Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 13:38   #1

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380
Cutting down In Mast Furling Mast

Looking at upgrading to a bigger boat. The few I'm interested in have In Mast Furling that are 63' to 64' bridge clearance. I really don't want the stress on trying to barely clearing under every bridge on the ICW since I live off the ICW.

So, I'm thinking of cutting the mast from 63' to 61'. I've tried to look up details on how the top of the mast head is with the In Furling rigging such as what's in side the mast top for the furling system to see what it would take to make the cut.

Anyone know where I can find a site that has these details on in mast furlers?

And yes, I know the rigging and sheets will need reworked.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 14:07   #2

Re: Cutting down In Mast Furling Mast

You would cut the bottom, or you would have to send sails to loft for recut/reshape! Wicked expensive for a little piece of mind, not to mention the change in boat behavior, and having to cut stays etc, etc!!!!!! Not worth the effort!!!!!!!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 14:35   #3

Cutting down In Mast Furling Mast

Agree on Mike's point about complexity.

If you must proceed - 2 likely steps along the way are contacting the spar manufacturer directly for their schematic & also finding (or drilling) a small inspection port near the mast head.

If this job exceeds boat yard capabilities, and is hard to transport, you might look for a boat yard next to a machine shop.

Maybe someone on the forum knows a place?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4034.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	151583
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 15:21   #4

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

It can be done and I believe from the top is the best way but more expensive. If you cut from the bottom you are lowering your boom by 2' and that could be bigger issues. Nance Underwood Rigging is in Ft Lauderdale and would be the first place I would call to find out if you want to proceed. They could handle the whole project.

If it's a Charlestown Spar or Sparcraft spar the US factory is in Charlotte.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 19:48   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Many masts are built in two pieces and assembled with a sleeve at the commissioning site. If yours happens to besuch a spar, then the obvious place to remove length is at the splice. No mods to furling gear other than shortening the foil would be required.

But I agree that it seems a huge effort and expense to avoid the anxiety you anticipate. Lots of folks seem to manage with stock mast heights.

Jim
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50   #6

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380

It is a Seldon in-mast furling system. Thanks for the comments and knowing it is an expensive procedure going forward but feel it is well worth the efforts to get the size of boat needed and the ease of mind knowing with each bridge crossing that we should have no issues (Probably not all bridges).

Talked to a local sail maker and he comfortable felt that performance would not be noticeable and that things can be done to keep the performance.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:12   #7

Boat: Hunter 380 - 2000 - 38'

I have a Selden in mast furling system and I wonder why you even want one. It has some advantages such as being able to shorten sail to any amount, but if I had a choice, I would find a boat with a boom furler or no furler and add the boom furler. . Much better sail shape, same reefing advantage and you can use full length battens. Also shortening the mast would be a easier w/o the furling rig in there. I'm going that way with my next boat.
Bacchanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 23:39   #8

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Might be easier to raise the bridges.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mast