Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 07:27   #46

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Electric Heads

Hi there,

any experience with toilets with integrated bidet function / douche-toilets so far? (like the Tecma E-BREEZE) Tecma catalog

I have one from Geberit (AquaClean) at home and would love to get one on board.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 16:15   #47

Re: electric heads

What are the thoughts on this type of Jabsco? Looks like I'll own two of them shortly....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170804_155212.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	154361  
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 06:29   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
....So if you want an electric toilet, buy one that's designed to BE an electric toilet...don't settle for just a motor that replaces the pump handle. Practical Sailor just did a review of electric toilets...they rated the Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Elegance toilet "best of show" and the Raritan SeaEra Raritan Sea Era "best budget buy." If your budget will stand the Groco model K electric, there's more than enough room in it for the Elegance...I'd go with that one and the optional "smart flush" panel.
Peggy, how to choose all the options on the Raritan site? I have sea water intake, a macerator near the thru hulls (still learning what it does and when) and 12v. That Sea Era sounds like the ticket for the most used head while I keep a newly pumped Jabsco for the front one I use only.
Thank you!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 08:25   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Peggy, how to choose all the options on the Raritan site? I have sea water intake, a macerator near the thru hulls (still learning what it does and when) and 12v. That Sea Era sounds like the ticket for the most used head while I keep a newly pumped Jabsco for the front one I use only. Thank you!
I'm fairly certain that the macerator pump dumps your holding tank...nothing to do with the toilet. At least I HOPE that's what it does!

If you're determined to replace the Model K with an electric toilet, the Raritan SeaEra is your best choice...available in both sea water and fresh water versions (the sea water version should NOT be connected to the fresh water plumbing). The installation, operation maintenance manual for it is here: Raritan SeaEra owners manual

Plumbing it is the easy part. Wiring is the most important thing when installing an electric toilet. It should be on its own separate dedicated circuit with its own breaker, shared by nothing else--not even cabin lights--that can reduce power to the toilet...'cuz low voltage destroys electric motors. (Also the most common reason for sluggish discharge). Correct wire size for the distance from the power source (battery)...always determined by the round trip distance,, not just one way.

And btw...I strongly recommend that you also replace ALL the hoses. From everything you've said in both threads here, they have to be old...and old hoses dry out and become hard, brittle and prone to cracking.

I also suggest that you check out the link in my signature...the title is a bit misleading. It's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual that will answer a lot of your questions...and I'm always glad to answer any it doesn't.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote