Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37   #16

Re: Boomkicker vs Rigid Vang vs 'Soft' Vang

I'm old school. A soft vang with a big shackle on the mast end is a great preventer at times, doesnt damage the boom or create a hard stress point as much as a hard vang setup. Some people love their hard vangs though... seems real far down the list on a cruiser if money matters.... to me anyway...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09   #17

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm old school. A soft vang with a big shackle on the mast end is a great preventer at times, doesnt damage the boom or create a hard stress point as much as a hard vang setup. Some people love their hard vangs though... seems real far down the list on a cruiser if money matters.... to me anyway...
I discovered the hard way why most people say to rig the preventer to the end of the boom. Years ago on the way to Hawaii accidental jibe had the preventer prevent the boom from jibing from the vang attachment to the mast, the rest of the boom jibed. And it just happened again to a friend taking his boat to the Single Handed Transpac while he was delivering his boat to San Fran.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:16   #18

Yes, most definitely there are times to do certain things. My soft vang actually had large snap shackles at both ends and could be adjusted as needed. I wouldnt likely prevent a rig at all on a long offshore passage on a cruising boat, at least in the nighttime. On the other hand, and unprevented accidental jibe might be more damaging than a prevented one!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 16:05   #19

We are too looking to install a rigid or boomkicker on our 35 Lagoon CCC. Any suggestions on this one?
3sailingjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:25   #20

Boat: Beneteau 423

The rigid vang on our Beneteau 423 is noisy. Somewhere deep down inside the spring squeaks. It isn't a problem on the mooring or anchor because we always tie the boom off against the topping lift and main sheet. However when sailing in light air and some amount of seas, it squeaks constantly. I suppose we might be able to tension the vang against the topping lift to reduce the noise.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 19:26   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Or squirt some lube in there?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 19:57   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sailingjacks View Post
We are too looking to install a rigid or boomkicker on our 35 Lagoon CCC. Any suggestions on this one?
If you have a dodger or bimini installed, yes.

If you have a large roach on the main and want to remove the boom topping lift, yes.

Otherwise, a soft vang should do.
Old 29-11-2012, 23:02   #23

Boat: Beneteau 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico
Or squirt some lube in there?
Yes I tried that, but I can't get the lube where it is needed. Maybe I will bring it home over the winter and see if it can be disassembled. And reassembled.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:00   #24

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

I know this is an old thread, but I had few comments to add re: addition of a boomkicker.

Overall, I like, but not love it. My objective for installing this was my boat partner at the time was 6'4", and there was not standing room under the boom in the cockpit. Many cracked heads occurred, and I hated hated hated messing with the topping lift in rougher conditions. I won't sail with it rigged (don't like that it chafed the sail, or tangled on the backstay) but when reefing without it the boom would sit on top of the dodger, lower than my head height at 5'1". It was a safety consideration - one less thing to worry about.

Placement of the boomkicker on the boom was a beast. I have a 32' sailboat, with the 1500 model boomkicker. To get the angles correct, I had to cut off 5" (the max allowable) This gave a lot of upward force and lots of head room in the cockpit. I also use the boom to lower the outboard into the dinghy from the pushpit, and as part of my plan for COB recovery.(depending upon the situation of course) Alas... my 4:1 fiddle block vang was no longer up to task to crank the boom back down when downwind. I cascaded the blocks up to 8:1, which is workable, but really, it needs a winch on it

I'm still happy with my choice, but be very careful with placement and angles, and ensuring that there is enough horizontal distance between the vang attachment and the boomkicker. I had to guess at the new vang attachment placement, and wish now I'd left another 1" or 2" between them, as the fiddle block chafes slightly on the boomkicker attachment.

Just my $0.02.
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 15:54   #25

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When I purchased mine, they supplied two pairs of fiberglass rods.
They suggested I try the smaller diameter ones first.
They were ok, but a little bit squishy.
When I mentioned that, they said not to try the larger (0.750") ones.
Instead, they sent me a pair of 0.700" which were perfect.

I have end boom sheeting and a pair of preventers which when combined, equal a vang.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote