Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 15:03   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re-insulating doors with Areogel.

Just put up a new video on a job recently completed.

Im working on a video of a entire box build as well and will be posting that shortly .

Regards John

Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:27   #2

Re: Re-insulating doors with Areogel.

I had excellent results with that insulation
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 22:00   #3

Is this the product you're using?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rogel_hand.jpg
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

I actually used this , it's Aerogel Infused to a matt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380906349501

I don't insulate full boxes with this product because of the cost , but it works great for the doors enabling us to keep them fairly thin .

Regards John
Old 09-01-2017, 10:59   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

ColdEh Marine Refrigeration youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvD...mTG5fNWo-1nLAw

ColdEh Marine Refrigeration Website
ColdEh Marine Refrigeration - The Most Energy Efficient Air-Cooled Technology

Thanks for sharing.

For those that are as jaded as I am, I've never heard of ColdEh Marine before or know anyone else who does. :-)
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
ColdEh Marine Refrigeration youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvD...mTG5fNWo-1nLAw

ColdEh Marine Refrigeration Website
ColdEh Marine Refrigeration - The Most Energy Efficient Air-Cooled Technology

Thanks for sharing.

For those that are as jaded as I am, I've never heard of ColdEh Marine before or know anyone else who does. :-)
ColdEh is a new company that I started , I have been messing around for over 40 years in boats and have found a lot of the systems on boats to be poorly designed and expensive. We are a solely owned Canadian company founded by me. I have developed a system like no other on the market . It is reliable and very efficient without water cooling. I will be updating the site weekly if not more often , when I do I will share all the information on this site as well.

This is my other youtube site
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCC...4BzzTGJM3YJSTw

We will be at the Annapolis Spring Boat show so come down and have a look at what we have done to better the marine refrigeration market. Its about time sailors had more, and different choices when it comes to our refrigeration systems.

Regards John.
Old 11-01-2017, 19:47   #7

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Interesting system, however, if I remember from the video you have 24 Oz of refrigerant in the system and that refrigerant is R12A.

That is a mixture of R-290 (propane) and R-600 (isobutane).

While widely used in Europe in home refrigeration systems, having 24 ounces of propane in the enclosed space of a boat would definitely give me pause before ordering such a system.

With a separate fridge and freezer aboard that would be about 3 pounds of propane below decks in an environment where it could pool in the bilge and then find an ignition source like a starter motor. It is simply a larger risk than I am willing to take.

The use of a txv in the system appears to be working very nicely and is the type of system I have been looking for.

Do consider a non explosive / flammable refrigerant for the marine market and I expect you will have a significant following.

Good luck and hope to see you in annapolis.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:14   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
Interesting system, however, if I remember from the video you have 24 Oz of refrigerant in the system and that refrigerant is R12A.

That is a mixture of R-290 (propane) and R-600 (isobutane).

While widely used in Europe in home refrigeration systems, having 24 ounces of propane in the enclosed space of a boat would definitely give me pause before ordering such a system.

With a separate fridge and freezer aboard that would be about 3 pounds of propane below decks in an environment where it could pool in the bilge and then find an ignition source like a starter motor. It is simply a larger risk than I am willing to take.

The use of a txv in the system appears to be working very nicely and is the type of system I have been looking for.

Do consider a non explosive / flammable refrigerant for the marine market and I expect you will have a significant following.

Good luck and hope to see you in annapolis.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hi Botanybay .

Thank you for your comments .

We are actually building two systems charged with R134a as a refrigerant right now . There is of course a small loss in efficiency, these systems run at higher head pressures. If you are after the ultimate on the efficiency side then R12a is the way to go .

We actually only charge our systems with 12oz of R12a , this seems to be the best balance and always keeps liquid refrigerant at the TXVs sight glass. R134 requires more , we charge these systems with approximately 20oz dependent on the length of the line set.

The website will be getting updated shortly to show an option for the customers preferred refrigerant choose. Initial testing shows very little difference between the two types of refrigerants. Our all copper evaporator and condenser are the key factors in the energy savings that we have experienced with these systems.

All our testing is done with our BD35 Danfoss compressor set at default or low speed

Drop me an email if you have any questions

Regards John Tully