Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2007, 18:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Washing Rain Gear

The Admiral thinks it is time to wash the weather gear">foul weather gear. I think it will effect the character, but if I give in what can I treat it with for water repellency
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 01:26   #2

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I thought you just rinsed them in fresh water to wash the salt out of the breathable fabric.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 02:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What type of fabric are your “foulies”?
- Polyurethane
- PVC
- Neoprene
- Breathable (Gore-Tex&#174
- other ...

GORE-TEX® products are not only built to last, they're easy to take care of, too. Routine care and maintenance on your part will ensure the highest performance from them and extend their useful lifespan.
Follow the manufacturer’s recommended care instructions - typically found on an inside tag - and your GORE-TEX® products will be ready to go when you are.
Click below for specific care and washing instructions:
ttp://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instructions

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 05:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I've used Gore-Tex products for about 28 years. The real difference is in how the Gore-Tex material is applied to the backing and wearing fabric layers. Gore-Tex is always a laminated material and that is what determines the price you'll pay. Most of the land based products are not up to the punishment of salt water but the better salt water products really are great and keep you dry and they last a long time.

Mostly the care of Gore-Tex is uses mild powdered detergent in a gentle wash cycle. The clothes dryer for some fabrics will actually enhance the water proofness but some other other fabrics it would be bad. Reading the label always is a good idea.

Coated fabrics are best to not wash in the machine but rinse well in fresh water and spot clean. Storage of all materials that are wet is very bad. You want to keep all foulie gear dry when not in use. They all grow mildew if allowed.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 15:10   #5

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Take them home from the boat and were them when it is raining when you walk the dog. The fresh water will do them good.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 20:38   #6
GreatKetch

And if you really want some strange looks let people watch you while you follow the directions that came with my Gore-Tex Foulies....

As suggested abouve a gentle wash cycle with mild detergent is recommended. After that they are waterproof, but the surface material is no longer water-repellent, in other words the surface layer of fabric soaks up water. To restore the water repellancy of this material you IRON IT.

I am sure there is a great cartoon in the image of a scruffy old salt pressing his old foulies....
Old 22-06-2007, 03:29   #7

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Denny, we have Gill foul weather pants and jackets, which I thought were Gore-Tex. The jackets have white sleeves. When they stopped responding to wipe down cleaning, I washed them in the gentle cycle and hung out to dry. Now it looks like the white is flaking off, and the stains are still there.

Think my next step is to forget about the stains and spray with 3M Scotchguard. Fortunately the white flaking surface only seems to be the top layer.

I wonder if I sent them to Gill with a note if they'd send us new ones?

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 03:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
According to their website < Gill foul weather gear – youth wetsuits, dinghy suits, boating clothing, waterproof gear bags >,
"All Gill products are guaranteed for their lifetime. This means that you can trust a Gill product to perform whenever you need it to. The Gill Lifetime Guarantee covers against all defects in material and workmanship for that product's lifetime. This means that if, after inspection, the product is found to be defective (other than fair wear & tear) we will repair or replace it at our discretion, free of charge."
Gill North America: Customer Care - Lifetime Guarantee

Contact Customer Care: Gill North America: Customer Care - Contact Us

Gill Garment Care Instructions:
Gill North America: Customer Care - Size Chart

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 07:25   #9
cruiser

Another method is to have 2 sets of foul weather gear. We do this to save $$ and of course washing. The first set gets us through really nasty weather and allows us to head to the slopes for a day of snowboarding or cross country skiing. The second set is for when it's hot and rainy and you aren't so how that you enjoy being wet. Second set is also for 3 mile dinghy rides in 4' chop. We wear them on sunny days too, to aviod being hosed by salt water.

First set: Expedition type North Face waterproof ski jacket with hood and matching waterproof pants. With these, you can pilot the boat in sub zero (degrees C) temps and be warm and dry as you wish in rain, snow, sleet, etc...

Second set: $30 vinyl "bright yellow" raingear from West Marine with vents, but not breathable. To clean salt off, wear ashore one day while it's raining. If they get too funky, buy another set. They're $30.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing