Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2022, 08:22   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Other dinghy brands

Is it this one?

https://www.brisinflatable.com/produ...ats/1286652783

Slightly larger tubes compared to some other cheap brands and looks like the Suzmar type with the squared off bows. Nice to see a 3/4 aluminium floor.

Looks like there is also a grey / white version for another couple of dollars which I would choose given you location. Dark coloured even red tubes get hot in the sunshine. Keep it covered up when not in use or the sun will turn the material sticky in a few years and then there is nothing you can do about it, been there.

I would buy it assuming the budget is tight.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 22:25   #17

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmm32005 View Post
Just bought a Highfield Hypalaon UL290 It weighs 86 pounds and looks like its quality built.
My 9ft AB RIB (hypalon) is 8 years old and failing fast. In the Philippines there is a good Highfield agency. They have quoted me in USD for a UL290 - $2,250 for PVC and $3750 for hypalon. I knew hypalon would be significantly costlier but that's a massive difference.

I've had several inflatables before, and always hypalon, but now I'm hesitating. For the $1,500 difference, I could have 1st class sunbrella chaps made here (well actually for $1,500 I could several sets of chaps and work my way through them).

QUESTION - Does anyone know how long well-protected PVC lasts when compared with unprotected hypalon? Conditions are tough - cruising in the tropics with mostly daily dinghy use. First sign of failure of the AB was the bond between hypalon and aluminium. Now the hypalon fabric is beginning to break down.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 23:56   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Protecting PVC is not always the best solution. Choosing one with welded seems and a light colour, white or yellow, is essential. IMO chaps make things worse as they trap heat and any glued areas fittings are affected and the material itself will go sticky. I personally have a cover that is attached to the davits which are covered by solar panels so mostly in the shade. When the dinghy is stowed it is covered when being used it is not. NZ PVC dinghy 2005 vintage is still being used, it was retubed, loose collar in 2016 because I could the old collar was still servicable and would have be good for another year or two. PVC is lighter and cheaper but my advice is skip the chaps and have a cover for when stowed.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 00:33   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Other dinghy brands

I have a 20 year old hypalon rib ( Selva) that’s been constantly out in the weather unprotected , it’s never covered. The main issue is mold growth it I find cleaning with acetone and CilaBang to be good. I sold the rib this year

My pvc rib in geeece is 16 years old its protected as much as possible by a sun reflector but the pvc itself is fine but the plastic bits are degrading ( rowlock supports etc ) it’s for the trash heap in the spring
Old 24-11-2022, 01:52   #20

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Protecting PVC is not always the best solution. Choosing one with welded seems and a light colour, white or yellow, is essential. IMO chaps make things worse as they trap heat and any glued areas fittings are affected and the material itself will go sticky. I personally have a cover that is attached to the davits which are covered by solar panels so mostly in the shade. When the dinghy is stowed it is covered when being used it is not. NZ PVC dinghy 2005 vintage is still being used, it was retubed, loose collar in 2016 because I could the old collar was still servicable and would have be good for another year or two. PVC is lighter and cheaper but my advice is skip the chaps and have a cover for when stowed.
Thanks for the advice. I found another thread "PVC vs Hypalon in the Tropics?" which has more views and no clear winner (unless you ignore price totally)..
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 10:58   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
My 9ft AB RIB (hypalon) is 8 years old and failing fast. In the Philippines there is a good Highfield agency. They have quoted me in USD for a UL290 - $2,250 for PVC and $3750 for hypalon. I knew hypalon would be significantly costlier but that's a massive difference.

I've had several inflatables before, and always hypalon, but now I'm hesitating. For the $1,500 difference, I could have 1st class sunbrella chaps made here (well actually for $1,500 I could several sets of chaps and work my way through them).

QUESTION - Does anyone know how long well-protected PVC lasts when compared with unprotected hypalon? Conditions are tough - cruising in the tropics with mostly daily dinghy use. First sign of failure of the AB was the bond between hypalon and aluminium. Now the hypalon fabric is beginning to break down.
It is really not possible to generalize an answer to your question. How long a PVC dingy will last in the tropics is determined by the construction and the material.

My Zodiac PVC Fastroller FR360 is 14 years old and still serviceable although I have had to repair several seams and re attach most of the glued on parts, plus repair the transom which rotted. But the fabric, except where worn, is in good shape. The bottom is excellent. Previously I had a AVON Hypalon which has similar problems at a similar age. My Zodiac cost $2300 new in 2009. People nowadays are spending $5000 for a dingy. Crazy.

Tags
dinghy