Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 21:47   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Propane gauge issues

Notwithstanding the temperature question, I would ask two things; is the POL nipple fully inserted? If the tank has a safety valve (and a new consumer grade tank very well might) then the POL has to be fully inserted to depress the safety piston. In a similar vein, does the POL have an excess flow shutoff? Has it been accidentally activated? Or is the ball jammed?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Using a Pressure Gauge with a Propane Cylinderhttp://www.uclmail.net/users/dn.cash/Propane.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:45   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes I understand that when liquids evaporate it absorbs heat to do so.
That is why sweating cools you off. It’s also how your refrigerator works

BUT IT’S NOT THE BOIING THAT CAUSES PRESSURE DROP, ITS THE DROP IN TEMPERATURE. TEMPERATURE IS THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES PROPANE PRESSURE.

Then you guys need to look up the output pressure of a low pressure propane system, it’s very, very low. About 1/2 PSI.
To get the tank to drop down to that pressure would be very difficult, so what you see from a tank that it’s interior pressure is dropped a lot which causes a lot of boiling and therefore a large temperature drop is greatly decreased output, your stove when on high looks like it’s on low.
Be real tough to get one to stop completely, that would take dropping tank pressure to below the point of where the regulator won’t open, and that is real low pressure.

Much, much more likely that if it stopped it was from water in the tank or possibly the line, but if changing the tank got it working again, most likely in the tank.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 05:49   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I haven’t looked at Gord’s link, but a pressure gauge on a propane tank is used as a leak detector, you can’t determine level. If your interested though you can determine the temperature of the propane, because it’s pressure will follow its temperature.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:19   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
TEMPERATURE IS THE ONLY THING THAT CHANGES PROPANE PRESSURE.
True, but only true within a context where the tank count / size / shape / orientation is held constant.

Going to a larger tank, or connecting multiple small tanks together, will allow the system to work at lower temperatures, or let you get a higher percent of fuel out at a given temperature.

But gently warming the tank as stated above, may be an easier method in this case.

Never with open flame of course.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 14:43   #21

Boat: Moody 49

Ok, thank you all for your assistance. This question was all about using the inline pressure gauge. I wanted other users experience. Not about regulator or temperate.

All interesting none the less.

Prize goes to Gord for the article; bottom line I have a faulty pressure gauge. However it’s utility when working is dubious at best. I will get a spring balance.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 14:47   #22

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thurlow View Post
I will get a spring balance.
...and it is also great for bragging rights when you land a fish.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 16:16   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ok, thank you all for your assistance. This question was all about using the inline pressure gauge. I wanted other users experience. Not about regulator or temperate.

All interesting none the less.

Prize goes to Gord for the article; bottom line I have a faulty pressure gauge. However it’s utility when working is dubious at best. I will get a spring balance.

Actually an in-line Gauge is critical and necessary, just it’s not for determining when your low on propane.
What it’s used for is seeing if you have any leaks. You turn on your propane solenoid and the stove is off of course, leave the solenoid on and shut off the propane valve on the tank, the pressure should hold for several minutes with no drop. If it does then of course you don’t have a leak, if the pressure drops, you have a leak and need to find it.

Sorry to ask but you did change to a propane regulator I assume? I assume you had to or the tank wouldn’t connect, but it’s been a long time since I’ve used butane so I’m not sure.
Old 12-12-2019, 16:18   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
...and it is also great for bragging rights when you land a fish.

Bill

Get one marked in pounds, then claim it’s in Kilograms.
Old 12-12-2019, 17:23   #25
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

The gauge only displays the temperature-dependent pressure of the propane - not its volume. Any reading higher than "empty" merely says: "you have some unknown amount of propane in the tank." At a constant temperature, it'll read that amount until just before the tank is empty.

The only certain way to know how much propane is in the tank is to weigh the tank and do a little arithmetic. Use a fish scale.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 19:02   #26

Boat: Moody 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Actually an in-line Gauge is critical and necessary, just it’s not for determining when your low on propane.
What it’s used for is seeing if you have any leaks. You turn on your propane solenoid and the stove is off of course, leave the solenoid on and shut off the propane valve on the tank, the pressure should hold for several minutes with no drop. If it does then of course you don’t have a leak, if the pressure drops, you have a leak and need to find it.

Sorry to ask but you did change to a propane regulator I assume? I assume you had to or the tank wouldn’t connect, but it’s been a long time since I’ve used butane so I’m not sure.
Thanks, yes get value of the leak detection; I have a valve and shut offs but not a solenoid

Yes also changed to propane regulator .

Pretty sure I have a duff gauge.
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 22:13   #27
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
The only certain way to know how much propane is in the tank is to weigh the tank and do a little arithmetic. Use a fish scale.
Other ways exist that are certain, just not as precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Gauges are pretty useless except for the ones that use an internal float.

Weigh the tanks for precision, or just run some warm water along the outside wall. Or buy the scandinavian translucent tanks.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 02:51   #28

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
BACKGROUND: I recently and successfully changed from UK Butane to US propane running from US 11lb tanks. For several weeks no issues however albeit in a cooler period - a few degrees above freezing the gas seemed to have run out, cylinders changed over - no issues.

I took the apparently empty cylinder to be filled and the station operator remarked it was less than half used.

Bought a Grilpro inline gauge and fitted it. No propane at the stove with all fittings the same. Remove gauge and all is well. Refitted gauge propane ran for 5 seconds then no propane at stove.

QUESTION

It would appear the gauge is just not passing propane. Am I doing something wrong or have I just been unlucky with a faulty product?
A dead gauge won't stop the propane from flowing. The guage is usually in a Tee fitting which has mo way to block the flow of propane. You can temporarily remove the guage and Tee to see if the propane still flows.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 03:09   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

As noted, LPG gas bottle pressure (LPG gas cylinder pressure) varies with temperature.
The LPG gas pressure goes from 0 kPa (0 PSIG or 0 bar) at -43ºC to 2482 kPa (360 PSIG or 24.8 bar) at 70ºC.
LPG is a liquefied gas. So, the LPG pressure inside the cylinder will remain the same from full until the vaporisation of the last of the liquid LPG. Then the LPG pressure will fall, with the use of the last of the LPG vapour.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 05:03   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Thanks, yes get value of the leak detection; I have a valve and shut offs but not a solenoid

Yes also changed to propane regulator .

Pretty sure I have a duff gauge.
No solenoid? They're a requirement.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane