Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2023, 06:07   #1

Question I, along with my family, could sure use some dinghy help &/or thoughts & suggestions.

Currently using a West Tender (plastic tub) (100lbs empty!) with a Suzuki 2.5 (30lbs). Worked GREAT when me, wife, and two kids when they were younger (and smaller/lighter).

This is used as a tender when on the hook. Can store on hardtop inflated or, if rollup, on deck tied down.

Now... the kids are bigger (who'd have thought LOL). The dink, I feel, is the problem. If the water gets sloppy, with the weight of us (and we're not big people 150,140 (adults). Kids currently and increasing. LOL (100,70).

Let me preface by saying I do NOT need to get ANYWHERE quickly. I just need to get there.

I'd LOVE to keep the Suzuki 2.5 and just upgrade the dink. But I do have a lead on a 6hp 2-stroke that I'd prefer since we keep the 2.5 on it's side and that's a pain to drain oil from cyl.

Anyway. Don't want to break the bank, and don't want to buy a used inflatable. Prefer hypalon... but...

Talk to me. I'm looking at the Achillest LT-4 8-6...

But... Let's hear your thoughts, please.

Thanks!
Old 23-05-2023, 06:11   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: I, along with my family, could sure use some dinghy help &/or thoughts & suggesti

The biggest deciding factor will be size, I think. What size (and weight) tender can you reasonably carry? Knowing that will narrow down the options a lot.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 06:17   #3

Re: I, along with my family, could sure use some dinghy help &/or thoughts & suggesti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The biggest deciding factor will be size, I think. What size (and weight) tender can you reasonably carry? Knowing that will narrow down the options a lot.
Ultimately, I'd like the smallest one I can get, hypalon, that will work reasonably well (doesn't need to be fast) with my current Suzuki 2.5.
Old 23-05-2023, 06:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The Walker Bay non-planning dinghy with inflatable collar would be worthy of consideration, if flipped upside down it would clear your jib. It's one step up from what you have now.
Old 23-05-2023, 06:25   #5

FYI: This is where the current WestTender tub sits. I can store a rollup deflated or... optimally, inflated where you see that dink.
Old 23-05-2023, 06:25   #6

https://pasteboard.co/Ox8vkfPi1nld.jpg
Old 23-05-2023, 06:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The Walker Bay non-planning dinghy with inflatable collar would be worthy of consideration, if flipped upside down it would clear your jib. It's one step up from what you have now.
Interesting. Can you tell me more about the weight limit and using it with 4 people, etc.?
Old 23-05-2023, 06:33   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Even with the collar, the Walker Bays will likely be pretty limited in weight capacity I think. It looks like you've got a reasonable space in there, provided the dinghy is light enough to get it up there.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 06:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Even with the collar, the Walker Bays will likely be pretty limited in weight capacity I think. It looks like you've got a reasonable space in there, provided the dinghy is light enough to get it up there.
The question is: Which dinghy (and can it be used with the 2.5, in a perfect world).
Old 23-05-2023, 16:41   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If your boat has a swim platform, a dinghy can be placed there, lying on its side. It would considerably reduce the windage to carry it there, or rolled up and secured in the cockpit.

What you're up against, is that hypalon (if of good quality) is both heavy AND expensive, and that it is difficult to find out what pvc (which also varies in quality, considerably) was used to make the dinghy you consider. Had you considered a Portabote? It is one option, and some people here like them. We didn't, because we liked to snorkel and tank dive from the dinghy, and for us that meant a bigger dinghy, and an inflatable, much more pleasant to enter and exit.

We have also had friends who used kayaks for dinghies, and two 2 person kayaks could fit where the dinghy is in your picture. Means wet bottoms always when going ashore.

Yet another option would be a nesting dinghy, where the two dinghies can be also used separately. It will be fast (because long and narrow) with the small engine, and tippy like any hard dinghy, and rowable, good for kids spending energy and adults staying fit. There are places that sell plans for them, and one can have a neat DIY project with the kids.

So many options, so little time....

Ann
Old 23-05-2023, 23:04   #11

Takacat is a nice dinghy, you will make decent speed with a 6hp. My 4hp with 3 adults goes plenty fast enough where it doesn't bother me.

Downside is, it's wet. If you have a following sea or get hit with a wake from the stern it can scoop water. No danger, but passengers will be woken up for sure.

But, self-bailing, light, all inflatable (well, few steel support pieces) and can be outfit with wheels.

They can be custom ordered in Hypalon, I didn't do that, but I wish I did! It's held up fine so far but it'll eventually bite it.

But, they will sell you just the tubes or whatever you need.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 03:47   #12

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

No personal experience with these-but saw a video somewhere.
Catamaran-rows straight,great cargo capacity/length,goes fast with small 5 or less HP,easier to haul up/down beach.
Old 24-05-2023, 06:28   #13

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I have a Walker Bay 8. Great light weight/durable dingy for what it is. But a little tippy and definitely not suited for 4 people. Also not a planing hull so will never be fast, but rows well.

I have heard the inflatable tube kit works great and adds A LOT of stability. Unfortunately the only way I have found to get one is ordering through Europe (I am in the US). And it is kind of expensive. I was last quoted a little over $800 shipped for the tube kit.

Good luck finding the compromises that works best for you.
Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 11:46   #14

I would seriously consider a used hypalon before new hypalon or new PVC. Well kept hypalon dinghies are just fine and will last many more years, can still outlast a new PVC. I see them come up for sale locally for $300-700 from time to time, which is a good deal in many cases (depending on condition, accessories, size, brand, etc). If it is not beat up and left to cook in a direct sun all its life, they will last 30+ years. Hypalon is just a really well engineered and tough material.

I have an old Avon made in UK, which is still in great condition. Had a West Marine (made by Zodiac i think) hypalon before that. It was larger with thicker hypalon and it would last several decades with some basic care.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 07:17   #15

I ended up with the RU-3 from West Marine. I am weary of buying another person's inflatable only because I feel that most people don't take care of things. I know that's a "me" thing. LOL.

The next thing will be to see how it pushes 4 of us with the 2.5HP Suzuki.

Tags
dinghy, family