Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 06:46   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Re-purpose the holding tank for water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP Man View Post
Installed a Natures Head composting toilet so not using the 20-25 gallon holding tank (stainless I think).

It would be perfect for drinking water storage with a small plumbing change.

IP Man (should really change to Hinckley Man)
bet Hinckley wouldn't be impressed with your name change idea if this holding tank idea is your standard thinking
Old 08-08-2014, 07:28   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree with Valhalla... Germaphobes will never be satisfied

Etch, 2 prime coats and 3 coats of potable water polyurethane .
Replace all plumbing.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:03   #18

Wow great feedback

I think I get the picture now.

Was trying once again to take a shortcut to a solution, just doesn't seem to work on boats now does it?

Looks like a new tank for sure and of course new plumbing and new deck fitting/vents hose.

Thanks to everyone and have a great day!

IP Man
IP Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:15   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

Water to poop OK. Poop to water not so. Unless you acid /caustic clean then steam clean and flush I wouldn't bother. You'll need to ensure the self passivation of the stainless can recover after this process. It will recover naturally in ambient air.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

For those that feel that cleaning the tank and replacing the hoses/fittings are good enough, would you tell your wife/women and guests?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Brilliant Phil...

Was always wondering if there were some way to conceal bulk rum... Conveniently placed and plumbed transfer system too...

Do you think a small inconspicuous tap on the side of the head pump would be overlooked by authorities???
Glad to see that someone else has the same warped mind as mine! Rum works for me... you can always poop in a bucket and save the really useful containers for important stores like beer, rum, wine, etc... sounds like the basis for a new thread. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30   #22

With proper sterilization (etching, strong bleach shocking etc), replacing all hoses and fittings, my guess is you will get away with it. But will you ever really want to have that water in front of you? I don't think I could get past it mentally!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:53   #23

Boat: Seafarer36c

Is drinking water from a clean steel tank any worse than drinking treated sewage? I think San Diego for one, is going that direction.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:59   #24
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Brilliant Phil...

Was always wondering if there were some way to conceal bulk rum... Conveniently placed and plumbed transfer system too...

Do you think a small inconspicuous tap on the side of the head pump would be overlooked by authorities???

Once worked with a heavy drinker concerned about his long list of DWI. He cleaned out the windshield wiper fluid reservoir in his truck, and kept it filled with Crown Royal. He cut the hose under the dash that goes from reservoir to wiper squirters, and kept it clipped off with a hemostat when not in use. Voila, an under dash bar! Push the wiper fluid button, and the hose under the dash squirts whiskey in yer drink! No bottle for the man to find (guess he never considered his obvious inebriation). Ah, the deep south...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:33   #25

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Ok....assuming and that's a big assumption, that the material used to line the inside if the tank is suitable for potable water, then you do have a course of action to sterilize the inside. This by no means will mean it's "clean" it will just mean whatever is in there will be sterile.

Go to a wine making shop, and buy sodium metabisulfate or potassium metabisulfate.

Empty the tank.

Put in 1 teaspoon of that chemical into the tank per gallon. Then fill up the tank until there is say a couple inches of air left in the top....warning, done breath the fumes, double warning, don't sniff just to see, you'll burn your nostrils and my react rather comically to anyone watching...you have been warned...stay down wind when filling. I am serious!!!!

Let that stand in your tank, and go sailing in a rough sea to splashing it around good. (That's why you left some air, so the water can move around and splash).

While out, let the tank drain but take a sample of what's draining in a clear GLASS jar. If it's steel or aluminum grey in color then the material isn't suitable for potable water, but if it's mostly clear, then hold on to it.

Go back to dock, fill all the way and drain it 3 times to flush out the sulphites. Let that clean water stand in the tank for 3 days.

Let it run from the tap a bit to ensure your tap line is clear of sulphites too...then take another sample in GLASS. Then bring that to your local agricultural extension office and have them do a full work up. That will tell you what impurities are in the water including metals.
If it comes back as clean and safe.

The whole process might take a week, but it will only cost you a few bucks to make sure it's safe...once you've had it tested, no reason to ever think or repeat it used to be a holding tank.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Glad to see that someone else has the same warped mind as mine! Rum works for me... you can always poop in a bucket and save the really useful containers for important stores like beer, rum, wine, etc... sounds like the basis for a new thread. Cheers, Phil
Warped Indeed!!!

Just wondering if we may be shooting ourselves in the foot posting ideas publicly... I mean there's only so many locations to hide stuff on a boat!

Hmm.... My mast comes down right behind a panel above my adult libation mixing station... If I just enlarge the cable run window....

Question: Is it still called an internal halyard if the bitter end is inside the mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Once worked with a heavy drinker concerned about his long list of DWI. He cleaned out the windshield wiper fluid reservoir in his truck, and kept it filled with Crown Royal. He cut the hose under the dash that goes from reservoir to wiper squirters, and kept it clipped off with a hemostat when not in use. Voila, an under dash bar! Push the wiper fluid button, and the hose under the dash squirts whiskey in yer drink! No bottle for the man to find (guess he never considered his obvious inebriation). Ah, the deep south...
Min...

I can't decide whether I'm ashamed or proud to have fully investigated this particular modification of which you speak... To the point of obtaining a new reservoir and pump assembly....

Questions: 1. Is it possible to remove coring in a non structurally critical location without removing one skin??? 2. Do you know if there are any leaching or structurally detrimental effects of distilled liquor on a large surface area fiberglass tank??? Say... Oh... 1/2" x 3' x 6'?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 14:05   #27
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Min...

I can't decide whether I'm ashamed or proud to have fully investigated this particular modification of which you speak... To the point of obtaining a new reservoir and pump assembly....

Questions: 1. Is it possible to remove coring in a non structurally critical location without removing one skin??? 2. Do you know if there are any leaching or structurally detrimental effects of distilled liquor on a large surface area fiberglass tank??? Say... Oh... 1/2" x 3' x 6'?

1. Yes, if you can access it from the side.

2. No, you should be fine. Unless maybe it was some of that "white lightning" they make in your parts, that stuff will strip the paint off a truckbed!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 14:09   #28

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

I wouldn't drink out of structural epoxy. It's one thing to use plastic drinking glasses as it's mostly the same thing, but it's another to drink out of a resin designed for structural support. You don't know what was added to the recipe for this or that effect.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:04   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
1. Yes, if you can access it from the side.

2. No, you should be fine. Unless maybe it was some of that "white lightning" they make in your parts, that stuff will strip the paint off a truckbed!
Oh... I've tried the white likker stuff, that's an entirely different league and best left for professionals like FlemSCoyle... Like comparing a Sabot regatta to the Vendee...

Hmm... 0.5"x36"x72"=1296 in/cu=21.24L...

Now I see the serious advantages of a new build, and owner input in the very early layup stages...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:08   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
For those that feel that cleaning the tank and replacing the hoses/fittings are good enough, would you tell your wife/women and guests?
The whole point is it's the impression of being icky with no basis in fact.

Try this: Would you eat a restauant knowing that someone with VD used the plate and silverware the just put in front of you? I can all but guarantee if you go out to eat at all, it's happened to you.

If you point it out to someone just before eating, a lot of people would hesitate before digging in, even thought the have done it on a regular basis for years.

We aren't talking about flushing the tank with fresh water a couple times and calling it good. The tank would be emptied, scrubbed, bleached, all fittings and hoses replaced...there just isn't a whole lot that will survive that and the stray icky creature that might is no longer being fed it's prefered diet and will quickly die of starvation. From a factual basis, there isn't a problem to speak of.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, water