Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2018, 10:52   #46

Boat: Moana 33
Re: Rain down the mast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I've seen people simply shove wood wedges between the mast and cabin top. ...
I'd reword that to something like "people carefully tap and secure finely tapered wood wedges evenly around the entire mast, to support it uniformly and without damage." Or some sort of rubbery goo may be preferable, provided it spreads the load vertically over a decent area?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 11:21   #47

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I removed the boot and just discovered I have another issue besides water getting down into the bilge. My mast passes through the cabin top and there is a gap of about 2 inches all the way around with no wedges or other supports.

So, besides replacing the boot, what other types of supports should I consider for that transition?

Perfect scenario for Spartite! Just sayin...
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 17:52   #48

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

If your mast is unsupported where it passes through the cabin top there is a real problem with lateral support of the mast. Maybe this is the boat design but I don't like it. Even if the mast is a "tree trunk" this does not seem sound or safe. The mast should bow badly and heavily load the windward shrouds when loaded by the main and jib while going upwind.
I suggest you get some strong wood, such as oak, and form 2 pieces to hold the mast in place. I would approach this by making a paper pattern of the gap, all around the mast. Transfer the pattern to a thick piece of wood and cut to shape with a jigsaw. I think there should be a little play fore and aft, maybe a half inch. I am not sure of the best way to hold the "shim" in place, that would depend on your cabintop construction. There should be a closeout around the mast that could support the shim.
Then consider sealing the mast / hull joint.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 19:07   #49

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

A very simple solution and also the cheapest. Lift the boot up the mast and make sure you have the mast shimmed the way you want it.

Purchase a 2$ wax toilet seal from the local hardware store. Press the wax seal into place working it between the mast and the deck partners ensuring that the wax stands slightly proud above the lip on the deck and the shims. Re-seat mast boot over the wax seal.

Dry as a bone.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast