Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:22   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence
Using Single Diaphram Pumps as Bilge Pumps

Has anyone experience using an electric single diaphram pump, such as a whale or Gulper type as a remote mounted bilge pump? My Gulfstar 37 has an extremely narrow and difficult to access bilge, so you have to use a remote pump with a suction hose attached...I think the lift is about 2 feet, but the head would be almost open flow after that point. Currently use a Jabsco diaphram type pump, the one that looks like a water pressure model (motor drives a belt that moves a diaphram). I am worried about the fragility of the valve system in that type of Jabsco pump, also it only pumps about 3-4 gpm, so I would like some more capacity.

The single diaphram type looks like it could handle debris and whatever easier without clogging.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?
jlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:58   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
These types of pumps are really only good for emptying out the bottom of the bilge that can't be picked up by your regular bilge pump. we have tryed almost every brand over the years and found they all failed within the first year if used on a regular basis. The Whale Gulper seem to last the longest. We are not big fans of anything Jabsco but that is just our opinion. For anything to assist the main pump in an emergency you will need a much more serious pump.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:09   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 37 - Perseverence
Diaphram bilge pumps

Chuck: I agree with you about needing a more serious bilge pump for real emergencies...the problem is that there is literally no room for a good centrifugal pump in the bilge on the 37 gulfstar...the best I can come up with is to mount something in the engine room with the intake about level with the bottom of the engine...which means the entire bilge area would be full before it works....but for truly emergency use it would be better than nothing...the jabsco works ok for the occassional water in the bilge, as I have a dry boat, but it would not be much use if a hose came off or something. Evidently, this is what the Gulfstars were equiped with...30 years ago....and the PO just kept replacing with the same equipment.
jlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
how narrow? i have seen pumps designed to go down in a narrow bilge.
Old 26-09-2009, 22:42   #5

Boat: shannon 43 ketch Celebration
whale gulper standard on the shannon 43 . in addn higher up a big Rule and a big manual from the cockpit.
gulper was good.ds
davidschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 22:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What you do is use two pumps. Use a positive displacement pump with a hose on the suction end as a scraper pump for down lower and then a centrifugal pump where it will fit further up as your high volume pump. Put an alarm on your high volume pump.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 08:50   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Agree with David and think the Gulper 220 is the best "second bilgepump" out there. Instead of a hose down into the bilge, I prefer to use a length of 3/4" PVC pipe, stopping about 3/8" or less from the bottom, without strainer. Whatever enters the pipe will be pumped overboard.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2009, 10:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Nick is describing a "skimmer", which protects the other pump from floating debris.
Another good idea, that I didn't think of.
Of course it doesn't dry the bilge.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:03   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Gord,

I tried a hose + strainer too and that didn't dry the bilge either. The only electrical thingy that succeeded with my tests was a shop vac.

With the PVC pipe, I use the standard PVC clamps to fasten that size of pipe. At the top of the pipe, I use PVC cement and an elbow to create a 90 degree turn, followed by a couple of inches of pipe again and a pipe-to-thread fitting. Then, I mount a clamp on the vertical part so that I can still adjust the height of it. Then I test, bringing the pipe down while pumping to decide between the volume pumped and the amount of water left later. I only have a couple of mm left, which quickly evaporates.

For electrical: a float switch will switch off long before the pump finished. You can use nice & spiff vacuum switches to keep the pump running as long as it's not drawing air, but the Gulper can pump air+water mixture too, so you will stop too soon that way. I am now using a solenoid with timer (from Raritan toilet) and adjust the timer until it's just perfect. I mount the float switch to the bottom-end of the draw-pipe itself using a little bracket made of King Starboard.

For my gray water tank, this system is foolproof. Every 6 months (we're talking full time use for _all_ gray water aboard) I need to rinse the (cheap, standard) float switch to get it unstuck. The incoming gray water drops on top of the float switch for self-cleaning action. This too was found to work the best after many experiments.
Every 3 years I need to replace the float switch because the float fails (fills with water). The pump didn't need any service for the past 5 years.

Compared to the old "traditional system": it needed maintenance every 3 weeks which included removing and disassembling it's $100 super float switch, cleaning the yucky soap residue out and disassembling the macerator pump to clean the shaft from hair wrapped around it. It needed a new pump-head every year or so.
Also, the hose & strainer needed cleaning while I never had to touch the PVC pipe again.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 08:13   #10

jlogan as a gulfstar 37 owner was wondering if the orig. pump and pick up tube is still in the boat our's is a 79 and has a itt jabsco 800 series i know it won't do much in a flood but works ok for emptying bilge. our float switch is on a length of plexi-glass on the forward side of the sump, and sits about 5" from bottom. if your worried about a breach then i think you would have go with an engine mounted crash pump
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 07:56   #11
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
there are pumps and there are PUMPS.

See here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-30399.html
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 08:03   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
single diaphram pumps do not like matchsticks
Old 29-09-2009, 08:05   #13
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
single diaphram pumps do not like matchsticks
Neither do centrifugals.

Both benefit from a screen or strum box.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump