Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 10:00   #1

Could use some help.

I've narrowed my search down to five boats. And my problem is finding one of each to sail.

Is it ever smart to buy a boat without having sailed it first? Some of these are on the hard and the owners live around the world...

In no particular order..

1985 Tayana 55

1996 Kirie Feeling 546 Prestige

1985 Amel Mango Special or Super Maramu

1986 Beneteau Idylle 15.5

1981-85 Irwin 52

Looking for something safe and roomy that can sail blue waters. Needs to sleep 8. Thanks so much for any and all input.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 10:19   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Could use some help.

"Is it ever smart to buy a boat without having sailed it first?" If you're buying the boat for racing, "No." But, if you're buying the boat for cruising, I would give a qualified, "Maybe." With a little research, you should be able to learn a lot how she will sail (seaworthiness, speed, pointing ability, etc). What is more difficult to glean from reports is how she will point as the wind increases. For example, some shallow draft, full keel boats may not point at all in a gale or higher winds. This is a major detriment in a boat in blue water since it will require use of a sea anchor to go hove to.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 13:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Could use some help.

An Irwin or a Super Maramu?
Pretty wide gap there

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 14:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I'm not too familiar with the Kirie but from my limited knowledge and research I would order the boats according to quality, construction and seaworthiness:

Tied for 1 & 2, Tayana and Amel

Beneteau - depends a lot on the model. Again I'm not familiar enough with the entire model range to sort the good from the not as good so Beneteau could be in the top tier or the middle, depending. By the way, similar comments about the Irwins although the gap from good to not as good is not as wide as the Beneteau and overall a notch below.

Kirie, somewhere in the middle I think.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 16:19   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Irwins have a reputation for being lightly built.

The Tayana 55 has a large double aft, a pullman berth and a V-berth. I don't think two adults could reasonably be expected to share the pullman, because the chainplate box intrudes so far into the berth. So, not for sleeping 8 at the same time.

Of the boats listed, probably the Amel would be best, but still not meet the sleeps 8 requirement.
Old 19-07-2016, 17:04   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Re the actual question about buying without sailing:

IMO, this is not a good idea at all. While it is true that one can get a pretty good idea about build quality and seaworthyness from others knowledge and experience, I reckon that only by sailing and spending a bit of time on board AT SEA can one determine how YOU like the boat.

You are talking about a major investment, one which will dominate your life if you actually go cruising. The subtle differences between boats are not easily evaluated by other's experiences. I would never consider such a purchase without a serious sea trial as well as a detailed survey... especially if you are not an experienced sailor and cruiser. Never!

Jim
Old 19-07-2016, 18:45   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi Deep Blue

Considering buying without having sailed all the ones on your shortlist? I think I would, but only if it was a recognised design and well known designer and builder.

I don't know the Feeling or the Beneteau.
The Tayana 55 is a very nice boat and and there a few for sale in Australasia.
Tayana 55 for sale - YachtWorld UK
and this one on the East Coast USA
1984 Tayana 55' Tayana Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
As you can see a complete different rig, and likely will sail differently as well. BTW, I have been on the smaller sister of such boat Tayana 45 Surprise, similar kind of rig, same designer (NA Pieter Beeldsnijder) and of course same manufacturer. I was very impressed with all things on that boat, except state of teak deck.

The Amels are a different kettle of fish, although similar sized, do not sail as nicely as the Tayanas, and "nicely", meaning not as fast, do not point as well, and interior is not as lavish. However you gain some other treats: larger cockpit, extremely good engine access, easy (and little) maintenance, easily sailed ketch rig if you don't mind.
There is a difference in Mango and Super Marumu, and not only price (on average Mangos are $100k cheaper than Super Marumu). I must say I have been on a the latter, but not sailed one.
There are over 50 of such boats for sale world wide. Or you can find one in a marina and ask for an owner to show you around and maybe even for a sail. Most boat owners are proud of their 'ship' and happy to share their knowledge, brag or show off.

And Irwin 52? I looked at one, maybe very suitable to you depending on your requirements. This one is very nice one, and possibly one of the best:
Used Irwin 52 Cutter Ketch Mark 2 for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
I am sure if you are interested the owner will take you out.
Old 19-07-2016, 20:33   #8

Man thank you guys. Experienced opinions are always appreciated.

I was iffy in the build of the Irwin's and the performance of the Feeling 546. I just knew they had excellent layouts. And I'd read the 81-85's irwins are well built. The feelings have nice reviews but no clue on build or performance. Didn't know anything about how they sail. I also can't find one to charter or test. Least trusted.

The idylle has a four inch hull below the waterline. It's very well built. And it's got a great floor plan. But again, no news on seaworthyness or ease of sailing. They don't stay on the market long.

My top three are the Amels and the Tayana. I know they are worthy. The Super maramu would take another year of work but it might be worth it.

Just wish I could sail one. I think if I find a good deal on a mango or tayana I'm just going to inspect and buy regardless of sailing one.

Waiting can wait till I'm dead.
Old 19-07-2016, 20:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Pretty wide gap there

So true. A recent post had pretty much this same question, and one of the respondents said: "Gee, sir, you're comparing Yugos and Mercedes."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 20:59   #10

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Greetings,

I am not prejudiced ... looked at Tayana 55 like you.

Sleep 8? Depends a lot on your crowd. For me, everybody gets a by on the first day. On day 2, I commence the selection towards the first human sacrifice. On day 3, the first victim is chosen... and on day 4, they are left ashore at the nearest port. ( I am not a real murderer)

Sleep 8? Not for me; I rather have the huge lazarettes to store the cruising gear we enjoy!

Up to you! :-)

BTW, a well kept Amel SM is the better selection over a Mango.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 21:05   #11

I'll admit the Irwin's affordability had me blinded. But I have to say they must have some quality because they're sold all over the world meaning they can travel.

My dream boat is a maramu but I'll have to get in line. I think the tayana or a mango will be adequate.
Old 19-07-2016, 21:06   #12

Have any other suggestions about boats sold in the southern hemisphere? Can't find many where I'm searching.
Old 19-07-2016, 21:19   #13

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Deep Blue,
in my previous post I only referred to 'sailing' not the 'must sleep 8' requirement. It can be done (or not) on Tayana 55 as Ann described, and on an Amel: it has only 2 cabins for sleeping, sleeps only 4 and maybe another child in the aft cabin, one in the sea-berth, but 2 or 3 must sleep in the saloon.......
Maybe a boat with 3 or 4 cabins, and no one sleeping in the saloon might be a happier ship.
Some layouts will work better with 8 persons than others. Therefore, could you take 8 people put on such test sail? .... Most people don't.
Is this requirement (to sleep 8) only for a few occasions? Or do you plan to cross oceans with 8? That certainly would make a difference.

Back to 'sailing' qualities. There are two issues here I think:
Prior to buying, I think it is prudent to test the boat as much as possible, including survey and sea trials, and I think Jim referred tot that. The difficulty to "test" sail such boat is that on most occasions you have to offer money and pay deposit prior to such sea trial.

The second issue is, and I read your first post this way, is that it is hard to make a shortlist of 5 boats, without trying/sailing them, and you are looking for opportunities to do that. And after that shortlist and trying them you would be more qualified in pursuing a few of these boats (or not).

However, as Ded Reckener said, even a single afternoon sailing trip will give only limited information, likely to be fair winds, calm seas.
One need to spend a lot of time on a boat to find how suitable a boat really is and how it is meeting all your requirements: sailing in adverse weather, sleeping space vs living space, boat motion in various seas, ability to prepare meals, handholds in the right place, strong tethering points in the right place, amount of storage space is also important having 8 persons on board, the size of battery bank, fuel and water tanks, (hmmm, 8 persons will go through a lot of water!).

I have sent you also a PM.
Old 20-07-2016, 08:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
I've narrowed my search down to five boats. And my problem is finding one of each to sail.

Is it ever smart to buy a boat without having sailed it first? Some of these are on the hard and the owners live around the world...

In no particular order..

1985 Tayana 55

1996 Kirie Feeling 546 Prestige

1985 Amel Mango Special or Super Maramu

1986 Beneteau Idylle 15.5

1981-85 Irwin 52

Looking for something safe and roomy that can sail blue waters. Needs to sleep 8. Thanks so much for any and all input.
Any one of those would make a great cruiser. The Irwin and Tayana are real comfy sailors underway. Beneteau a bit light and bouncy at sea. The others i have no personal knowledge of. Am biased towards a sailboat that has an easy motion, especially when the seas pick up.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:18   #15

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Pretty wide gap there

I thought the same thing.

Irwin's don't seem to make good offshore Water boats">blue water boats, but opinions would vary. They fall into the Morgan, Endeavor category of building thin water condos for the charter fleets in the caribbean until the French boats showed them the door.

Super Maramu is a true offshore boat. Not as fun in the caribbean with the draft and not as comfortable down below with a boat setup for distance short-handed cruising instead of ballroom dancing in the saloon. Easy to shorthand sail and I loved all of the engineering. Helm position is hit and miss. Some days you love it, others you question the logic.

The rest of the list falls between those two and opinions will vary widely.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote