Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bowman 57 - Aleria
CQR Blues

Our boat came with an 80 lb CQR. We dragged a couple of times so we replaced it with a modern Scoop type anchor and never looked back. Not wishing to waste a perfectly serviceable anchor with no damage, we redeployed the CQR for a running mooring for our 19 foot tender.

This worked just fine all summer. Today we are experiencing a gale (45-50knots), and guess what - the CQR dragged and our tender wound up on the rocks. For the skeptics, we have really good holding here. Mud/sand combination that is neither too hard nor too soft. Our harbor is quite protected - at least from any wave action.

Does anyone have a suggestion what to do with it now, besides using it as a lawn ornament next to our big fisherman anchor?
goincruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: CQR Blues

How long was your scope... or did you figure an 80lb CQR would not need much for a runabout...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: CQR Blues

Very interesting. I switch to a new tech anchor but still have my old 45lb CQR as a spare. I used one for years and only had a problem dragging once. Am quite surprised that a dinghy could drag an 80lb anchor.

I ask the same, how much scope did you have out? Are you sure a freak tornado didn't swope down and carry the dinghy to the rocks?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59   #4

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

I am sceptical too,having trusted my familys life and vessel in anchorages on a 6yr cicumnavigation, to a 45lb genuine CQR with all chain rode (70mtrs x 10mm chain).
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03   #5

Boat: cal 40

There is no way a properly set, scoped, w/chain, huge 80#cqr would be dragged by a 19' tender. I can see the 57'er dragging it.
Explain it to me, I am a skeptic.
Loquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

My you guys are quick on the uptake.

re your Qs: 20' 3/8" chain (from our big boat) plus 60' rope rode. Max Spring High Water (today) depth is 15' - and I do know we are having spring tides now

Yes, Loquat, our big boat is 57', and I honestly did not think our tender could possibly drag an 80# hook, no matter how poorly it was designed. it does not even have a mast.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:19   #7

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Did you just set the CQR, and then let it stay as a mooring?

IF so, is there any chance that the tender dragged because it managed to pull the CQR out, by pulling on it the wrong way?

Even the new style anchors are suppose to "unhook" if you pull on them from around 180 degree from the way they are designed to be pulled. And then once the anchor is pulled out, it would likely not reset. (murphy and all that.)

I believe the directional nature of the anchors is why when using them as a mooring, some people suggest that you deploy 3 such anchors in a circle so that your always pulling from the "correct" direction on the anchor that holds you.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:25   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goincruisin View Post
My you guys are quick on the uptake.

re your Qs: 20' 3/8" chain (from our big boat) plus 60' rope rode. Max Spring High Water (today) depth is 15' - and I do know we are having spring tides now

Yes, Loquat, our big boat is 57', and I honestly did not think our tender could possibly drag an 80# hook, no matter how poorly it was designed. it does not even have a mast.
Well since you have determined that the CQR won't even hold your dinghy I think you should donate it to me for further testing. I'll be happy to report back with the results.

By the way, very nice web site.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

I actually set it by pulling it towards shore with my car - and then checked that it was well buried on a spring low tide.

A running mooring has the boat between the anchor and the fixed point ashore, so the directional pull should be akin to anchoring with 2 anchors. In this case the angle of pull was towards shore - in the direction the anchor was originally set.

For our big boat mooring we do use three giganticised scoop anchors plus a 2 ton concrete block in the middle as a damper (kellet).
Old 12-09-2011, 11:41   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well since you have determined that the CQR won't even hold your dinghy I think you should donate it to me for further testing. I'll be happy to report back with the results.
Indeed a possibility - of course only if we get exclusive use of your results. Would you be taking it as carry on luggage on the plane? Methinks we happen to be on the other side of the pond. And though we will certainly be doing another trans Atlantic, I would rather bunker some extra beer instead of 80# of steel.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:43   #11

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

In that case I'm somewhat surprised the boat dragged as well.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:50   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

have yet to have a problem with my 45 pound one and i use much too much rode.....all chain and in 20 ft i let out 140-150 ft.....no problem . my boat is 28000 pound displacemnt
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:51   #13

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Does this mean there'll be an upcoming addendum to your book?
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
have yet to have a problem with my 45 pound one and i use much too much rode.....all chain and in 20 ft i let out 140-150 ft.....no problem . my boat is 28000 pound displacemnt
i would not think a 7-1 scope is "much too much". I went for 5-1 only because the boat was so small and the anchor sooo big.

7-1 is usually our minimum scope when anchoring overnight, etc. We use a lot more if it is going to blow, or if we are staying longer.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:59   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goincruisin View Post
Indeed a possibility - of course only if we get exclusive use of your results. Would you be taking it as carry on luggage on the plane? Methinks we happen to be on the other side of the pond. And though we will certainly be doing another trans Atlantic, I would rather bunker some extra beer instead of 80# of steel.
No problem with the exclusives. Will even include photos.

Since your web site showed some nice shots of Charles Island I thought you might be on this side of the pond for now. If you are on the east side guess the trade will have to wait. Am planning sail over to the old country but won't be for a couple of years. For some reason the boss wants me to keep working as long as he keeps paying me.

Tags
cqr