Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 16:17   #1

ballpark price on new asian mainsail

Looking to replace my current mainsail. I end up spending about an hour repairing it for every 24 underway and every time I haul it up or down I can see little tears here and there.

Anyway...

I was thinking of using Lee sails or another one of the offshore places. I'll be back in the US for 3-4 weeks and could have it shipped there then drive it back down with me.

I got quoted $2500 for my ~46' luff 19' foot, here in La Paz by Snug Harbor Sails. Triple reef points, no battens.

If it's only a few hundred bucks difference calculating in shipping and time I'll just get it here.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:28   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: ballpark price on new asian mainsail

We paid almost $2400 for a Hood and a Lee was going to be $1800 something.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 16:42   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Eric, you might try pulsing Island Planet sails. One of the principals posts here on CF and he seems to go out of his way for other CFers. I believe that their sails, like most of the on line shops, are made in a giant factory called China Sails or some such. I met one of their agents who is out cruising and he was a pretty bright chap... so at least some of their "on site" measurers have some chops.

Good luck... you will enjoy the new sail, mate!

Jim
Old 04-06-2013, 16:47   #4

Thanks Jim. Ann was nice enough to tell me enough about your experiences with a hurricane in Mexico here and I haven't written back yet, so apologies for that.

There's a lot to be said for not dragging a sail back in the rental car if I can avoid it, but I'll just see what the prices come out to be.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

Being here in Asia it is interesting to see the market. Lee sails are the cheapest but to be the cheapest they cut a few corners.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Thanks Jim. Ann was nice enough to tell me enough about your experiences with a hurricane in Mexico here and I haven't written back yet, so apologies for that.

There's a lot to be said for not dragging a sail back in the rental car if I can avoid it, but I'll just see what the prices come out to be.
Eric,with a mainsail there is also the matter of having someone local to shout at if there are any problems with the sail. Mains have enough tiddley bits in the design and execution to make this a definite advantage.

It sound like you have elected to go for a very simple battenless sail, and that makes many things simpler for the sailmaker... fewer things to go wrong due to faulty measurement or execution, so that helps. But still, a big mainsail is heavy and bloody awkward to carry around in a car. Not having to deal with 15 foot battens helps, but they are still a handful!

Let us know what you decide... always interested in other folks decision processes.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04   #7

I ordered 220 square meters ( 2367 sqft) of sail. I got quotes from Rolly Tasker, China sail Factory and Lee sails. Only Lee Sails do direct business with private people. The others use agents, so they are higher priced than a good offer from a local sailmaker.
Specially China Sailfactory was extreme hight priced via PinkSails here in the Netherlands.
Lee Sails do business with private people. They offered the best price.
But i found a sailmaker here in the Netherlands that offered the same price as Lee Sails but for heavier cloth, so actually better priced. They let the sails produce in Poland and have much experience with traditional sails like i have.
I expect the sails beginning of July.

If you have standard "on stock" sails you can find good deals in China.
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10   #8

Boat: Tayana 37

Main (P:44, E 15.25) 8oz Dracon crosscut, for a Tayana 37 from Rolly Tasker in Thailand $1,700 for the sail, $1,960 with three reefs, $255 for UPS shipping for main & staysail so for a main only should be less, batons included. Offshore Quality with Tayana logo.

Very pleased, inspected it closely and cant find anything to moan about.
Ancient.Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient.Mariner View Post
Main (P:44, E 15.25) 8oz Dracon crosscut, for a Tayana 37 from Rolly Tasker in Thailand $1,700 for the sail, $1,960 with three reefs, $255 for UPS shipping for main & staysail so for a main only should be less, batons included. Offshore Quality with Tayana logo.

Very pleased, inspected it closely and cant find anything to moan about.
Okay so that Tayana 37 is about the same dimensions as mine and you were coming in not much cheaper than what the local guys are quoting so I think I'll stick with my local sailmaker then.

One of the two sailmakers here is a pretty salty guy. Has a Hans Christian himself and when I told him I didn't want battens he patted me on the back and told me "good lad".
Old 15-06-2013, 13:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark10 View Post
I ordered 220 square meters ( 2367 sqft) of sail. I got quotes from Rolly Tasker, China sail Factory and Lee sails. Only Lee Sails do direct business with private people. The others use agents, so they are higher priced than a good offer from a local sailmaker.
Specially China Sailfactory was extreme hight priced via PinkSails here in the Netherlands.
Lee Sails do business with private people. They offered the best price.
But i found a sailmaker here in the Netherlands that offered the same price as Lee Sails but for heavier cloth, so actually better priced. They let the sails produce in Poland and have much experience with traditional sails like i have.
I expect the sails beginning of July.

If you have standard "on stock" sails you can find good deals in China.
Not true. I have ordered directly from Rolly Tasker in Thailand. Great work, no hassles.
Old 15-06-2013, 20:19   #11
Marine Service Provider

Some company's will direct you through a local agent if they have one in your area. That mite be the case where this guy is from.
Old 16-06-2013, 01:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Some company's will direct you through a local agent if they have one in your area. That mite be the case where this guy is from.
And that's how it is.
Rolly Tasker is spread by Sail Select and China Sails by a lot of company's
Mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 06:19   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

I bought a vectran laminate sail from Ullman for my Tartan 3800 for under 3 grand. Ullman has plenty of lofts if you need repairs. I didn't want another dacron sail and this was a great upgrade. Getting a vectran 135% soon as the cruising kitty increases.
bmm32005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 21:28   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark10 View Post
And that's how it is.
Rolly Tasker is spread by Sail Select and China Sails by a lot of company's
China Sail Factory or CSF isn't represented by sail lofts as such. They are a totally custom wholesale manufacturer. Each loft is in full control of the design and engineering of the sail. So two sails from different company's but both built at CSF could be completely different.

Ullman is CSF's biggest customer Sail-World.com : Dave Ullman - yachting's elder Statesman (Pt.I).
Old 18-06-2013, 06:33   #15

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
China Sail Factory or CSF isn't represented by sail lofts as such. They are a totally custom wholesale manufacturer. Each loft is in full control of the design and engineering of the sail. So two sails from different company's but both built at CSF could be completely different.

Ullman is CSF's biggest customer Sail-World.com : Dave Ullman - yachting's elder Statesman (Pt.I).

Yes the sail fabric and panels were from CSF and assembeled at Ullman Cleveland.
bmm32005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, price