. And my knife's yet to meet ANY cordage which it can't cut in less time than it takes to draw it from my sheath.

Is there actually a company marketing these shackles?

Stick with a standard shackle, check it's mousing wire/cotter pin regularly, & call it good. Besides, I can't say as I can recall of any time when I heard of a standard shackle failing.
Plus, & here's the bonus, down near the hook's where you want weight anyway... and Dyneema floats, so...
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 23:43   #7

Have used it successfully on the anchor chain to line without any negative effects over a variety of boats.

Have a couple of boats that we are going to try using it in exactly the way that you have mentioned. We have backed it with a wichard ss shackle, not what you want down there, but the only shackles that are made anymore that will actually match the strength of the chain and anchor and fit through both.

There are a few swivels that claim to be the same strength, but they all have bad reputations for breaking, and they are all stainless steel too. The problem is that Acco used to make hi test shackles and hi test galvanized swivels, instead opting to have crap made in china that is less than 1/2 the strength of the chain.

So $500 for a ss swivel that is guaranteed to crevice corrode the minute it gets wet, or galvanized that is 1/2 the strength made by questionable vendors in a country known for cutting corners?

Would I trust the dyneema in coral, no, but then again I would not be anchoring with a chain and rope rode in coral either.

I have seen quite a few boats using dyneema soft shackles in their hurricane snubbers and mooring pendants, year after year. All of them have held up very well, even some that I thought were set up wrong over sharp corners.

My take is that it will probably work better than a 1/2 strength shackle as long as you are on a bottom that isn't coral or coral rubble. Will let you know as we continue to test here in the soft bottomed San Fransisco Bay.

Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 13:37   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On your testing of Spectra shackles, might I suggest applying MaxiJacket, or MaxiJacket HP to them, in order to increase their wear resistance. Assuming that you haven't done so already. And dare I ask if you have?
Here are the links to the products mentioned.
http://www.yalecordage.com/pleasure-marine-ropes/coatings/maxijacket-high-performance-hp.html

http://www.yalecordage.com/search-results?cx=006114483263155052128%3Ak27ycdeb8ac&cof =FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=maxijacket&sa=&siteurl=yalecordage.com%2F&ref= &ss=4696j3189022j10

And a vendor which carries the above.
http://www.apsltd.com/p-21901-maxi-jacket-quart.aspx
http://www.apsltd.com/p-26219-maxi-jacket-high-performance-quart.aspx

They used to make MaxiJacket available in quantities smaller than a quart, & odds are you could find it thusly, that or beg a Tablespoon or three from a racer who uses it in copious amounts.
Also, there are other, proprietary, rope coatings, which improve abrasion resistance by a good bit, out there. These, for example by Marlow http://www.marlowropes.com/marine-a-offshore-products/rope-coatings-mo.html Though I've zero experience with them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 05:25   #9

Boat: Slocum 43

Pretty much ruled out a soft shackle as a connection. Abrasion is the main concern regardless of protection. I haven't tried any of the jackets to date.

Most of my anchoring is sand or mud so corral is not the issue. But abrasion on the anchor and connecting chain is a concern even with some type of protection.

The search for a solution goes on.. As was mentioned, swivels have there own issues and I do not want to replace the bow roller.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 16:50   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Here's a thought: if you want a swivel but are worried about their frequent failures in the real world, you could use one and then add a Dyneema soft shackle as a backup. It would be unloaded (and hence less likely to chafe) unless the swivel failed, but then would keep you attached to the anchor.

I believe that Evans S was using a dyneema lashing to back up chain joiners in a similar fashion. He might have a comment to make on the subject.

Jim
Old 22-08-2014, 16:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ I agree with the majority here and would not use dyneema (alone) between anchor and chain. There is just too much down there with sharp edges that could cut dyneema (especially when it is loaded).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 21:02   #12

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Tested my Dyneema soft shackles last week when i added 100 ft of chain to my
rode. Connected chain to chain using Crosby shackles but also connected with
a soft shackle I made, leaving Crosby shackles unloaded. Spent 3 nights at anchor
in Fishers Island's West harbor, which included a little weather that dropped 13 inches
of rain in central Long Island in 1 hour. Soft shackle took entire load and looked
non the worse for wear upon retrival. Would never depend on soft shackle alone.
Use soft shackle to connect snubber no problem.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 21:22   #13

Hugosalt, interesting case history. Thanks for posting it. Dyneema is incredible stuff!

Jim
Old 23-08-2014, 13:07   #14

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Here's a thought: if you want a swivel but are worried about their frequent failures in the real world, you could use one and then add a Dyneema soft shackle as a backup. It would be unloaded (and hence less likely to chafe) unless the swivel failed, but then would keep you attached to the anchor.
IMO, the soft shackle would prevent the swivel from rotating freely. A swivel would only be useful when anchoring for longer than one day (more than 2 changes of tide). Then, the soft shackle would be badly twisted.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 13:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
IMO, the soft shackle would prevent the swivel from rotating freely. A swivel would only be useful when anchoring for longer than one day (more than 2 changes of tide). Then, the soft shackle would be badly twisted.

Alain
Good point! Idea withdrawn from consideration...

Jim

Tags
anchor, dyneema