Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 10:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Overboard holding tank discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
How do you plan to get the waste out of the deck fitting? Surely you don't intend to simply let it run out the top. Realize also that by pumping from below, you will be unable to empty the waste line to the deck. This all sounds like a messy, smelly disaster waiting to happen.

If he goes this route, all he would need is a thread in plastic quick disconnect fitting and a 1.5" PVC elbow and about 1 foot of PVC pipe, that gets it well clear of the boat, easy to clean out and store and likely less than $10 in parts, except the pump of course.
I wouldn't go this route cause I believe then your only option is to self pump out, I'd put the tank on the deck mounted quick disconnect
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:23   #17

Boat: 36' Hartog ketch

The PO on my boat had almost the same setup (Y-valve going to thru-hull or tank from macerating head) but also had a whale hand pump from the outlet hose on the tank through a vented loop to a T joint between the Y-valve and the thru-hull, so the tank could be emptied at sea.
To keep the authorities at bay, I added a deck fitting and a second Y-valve on the outlet hose before the hand pump, with a lock on both Y-valves.
ThresherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:07   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I would just pop a through hull somewhat above the waterline yet having a valve on it. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:48   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningTide View Post
My boat uses a hand-powered diaphram pump to empty the holding tank. It empties thru a thru-hull below the waterline. This has worked very well for 15 years.
This is what I would have suggested, with the output of the pump going into a T fitting on the line to the existing thru-hull. The checkvalves in the diaphragm pump eliminate the need for another 2-way valve, which you would need for a macerator pump.

However the OP said "It does not have a through hull discharge", which I interpreted as "the boat does not have a through hull discharge".
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:38   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I would just pop a through hull somewhat above the waterline yet having a valve on it. JMHO

That is what I have done and I'm struggling with what is acceptable to the Poo police on disabling or locking the valves?
Original valve installed by the builder is just a seacock, no real way to lock it, and I have never, ever heard of anyone looking in my neck of the woods, but I will be traveling and is S Fl I guess they check this kind of thing.
Newly installed valve for the macerator is nothing more than a 1" ball valve that you cannot remove the handle.
Is drilling. Whole in the handle and ziptieing it closed acceptable?

See I don't understand the rev, even if I had it padlocked,what does that accomplish? I can unlock it at any time I wanted,and lock it as I saw them coming.
Old 07-01-2017, 13:11   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
How do you plan to get the waste out of the deck fitting? Surely you don't intend to simply let it run out the top. Realize also that by pumping from below, you will be unable to empty the waste line to the deck. This all sounds like a messy, smelly disaster waiting to happen.
When I had a trailered boat, I rigged a macerator pump with a 12 volt power adapter and a hose. I used two PVC fittings to make a slip fit for the pump to the deck outlet and when I got home from boating I used the macerator pump (much as I assume the OP is planning) to empty my boat's holding tank into the city waste piping by way of a pipe attached to my home's sewage piping. It worked fine.

I could have used the same thing to empty the tank into the river if I had wanted to (illegal) or offshore.

The neighborhood kids thought it was neat to watch me empty my "poop tank".
Old 07-01-2017, 13:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
................ Is there a reason so many people on this forum always assume the OP had no idea what they are doing and ignore the direct question?
Often, the OP actually does have no idea what they are doing.

Or, perhaps the OP has overlooked other means of accomplishing what we are led to believe is the task to be accomplished.

If what you want is a pump with a higher lift and are not open to other suggestions, get off the forum and look at waste pumps. You should be able to find what you need as easily as anyone else.

If you don't mind thinking outside the box, how about pooping in a porta-potty and dumping it over the side when it's full. Even a bucket and a seat would do.
Old 07-01-2017, 13:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is what I have done and I'm struggling with what is acceptable to the Poo police on disabling or locking the valves?
Original valve installed by the builder is just a seacock, no real way to lock it, and I have never, ever heard of anyone looking in my neck of the woods, but I will be traveling and is S Fl I guess they check this kind of thing.
Newly installed valve for the macerator is nothing more than a 1" ball valve that you cannot remove the handle.
Is drilling. Whole in the handle and ziptieing it closed acceptable?

See I don't understand the rev, even if I had it padlocked,what does that accomplish? I can unlock it at any time I wanted,and lock it as I saw them coming.
I have no valves either. Not to be in violation, I replaced the pushbutton switch to the macerator with a key switch. I keep the key hidden, I don't leave it in the switch or hang it on a nail next to the switch.
Old 07-01-2017, 13:46   #24

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

"Is drilling. Whole in the handle and ziptieing it closed acceptable?"

That is what I have done. I use zip ties that must be cut to remove and run them through a block that is epoxied to the hull.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 14:27   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I have no valves either. Not to be in violation, I replaced the pushbutton switch to the macerator with a key switch. I keep the key hidden, I don't leave it in the switch or hang it on a nail next to the switch.

That is legit? Does anyone have a link to the applicable reg? Is it Federal or Florida, or maybe by County in Florida?
I have a valve, just not way of locking it, but without the regulation I don't know what the law is.
I'll do a little looking surely can't be too hard to find, before I didn't worry too much, but as I'm now replacing everything I won't as much as possible to be in compliance
Old 07-01-2017, 14:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
"Is drilling. Whole in the handle and ziptieing it closed acceptable?"

That is what I have done. I use zip ties that must be cut to remove and run them through a block that is epoxied to the hull.
a64, yes. I have been inspected every two years for the past 18 and this has proved acceptable to both the CG Auxiliary and the CG.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:07   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Overboard holding tank discharge

Only thing I can find is it's part of the clean water act, and there it says the valves must be closed and says you should use a non releasable wire or zip tie to keep it closed. Now should is not mandatory, that word of course is must.
But way I interpreted what I read, you must have a valve, it must be closed, and should be held closed by a non releasable wire etc. or removal of the handle.
Not sure what non releasable means, but it would seem even a pad lock doesn't comply with the letter of the law?
I'm not trying to be an outhouse Lawyer, just want to understand and be in compliance.
But it sounds to me like a zip tie is the ticket?
Old 07-01-2017, 15:13   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CFR 33-159.7 I believe is the applicable CFR, it says padlock or you can lock the door to the holding tank, I think that is the way I will go, locking the compt.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/33/159.7
Old 07-01-2017, 16:02   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Similar to EveningTide, we use a simple whale diaphragm pump to empty our holding tank from the deck discharge. Pump cunnects to the fitting with nylon pipe fittings and a hose. Also a hose drapes overboard. Pump is mounter on a board. Takes about 150 pumps to clear the tank. Easy. Reliable and needs no chages to the boat plumbing.
Jamhass, how high does your pump have to suck the stuff to get it to the deck fitting? I was going to recommend a Whale 10 but when I checked the specs, it said they only had a suction lift of one meter. Not enough for the OP who will have to lift five feet or more.
Old 07-01-2017, 16:12   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"Is there a reason so many people on this forum always assume the OP had no idea what they are doing and ignore the direct question?[/QUOTE]

Vino, I answered your question in post 3. An Edson 18 will self prime as high as you need.

Tags
holding tank, overboard