Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 09:08   #1

Electric Heads

i am considering an electric head the raritan marine elegance head i was curious if users have found these heads to be reliable some what maintenance free and user friendly
Jeffreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:21   #2

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Re: electric heads

Hi Jeffrey,

I installed one last year in the aft head. It works great and lets you switch between fresh and salt water. No clogs, bowl seems to flush with the right amount of water, and it's comfortable. It's great for non boaters especially as people seem to get it with far less explanation.

Additionally i found i use way less water as people use the "little flush" "big flush" buttons appropriately, where as with the pump unit they tend to flush a whole lot more water down.

I haven't commissioned it for the spring yet, so we'll see how the winter treated it, but with proper winterization i don't see any reason there should be issues.
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:24   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I have had an older unit for 2 years with no problems. I did rebuilt it 2 years ago, which wasn't a big problem. The only thing I don't like is the noise of it.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:28   #4

I have two for a year. No problems, no clogs, no maintenance. Even easy to clean on the outside with no funny little corners that look dirty. Very comfy. Thinking of installing a rack for reading material. Best head I've ever had - and I've had many including Lavacs.

While expensive, I'd spring for the smart control panel. Easy for guests and reduces water use (which also means fewer pump outs).

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I have had an older unit for 2 years with no problems. I did rebuilt it 2 years ago, which wasn't a big problem. The only thing I don't like is the noise of it.
Don, I don't think your toilet is the Marine Elegance. Raritan Elegance toilet It's barely been on the market two years, if that long. So you couldn't have rebuilt one that soon...plus, one of its best features is how incredibly quiet it is.

Practical Sailor just published a test of macerating electric toilets in this month's issue...they tested 14 toilets-14 toilets representing a good cross-section of the models available from major manufacturers, including Dometic, Groco, Jabsco, and Raritan. They rated the Raritan Marine Elegance "Best Choice" and recommended the Raritan SeaEra Raritan Sea Era as the best "Budget Buy."

So go for it Jeffery...you'll love it! And do take Carl's advice to add the "Smart Flush" panel. It's designed to be a pressurized flush water toilet...it CAN use sea water with the addition of a remote intake pump. The "SeaFresh" system that lets you choose at will adds quite a bit to the price, so you're the only one that can decide if it's worth it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 14:57   #6

I out one in a while ago, set to work with an Electrosan. Works OK but it has more complexity than I want. A fair bit of current draw. I find it no real improvement over the old one. All in all, if I had it to do over, I'd stay with a manual.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamcore View Post
I out one in a while ago, set to work with an Electrosan. Works OK but it has more complexity than I want. A fair bit of current draw. I find it no real improvement over the old one. All in all, if I had it to do over, I'd stay with a manual.
+1. I went electric once and concluded it was just one of those pointless upgrades that tempt when there's too much spare cash about. Get it as a new toy if you like, but it's a variation - not an improvement. Imo.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:57   #8

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I ran through three of the middle price control panels before Raritan upgraded me to two of the more pricey controllers - no problems since.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 04:43   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Don, I don't think your toilet is the Marine Elegance. Raritan Elegance toilet It's barely been on the market two years, if that long. So you couldn't have rebuilt one that soon...plus, one of its best features is how incredibly quiet it is.

Practical Sailor just published a test of macerating electric toilets in this month's issue...they tested 14 toilets-14 toilets representing a good cross-section of the models available from major manufacturers, including Dometic, Groco, Jabsco, and Raritan. They rated the Raritan Marine Elegance "Best Choice" and recommended the Raritan SeaEra Raritan Sea Era as the best "Budget Buy."
I read that article with great interest. In the end like most PS articles it didn't really say much.

It looking at the noise levels in the articles it doesn't appear they are "incredibly quiet".
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 05:39   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Love and hate here.

I think el toiled is a great invention and they tend to work very well. Unfortunately, most users tend to use them in all but proper way. Then they stop (the toilets) and someone has to fix them.

Last time I fixed one a new engin/pump assembly cost an equivalent of a complete manual Jabsco.

OK. So, if you can afford one and the servicemen / replacement parts, no problem.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:17   #11

Help!
Restoring 1979 43 Endeavour Ketch. Both LectraSans need work. Both Control units....box with a meter and what appears to be a timer...SHOT!
Had hoped to find one used somehere....did not even spot one on LectraSan web page....
I have more time than cash like many, anybody have a working unit gathering dust somewhere.
s/v Hurricane-Pensacola Fl.
"Buzz" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:43   #12
Marine Service Provider

That "stove timer" controller became obsolete so long ago that Raritan hasn't even offered any parts for it in at least 10 years...which means that they're not the only part of the system that's shot. And a used one may not be in any better shape, 'cuz too often the people selling 'em don't have a clue how they work, so they "bench test" it to make sure the motors run, destroying the electrode pack by doing so. So you'll be much better off in the long run biting the bullet and going with a new one than you're likely to be by trying to salvage one that old or buying used.

Raritan's Ft. Lauderdale plant sometimes has refurbs and "scratch 'n' dents" for a good discount...give 'em a call: 954-525-0378
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:46   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have an electric toilet in the after head in our boat. It is a Jabsco conversion unit -- one of those which can be attached instead of the manual pump in the regular Jabsco manual toilet.

It was probably the same age as the boat when I bought it, so nine years old. The electric motor died the day before I expected VIP guests on board last summer in Dartmouth. It was an incredible pain -- no parts available in that time frame -- but the day was saved by the ability to install a regular manual pump in place of the electric conversion unit.

Despite this episode, I love the toilet and plan to install the same thing in the forward head. Electric toilets macerate right at the toilet, before anything is sent into your plumbing. Because of that, I figure that the chances of a clog are greatly reduced, and any clog which does occur should be localized at the macerator, instead of in the hellishly difficult to clear discharge piping. I experienced my first (in decades of cruising) clogged marine toilet just days after the episode above -- the same VIP guests managed to clog that toilet on their last day aboard, following which I spent nearly a week in plumbing hell. The desire to never repeat that story is another big reason for installing the second electric toilet forward.

I am going to stick with the Jabsco conversion units. They are built like tanks, first of all. They are relatively inexpensive. They are very noisy, but I can live with that. A great advantage of this particular type is that you can keep a manual pump on board as a spare in case of any problem. The electric conversion unit can be swapped for the manual pump unit in about three minutes flat -- simples.

As far as maintenance is concerned, it is less than with a manual toilet. The pumps do not require lubrication. Each electric toilet has two impellers -- one for the supply side, and one for the discharge side. These impellers may need replacing once in a while. I think that's about it, besides the usual maintenance of the pipes, flushing out with fresh water before leaving the boat, flushing out with some kind of acid or another (vinegar, Harpic, etc.) to keep down calcium deposits, being carefully to flush through very thoroughly after No. 1 to prevent those calcium deposits in the first place. In that regard, electric toilets have an advantage in that the user is less likely to be lazy and not flush through long enough.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:14   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've owned 2 for a bit over 5 years that were originally installed 9 years ago. So far no issues. They claim to be quiet flush, but only when compared to a chain saw. Mine are rigged for fresh water flush. One thing to be aware of is that the soleoid valves controlling the flush water are seated by water pressure. If you turn off your pressurized water system when you leave the boat you'll drain your water tank into the bilge through the head. Don't ask me how I found that out.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:16   #15

Boat: Cabo Rico

I think if electricity is going to be used for the toilet it should be directed towards a Type-1 Sanitation device. I don't think a hand pumped head is a big deal. But like everything, it's choices...
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote