Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2005, 15:59   #1

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Enviro friendly bottom paint???

We will be painting our bottom in the next few months and I'm wondering if there are any enviromentally friendly bottom paint on the market that a) do a good job b) allow you to haul-out for4 months annually c) are not cost prohibitive.

Thanks
Roger
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 18:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Not (yet) to my knowledge..
Antifouling coatings are designed specifically to control marine growth and maintain ship hulls in a smooth and hydro-dynamically efficient condition. Recent international regulations have removed the most effective antifouling coating (Tributyl-Tin compounds - TBT) from the market . At present, there are no clear alternatives (to these Organotin-based compounds) that provide similar performance.

Currently Registered Antifouling Products:
http://www.pmra-arla.gc.ca/english/p...ntifouling.pdf

International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships
http://www.imo.org/Environment/mainf...p?topic_id=223

Now, let's hear from everyone who has discovered exactlly this safe-effective alternative.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 19:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I too would love to hear from those that have tried new "safe" methods of protection. I have heard so many "old wives tales" of home brew's etc, but have never seen a follow up yet of whether the brew worked or not.
However, one positive, NZ outlawed tin TBT antifoulings about ruffly 15years(Give or take a few years) ago now. When TBT was in use, our loacl Marina's were baron of sea life and the water had a strange hazy dead look to it. Today, the Marina's are now teaming with life. Small fish, Ray's and Shellfish and interestingly, the waters tend to be clear and healthy looking. I put that last part down to the filtration that Shellfish carry out on the water.
The copper systems don't seem to have the same visual impact on the marine life, but I don't Know about what long term effects it may still have on the marine life. At the end of the day, copper is still a metal and it is it's consontration that causes it to work.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 03:18   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
In the ole' days I've seen people (while in the slip) pull tarps under the boat and fill it with fresh water for long storage.

It seemed to work, just a little alge built up which came right off when they got underway..................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 03:45   #5
Kai Nui

Ahh the age old question.. Which do you want? Cheap? Fast? Or good?Good and cheap will not be fast. Cheap and fast will not be good. Good and Fast, well.... That ain't gonna be cheap!
I have heard that some of the new teflon based bottom coats designed for racing boats leach a bit less than traditional copper, but I do not know how well they work at preventing growth.
Old 19-08-2005, 12:03   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
I assisted a trial on a large mobo , where we cleaned the bottom of all paint and attached self adhesive copper strips. This replicated the old fashioned copper plates used on wooden warships. Unfortunately the company making these had not done their homework, and the copper was too thin, and the adhesive insufficiently strong so that after a couple of thousand miles quite a lot of the copper sheets had dis-appeared. We suspect that contact with debris in the water penetrated the copper, and then water pressure lifted the tile off. So we had to lift the boat again and remove the tiles and put conventional A/F back on. We salted some of this with additional pure copper powder in order to investigate whether this would help.

I have also read good reports on the addition of chile powder to the a/f.

Really depends how much fouling you get. My boat iis in an area of reknown very high fouling so I have to use the best I can get hold off and still expect fouling to have started after 3-4 months!
Old 19-08-2005, 20:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It's those stories of additions of things like copper powders and chilly powders and pepper and whatever that I have heard much about, but have still yet to hear a report of the other end of the story, as in, Did the stuff really work and did it last and for how long and yadda yadda.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 03:49   #8
Kai Nui

I have heard the chili powder thing too. I have considered the copper cladding, but sometimes the benefits just don't justify the effort. I try to be as environmentaly sound as possible, but as for bottom paint, I get the nastiest, highest copper content stuff I can find.

Tags
bottom paint