Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 10:04   #1

Solent stay

Hi I’m working on a solent stay, but I do not know how much tension it need.. it’s a removable fiber stay and will ad a block I both ends!

I did read it need the same tension as the head stay but have no idea how to get it right?
Jesperbrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:21   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Solent stay

Add a block of pulleys in the bottom edge so you will be able to tension it , mark the point that you have almost the same tension as the forestay, lead the line back and you are set to go , you don't even have to attach and detach every time just slack the line and lead it back to the mast .
If you have a roller reef , make sure the forestay doesn't become to slack , and that the point you attach the silent stay has the same strength.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 11:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Add a block of pulleys in the bottom edge so you will be able to tension it , mark the point that you have almost the same tension as the forestay, lead the line back and you are set to go , you don't even have to attach and detach every time just slack the line and lead it back to the mast .
If you have a roller reef , make sure the forestay doesn't become to slack , and that the point you attach the silent stay has the same strength.
Thank You.. Its exactly my plan.. I’ll pull it to the baby stay�� Okay i just tension until the Forestay is getting some slag and mark the line?
Yes it’s a roiling Forestay
Old 28-09-2018, 13:50   #4

The baby stay chain plate is not supported well enough , and it's far to astern to serve as a silent stay , the right distance is 10 to 15 cm from the forestay , at least rhats what I figure in my boat .
Old 28-09-2018, 13:57   #5

Did mean I use the baby stay when I’ll pull it back towards the mast..
have made a chain plate as close a possible to the Forestay drum, and turnbuckle underneath directly to the hull.
Old 28-09-2018, 14:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesperbrum View Post
Did mean I use the baby stay when I’ll pull it back towards the mast..
have made a chain plate as close a possible to the Forestay drum, and turnbuckle underneath directly to the hull.
Oh i,I see
That's sounds great idea and once you used it with a working jib or a storm sail you will be really glad you did all the job