Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 19:27   #1

What's the Verdict on Titanium Shackles and Swivels ?

I've been trying to find a suitable shackle/swivel combo for our ground tackle setup. I'd like to fit hardware that has a working load of at least equal to our chain. The chain is 5/16" G4 HT (3900lbs WLL), with a 25KG Rocna. There's no over-sized end links on the chain.

I've only found one brand of shackle that would be correctly rated, but they're not in stock. Here: Alloy SPA Shackles

The alternative seems to be Titanium. Does anyone on the forum have experience with Titanium shackles and swivels?
I would go for the 13/32" Ti bow shackle, which would join chain to the anchor. I would then use one of the Ti swivels after a couple of feet of chain.

Thanks for any input!

TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 20:13   #2

Boat: Prout 46
I just bought a couple of galvanized alloy shackles. One was 3/8" and one was 7/16". Both fit in a 5/16" HT chain link and both have a safe working load exceeding that of the chain. You can find them at Westech Rigging Supply for around $10-13 plus shipping. Winchard makes a stainless swivel that exceeds the working load of the 5/16" HT chain and fits in the links although it is quite spendy. I bought one from Ebay for about $35 but I think they retail for well over $100.00 I bought it for my rope rode. I don't have a swivel on my all chain anchor rode. I had one on my other boat, but chose not to put one on my new boat. So far I can't see any advantage to a swivel on the anchor chain unless it is an anchor/rope rode. Erik
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 20:51   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Sorry don't have an answer about the titanium. You may already know about these swivels but just in case - Kong Very pricey but also very strong.
Erika
Old 12-04-2010, 20:52   #4

Thanks for the info, although I couldn't seem to locate any shackles at Westech that were rated more than 1.5 ton. Which brand did you go with?

I'd like to use a swivel to help the Rocna feed on to the bow rollers the right way up. It seems to always want to come in upside down when there's no swivel.
Old 12-04-2010, 21:07   #5

Hey Erika,

We're trying to stay away from stainless gear on a galv chain and anchor. Plus, the Kong (and other stainless swivels) don't have the best reputation either.

The local Aussie shops are trying to push their chinese no-name galvanised shackles. "These are fine, you wouldn't need anything better... I use one on my boat!. Nobody needs rated shackles!". I think they're full of it.
Old 12-04-2010, 22:01   #6

Boat: Prout 46
If you pull up the Westech website, just put "alloy shackle" into the search box. You will come up with all sizes of Crosby 209A shackles, the smallest being the 3/8" which has a safe working load of 4400#.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 22:42   #7

All I know is titanium is very notch sensitive. It is also $. You need a good reason to use it.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 23:10   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Have you tried Nobles, their products should be readily available in Qld. although I haven't checked their catalogue to see if they have want you want

see Nobles.com.au - Homepage
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 00:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
I've been trying to find a suitable shackle/swivel combo for our ground tackle setup. I'd like to fit hardware that has a working load of at least equal to our chain. The chain is 5/16" G4 HT (3900lbs WLL), with a 25KG Rocna. There's no over-sized end links on the chain.

I've only found one brand of shackle that would be correctly rated, but they're not in stock. Here: Alloy SPA Shackles

The alternative seems to be Titanium. Does anyone on the forum have experience with Titanium shackles and swivels?
I would go for the 13/32" Ti bow shackle, which would join chain to the anchor. I would then use one of the Ti swivels after a couple of feet of chain.

Thanks for any input!

Keep in mind that Ti is x% stronger than steel only BY WEIGHT, not by volume. To make a Ti shackle which is equal in strength to a given steel shackle, it will need to be rather larger than the steel one. For it to be stronger, it will need to be a lot larger. Since size is what usually constrains us (getting the pin through the chain end link) Ti seems unsuitable for this purpose. We want as much strength packed into as little volume as possible. And the weight -- and weight is the one really great advantage of Ti -- of the shackle is irrelevant, connected to a quarter ton or half ton of anchor chain.

As to that swivel -- that's the type that can't handle lateral loads.

And would kind of galvanic corrosion issues would you have, with such an unlike metal immersed in sea water between two steel parts?

Personally, I don't like any of that stuff. Stick to tested "colored-pin" galvanized shackles, as far as I'm concerned.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 20:38   #10

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
As mentioned previously, Crosby 209A is a good choice. I keep ss away from galvanised components.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 20:43   #11

Umm. Isn't it exactly the swivel that causes the anchor to come up in random orientations? I don't use a swivel. The anchor chain almost never twists between the windlass and the roller. So the anchor is almost always in the proper orientation. Swivels are for, what, exactly?

If you anchor for weeks at a time? What?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 19:55   #12

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Re: What's the Verdict on Titanium Shackles and Swivels ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Personally, I don't like any of that stuff. Stick to tested "colored-pin" galvanized shackles, as far as I'm concerned.

Dockhead, why "colored-pin"?
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 20:02   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Dockhead, why "colored-pin"?
Good quality industrial shackles come with painted-pins I think to indicate load capability and also to make them look like better kit. I have seen a few Chinese ones with painted pins but you want the US or possibly European or Japanese or Korean ones that have certified loads. Nice thing is you don't have to buy from marine stores.
Old 30-04-2019, 20:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Good quality industrial shackles come with painted-pins I think to indicate load capability and also to make them look like better kit. I have seen a few Chinese ones with painted pins but you want the US or possibly European or Japanese or Korean ones that have certified loads. Nice thing is you don't have to buy from marine stores.

Thanks. I will head down to the local rigging shop this week and see what they have. Most of the marine stores here have Chinese stuff and I am not really interested in that if I can help it. I will have a 100 lb Spade on the end of the chain. Not much sense saving $5.00 on the shackle.
Old 30-04-2019, 20:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Umm. Isn't it exactly the swivel that causes the anchor to come up in random orientations? I don't use a swivel. The anchor chain almost never twists between the windlass and the roller. So the anchor is almost always in the proper orientation. Swivels are for, what, exactly?

If you anchor for weeks at a time? What?

Agreed. A swivel is another failure point. Not needed. If the anchor comes up backward I will deal with it. Much better than dealing with a swivel that let go in the dark, in 45 knots of wind with the rain in your face.