Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 18:33   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Pickling a Watermaker

Due to a family emergency I had to pickle ours in March. We are now back on the boat, but we have gone to ground to await hurricane season to pass. Plan on leaving in November.
How long is a pickling with Sodium Metabisulphite good for? Should I fresh water flush and repickle? May be tough to find RV antifreeze in the middle of Summer in Ga.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 19:56   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Pickling a Watermaker

We have never pickled ours but we are rarely away from the boat more than a few days.

That being said; the manual desalinators that are meant for emergency use are typically pickled and left unused for years.
Old 01-06-2018, 22:25   #3
cruiser

We use the recommended pickling solution from Rich at RO or the Spectra solution. Both are good for more than a year. Don’t know about RV antifreeze.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:30   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It’s a Cruise RO, pickled IAW the instructions, the instructions say it’s good for extended periods, I didn’t know how long that was, nor do I know if consumer pickling is the same as Dow Corning does etc.
I had read here that for extended intervals food grade propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) was better, but didn’t know why.
I’m just doing Boat maintenance and wouldn’t mind going the RV route, it’s easy and not expensive and I can get it on Amazon.
Should I?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:08   #5

The new chemical for Spectra is supposed to be good for 6 months and the RV stuff is good for a year but I've used the standard chemical for close to a year without any negative results. The RV stuff is supposed to be the best really long term solution. The only downside is you have to flush it for many hours before you can make good water again.
Years ago I used the standard Spectra chemical after I sold my boat and the new owner never fired up the water maker for over 2 years and it worked fine with the same specs it produced when I had it so I think there is lots of slack in the recommendations to allow for screw up operators.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:19   #6

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Youll be fine with the Sodium Metabisulfate....... I woudlnt bother, re pickleing. if your water maker was properly flushed with fresh water , it can go 60 + days with out having to pickle.
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:22   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
Youll be fine with the Sodium Metabisulfate....... I woudlnt bother, re pickleing. if your water maker was properly flushed with fresh water , it can go 60 + days with out having to pickle.

Total time pickled will be closer to 8 months, 240 days.
It’s been pickled about 60+ days now, won’t do into regular use until around Nov.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52   #8

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

What i was trying to say is you can easily go 60 days with out using it and with out picking it if you flushed well after the last use.

I had mine pickled for 9 months when i did the refit. no issues.

I wouldn't bother re pickeling it . 8 months will be fine, just flush it real good when you go to re commission.
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:56   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK got it.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:51   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I'd be careful leaving any watermaker either un flushed or un pickled for more than two weeks. Sodium Bi is fine for most watermakers, never in a Spectra. PG can be had at West Marine. If they don't have it in stock they can have it delivered usually by the next day. I far prefer PG over the pother pickling solutions. Not only will it pickle longer 2+ years but it better protects the internals of the watermaker system better which is more important than the membrane cost wise.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:23   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Way mine is pickled is you bypass the HP pump, only membranes, their housing and the low pressure boost pump I believe is pickled, and the filter as well, forgot them.

Is it the HP pump you mean by protect or these other components?
I don’t mind pickling with PG as it’s easy and inexpensive.

If I pickle with PG, should I very thoroughly flush with fresh water first?
Old 03-06-2018, 08:34   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pickling a Watermaker

OH, PG I think comes in different strengths?
Use the -50 and dilute by 50% with chlorine free water?
Old 03-06-2018, 19:52   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'd be careful leaving any watermaker either un flushed or un pickled for more than two weeks. Sodium Bi is fine for most watermakers, never in a Spectra. PG can be had at West Marine. If they don't have it in stock they can have it delivered usually by the next day. I far prefer PG over the pother pickling solutions. Not only will it pickle longer 2+ years but it better protects the internals of the watermaker system better which is more important than the membrane cost wise.
Yes...
YES....and yes.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 19:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Yes...
YES....and yes.

When using PG you need to use at least a concentration greater than 25 to 35% because PG and lower strength concentrations is not effective and can actually become a food for certain bacteria.

I would skip meta metabisulfite all together as a water make a preservative and only recommend PG because it's so much better. The problem is carrying around a bunch of gallons of that stuff sometimes isn't easy when you're a cruiser out away from the US. You can always order propylene glycol online from West Marine for like 7 Bucks a gallon.... cheap and easy.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:47   #15

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We winterized our Spectra watermaker with propylene glycol when we left our boat on the hard in Norfolk, Virginia for the winter. When we were ready to use the watermaker again, we ran it with the pressure relief valve open for about a half-hour before making water.

I have been interested in trying polyethylene glycol as a pickling compound as it is very similar chemically to propylene glycol and is often prescribed by doctors for their patients (I had to drink a bunch of it before I had a certain medical procedure - the embarrassing one). If possible, I’d prefer to pickle my water maker with something that’s designed for human consumption rather than something that has labels on it that say it could be harmful if ingested.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker