Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2007, 22:06   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Electric Heads Noise

We've got a Jabsco electric head on our boat and man is it noisy. It sounds like a router or circular saw flailing away on sheet metal.

The noise makes it impossible to use the owners head when someone is sleeping (despite a separation of about 5 meters between head & bed). I also think its really intrusive for other boaters if you're on a dock. Who wants to listen to that s***, so to speak.

This thing is so noisy that I'm considering replacing it with a good quality manual pump.

Is there a way to either reduce the noise, or, are there quieter pumps which can be fitted?
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 22:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well yes they are noisey. No matter which electric one you have. The macerator and impellor pump make a real noise. Whether it is worse than it should be is the big issue. I would perhaps dismantle the pump and check it out. Make sure nothing is rubbing inside making the noise. The only other choices are cheaper manual pumps, or more expensive Vacum type systems.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 01:27   #3

Boat: Lotus 10.6
We took our electric one out and put in a manual jabsco. Uses no power, quieter, good exercise and when we take people out for the day it is more of a novelty.

I reckon those electric ones are rubbish. They are are bit like water beds, in a few years no one will have one.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 01:48   #4

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
noise from the mucher

Well I have to fessup to being bad!! I removed the macerator & fitted a Jabsco diaphram pump to my old Lavac. I tried to replace the hand pump with a Jabsco macerator but had multi failures of the impeller & boy that thing was full of noise. No more failures & very quite. The system has a bell push behind the seat were it cannot be operated by "small hands" & a 27sec timer to ensure the system is well flushed. I can recommend the diaphram pump. I know you all will be on my case for disregarding regulations but I pump out in open waters.

Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 06:22   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Among all marine heads, the Jabsco manual is among if not the worst and is considered a throw-away as the cost of replacement parts, needed often, is almost that of a new head. Among the electrics, the Jabsco electric is the noisest. The Rartian SeaEra with pressure water solenoid is one of the least noisy as would it's counterparts operating with pressure water which eliminates the intake pump. The only problem with these heads is the need for a dedicated and isolated water source so as to avoid cross-contamination.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 09:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
We took our electric one out and put in a manual jabsco. Uses no power, quieter, good exercise and when we take people out for the day it is more of a novelty.
Ok, you have to pump the handle 15 or 20 times, but if that constitutes "exercise", you are way too out of shape to be operating a boat.
Old 28-11-2007, 13:11   #7

It would be worthwhile to try to hear a similar toilet in operation before pulling your one apart, just to see of your's is abnormal.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 18:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It would be worthwhile to try to hear a similar toilet in operation before pulling your one apart, just to see of your's is abnormal.
Absolutely!! That is one of the worst jobs I can imagine and I'd hate to spend time with my head stuck down behind the heads only to find all is OK!

Seriously though, these things are so noisy that I really question their utility.
Old 28-11-2007, 19:09   #9

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
head

The part no for the pump to convert to a friendly & reliable unit is Jabsco 50890-1000

Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 19:18   #10

We have a TMC electric head (macerator toilets are mandatory here) it's pretty similar to a Jabsco, but around half the price. It's not exactly silent, but the noise level is quite acceptable.

One alternative might be switching to a liquid diet.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 20:04   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
One of my customers wives didn't like the noise that the electric head made.

She asked me about manual heads.......I told her of the various types....she wanted something that would be problem free.....and she didn't like the looks of the plastic ones......Sold them a "Skipper" she was very happy and they sailed to the islands.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 20:22   #12

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42
I know of one guy who circumnavigate in his sixty foot steel ketch that he build himself and had one "offshore head" . It was a SS seat mounted on the push pit . No pumping , just dumping . It was used 99% of the time . No spars to worry about, no smell in the cabin . The call of nature got to be answered naturally .
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 21:03   #13

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by coot View Post
Ok, you have to pump the handle 15 or 20 times, but if that constitutes "exercise", you are way too out of shape to be operating a boat.
No I use my right hand to pump, then I have a few more beers to exercise the left hand. Then once my bladder is full I get to exercise the right hand again. Depending on how many beers I have I can have quite a good workout.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 21:07   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
And Darryl has such strong arms :-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 23:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
The part no for the pump to convert to a friendly & reliable unit is Jabsco 50890-1000

Regards Bill Goodward
Many thanks Bill - I'll look into that at the London Boat Show.

It'll be a little more sociable than the liquid diet exercise program suggested by another poster.

Tags
noise