Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 14:03   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Chain Jamming in Windlass

Well it turns out that there IS a hole on the deck for running the chain under the chain pipe cover and down the sleeve.

And the chain appears correct as it is a 5/16" G4 matched to gsipy #172

So hopefully now that the control (pressure) arm has been replaced and the chain is run correctly the thing wouldn't jam anymore.
Old 27-08-2011, 14:23   #47

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Don't bet on it. Over time and lots of anchoring such as happens when you are moving from island to island or anchorage to anchorage - the chain develops a twist in it and as it sits down in the chain locker the links double over each other. Kind of like what happens to 3 strand nylon after repeated use such as a wash bucket lead that you use to scoop up sea water to wash down the deck.
- - About every 6 months I have to lay the chain out on deck and "untwist" it to get it to feed cleanly back into and out of the chain locker. It seems to defy logic but like most things nautical, it happens anyway.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:52   #48

My Lewmar windlass was working fine, but now it seems to quit with the slightest bit of load when raising the anchor. After it quits, I can hear a click when I push the button, but no motor whether I push up or down. After several hours, the motor will work again. I think I have 10mm chain and my gypsy is #002. The boat sat for a while and I first noticed the problem after letting out more chain than normal, but now it does it every time. It doesn't seem like it would be the gypsy as it has worked for years. Could it be a bad solenoid or relay? The stripper bar is a gray rubber type and looks good to me?
Mark_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 00:16   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S. View Post
After several hours, the motor will work again. ?

suggests the motor thermal trip is being activated, and resets on cooling down.

most likely the motor was damaged when you did the long wind in.

does it run at its normal speed under light load? If you are very licky it might just be stiff bearings, but I wouldnt hold much hope.
yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 01:36   #50
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
My Lewmar windlass was working fine, but now it seems to quit with the slightest bit of load when raising the anchor.[..] After several hours, the motor will work again.[..] The boat sat for a while [..]Could it be a bad solenoid or relay? [..]
I would look at bushings first, they may be stuck in their guides or worn out.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 04:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtman View Post
suggests the motor thermal trip is being activated, and resets on cooling down.

most likely the motor was damaged when you did the long wind in.

does it run at its normal speed under light load? If you are very licky it might just be stiff bearings, but I wouldnt hold much hope.
Yes, everything runs at normal speed when there is no load. The other day I let out 100' with the motor and no problem, when I brought just a few inches in it quit. I hauled the chain in manually and laid it on deck. The next day I was able to bring it off the deck and into the locker with the windlass.
Mark_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 08:17   #52

Boat: Cobra 850
Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
No but it looks like this, but question really is about the other side

The one I posted prior post #35 shows a metal part instead of the plastic.

Old 29-08-2011, 09:30   #53

Send a message via Yahoo to Capitain Mike Send a message via Skype™ to Capitain Mike

Quote:
Yes, everything runs at normal speed when there is no load. The other day I let out 100' with the motor and no problem, when I brought just a few inches in it quit. I hauled the chain in manually and laid it on deck. The next day I was able to bring it off the deck and into the locker with the windlass.
As well as the up and down switches do you have a manual breaker (reset by operating the switch)?

Did you fit the solenoid or was it already installed on the boat?
If it was already installed check the installation according to the manual. Usually they like to be fitted the right way up and horizontal, though they can work fitted vertically but not usually upside down.

FUSES!!
Somewhere in your windlass system there should be a fuse or fuses. Check the amperage is not to high the previous owner might have installed larger fuses to get over the same problem.

When you raise the anchor using the windlass is your bow roller vertically above the anchor that's where it should be, your supposed to motor to the anchor then raise the anchor, not use the anchor and chain to pull the boat to a position above the anchor.

This puts a lot of strain on the windlass motor and may shut it down 100m is a lot of chain. the weight of the boat being pulled the weight of the chain being pulled and the anchor being dug into the sea bed.

Theoretically if there is to much load the breaker should jump in and switch the power off.

This might help you its a bit basic but you have to start from somewhere

http://www.idealwindlass.com/TROUBLESHOOTING.htm

Also this on anchor and chain weights x4 per Lewmar windlass.

http://store.crowleys.com/Lewmar_How..._Windlass.html
Old 29-08-2011, 10:25   #54

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Don't bet on it. Over time and lots of anchoring such as happens when you are moving from island to island or anchorage to anchorage - the chain develops a twist in it and as it sits down in the chain locker the links double over each other. Kind of like what happens to 3 strand nylon after repeated use such as a wash bucket lead that you use to scoop up sea water to wash down the deck.
- - About every 6 months I have to lay the chain out on deck and "untwist" it to get it to feed cleanly back into and out of the chain locker. It seems to defy logic but like most things nautical, it happens anyway.
Could you go to deep water, run out the anchor rode and let it hang to unwind? I dont know....maybe??
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 14:45   #55
CLOD

Boat: none

Just to slose out the orginal question. here is the way the chain on the windlass on my Hunter 410 is suppose to be run. I have the feeling lots of owners are running it outside as I got some photos from others showing it that way (even from Hunter).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass 1 P8200005.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	30925   Click image for larger version

Name:	windlass 2 P8200007.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	30926  

Old 29-08-2011, 14:57   #56

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Could you go to deep water, run out the anchor rode and let it hang to unwind? I dont know....maybe??
Not with 100 m of 3/8" chain and a 30kg Bruce . . . it is a lot easier to do it on deck.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2011, 17:32   #57

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs

No! You'll never get it back on the boat. Way too heavy for windlass. Remember, you only ever raise a third to a fifth of your rode at the ver worst case scenario. The res is lying on the sea bed.
Old 29-08-2011, 19:02   #58

i wonder if it is the solnoid? can you jump across it to test?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 07:04   #59

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
No! You'll never get it back on the boat. Way too heavy for windlass. Remember, you only ever raise a third to a fifth of your rode at the ver worst case scenario. The res is lying on the sea bed.

Good point. Glad I asked.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 11:03   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
See my links Post #53

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post761984

Tags
windlass