Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2008, 07:32   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Please do not feed the Troll
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 11:29   #47
Marine Service Provider

Please let's not rehash things that have been done to death already. People are well over it.

The subject is -
Can an anchor be "environmentally friendly?"
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 15:44   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Please do not feed the Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Please let's not rehash things that have been done to death already. People are well over it.

The subject is -
Can an anchor be "environmentally friendly?"
Quite agree with both of you but there again anchor trolls cannot be claimed to be environmentally friendly, can they ???
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 20:15   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Quite agree with both of you but there again anchor trolls cannot be claimed to be environmentally friendly, can they ???
The one you're bichin about isn't the one that started the thread or placed the ad.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2008, 21:57   #50
Marine Service Provider

Having a chat with a few people today about this and with a quick but far from scientific poll it appears lead is not a environment problem when talking anchors.

The few people I asked all said grapnels and danforth pattern anchors are by a country mile the ones that get 'lost' mostly. I'd agree with that from what I see at the office. The number of anchors with lead in them that get lost would be a very small %. Even then most is well or like the Spade totally encased and doesn't even come in contact with water. I suppose after a while the 'casing' will rust/corrode out but big lumps of lead are very unlikely to be fish food and it's pretty inert anyway.

The big problem is probably all the aluminium in galvanising, this applies to chain as well in many cases. The US has already and the EU is getting there fast with the removal of aluminium from galvanising. Sadly the NZ and Aus anchor makers are probably a lot less environmentally nice than those from, say, the US or EU due to the fact they have alloy in their galv still. I'd say even china is better for that as they do very low grade and thin galvanising but then the physical number they make kills that line a bit.

So at a quick guess one of the most environmentally not nice anchors is a Alloy Spade when talking materials used but then it is also one of the ones that leaves the least amount of physical bottom damage even if dragged. So assuming you don't lose it you are being nice to the world but if you do.... naughty you.

On a day to day basis, assuming you don't lose the anchor, many from the Sth Pacific who use anchors galvanised in NZ or AUS in the coral sand zones are probably one of the worst. Coral sand rips galvanising off real fast often, and skin off legs but that's another, quite painful, story.

Lose a lead filled anchor that has been galvanised in NZ or AUS on a coral reel and you are one very environmental nasty. But in the big scheme of things lost anchors would be one of those 'too small to register' sort of things.

As for the environmental cost of production, which is a lot larger problem, I think china loses that one hands down.
Old 19-03-2008, 23:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The one you're bichin about isn't the one that started the thread or placed the ad.
Hey, you who is bitchin at me I ain't bitchin at anyone. I am an easy going fellow, I just say my mind and move on, if others don't like honest expressions then tough for them.

GMac - I don't think aluminium or zinc are issues.

Zinc is one of the commonest elements in the earth's make up and what is more it is essential to life, both for us and for the animules. Might be some questions about the waste products from the galvanising process though if not properly managed.

Aluminium, without double checking, is the commonest element on earth (if I have that wrong it is at least the commonest non fluid element) so I suspect having a lump of it fall off ones anchor cable is no real problem at all (except for the boat, I suppose).

But I am no biochemist.
Old 20-03-2008, 00:06   #52
Marine Service Provider

Apparently some US 'study' fish were getting Alzheimer's or something from the aluminium, I kid you not. Then they found out too much is not good for people either so out it goes. A pure zinc coating is better at self-healing anyway so that's not a bad thing.

Zinc we all need more of. Don't think sucking on your anchor would be wise though

But I am no biochemist, either
Old 21-03-2008, 01:56   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Apparently some US 'study' fish were getting Alzheimer's
How the heck did anyone test that theory? I somehow don't think I would want to be stranded on a desert Isl with that guy.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 02:57   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Fish catch Alzheimer's from aluminum?

The roof of my house is Galvalume (R). It's an alloy of zinc and aluminum. We catch rainwater on the roof for our cistern, then we drink it.

The volcano on Montserrat sends ash our way on a regular basis. The ash contains a fair amount of aluminum. It lands on our roof, and ends up in the cistern. It also contains some zinc and lead.

Maybe that explains why I forget where I left the car keys.

p.s. it's silly to worry about anchors polluting the marine environment!
Old 21-03-2008, 03:50   #55

I have been exercising my mind trying to work out what it is that a fish might know in order to be able to then forget it. So far no luck .
Old 21-03-2008, 03:59   #56
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
I have been exercising my mind trying to work out what it is that a fish might know in order to be able to then forget it. So far no luck .
Bite the worm, not the hook.

Bite the hook, not the worm.
No, no, bite the...
Bite...
Er...
What's a worm?
Old 21-03-2008, 08:01   #57

Boat: Westsail 32
If its made out of Tofu!
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 08:48   #58

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

p.s. it's silly to worry about anchors polluting the marine environment!
Amen!

But about the aluminum ingestion - there is some pretty convincing stuff out there. Or maybe it is just the diet soda............can't remember.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 21:06   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Nah some science dude has now stated that Aluminium is not a cause to Alz....how do you spell Al......what was the question?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:05   #60
Marine Service Provider

Clever posts lads, nice work.

Diving with D2 (daughter no. 2) today and went anchor watching. Anchors do bugger all. The chain seems to do much more but you'll be pleased to know Starfish and designed to with stand anchor chains. They just tuck their sides down and the chain slides right over their head....arms... body.....whatever it is. Clever little fish....animal....whatever it is.

Tags
anchor