Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 04:38   #46

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Wotname, that seems like a sensible set of regulations. Why can't the rest of the world accept this common sense approach? (that's a rhetorical question)
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:19   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Thank you everyone for your responses.

To clarify, our boat did not have a holding tank when we bought it and we were quoted $3-4 in parts from Beneteau + install costs to have the stock one installed (and that's only in one of the two heads)

We'll look into a macerator, but we don't plan on installed a holding tank if those are the costs.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:08   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Wotname, that seems like a sensible set of regulations. Why can't the rest of the world accept this common sense approach? (that's a rhetorical question)
+1,000,000
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 13:13   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sorry RC, that's no longer correct; see here for the current Tassie situation

Boat Sewage Management Directives - EPA Tasmania

In short from the EPA link above

Vessels carrying 15 or less can discharge closer to shore but not -

from in inland waters where dilution or dispersion are sometimes difficult and water may be used for drinking purposes;
in marinas, canals and mooring areas where there may be large numbers of vessels; or
in marine reserves where the marine environment is afforded special protection; or
in listed waterways where there are particular risks or inadequate scope for dilution or dispersion; or
in waters less than 5 metres deep where there may be inadequate depth to allow adequate dilution or dispersion;
within 500m of swimming beaches during the warmer months when many people may be exposed to infectious agents; or
within 120m of a swimmer for the same reason; or
within 500m of shellfish farms where shellfish may concentrate any infectious agents; or
within 500m of a wharf or jetty where vessels and people are likely to be concentrated; or
within 120m of shore in listed areas where there is likely to be more boat traffic and people using the shoreline; or
within 50m of another vessel with crew who may draw water for washing or decide to go swimming.
In all cases the restrictions apply to any discharges containing faecal material and a discharge must not result in visible floating solids or prolonged discolouration of the receiving waters. Urine discharge is not restricted.

within 50m of another vessel...

Still to close for me. When we are at anchorage the warm climates we spend a lot of time in the water around the boat. I know a lot of people don’t care and dump anywhere (literally). I think they should fly a brown flag on the mast or something to let the rest of us know to stay far away.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 13:45   #50

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post

Still to close for me.
There is a lot of fauna less than 50m from your boat going #2 in the water unless you cruise the Dead Sea.

A little math that might make you feel better (or not). The amount of water in a radius of 50M and 3M depth is 23 million liters.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:22   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekatlrg View Post

Still to close for me. When we are at anchorage the warm climates we spend a lot of time in the water around the boat. I know a lot of people don’t care and dump anywhere (literally). I think they should fly a brown flag on the mast or something to let the rest of us know to stay far away.
You'd be the only one without a brown flag. If you're that sensitive, best stay clear of all fish, other boats, people on the beaches, and above all else, never go near a swimming pool. Only in America will you find people so overly poop and germ phobic.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:40   #52
med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You'd be the only one without a brown flag. If you're that sensitive, best stay clear of all fish, other boats, people on the beaches, and above all else, never go near a swimming pool. Only in America will you find people so overly poop and germ phobic.
Indeed.

The speed at which poop will get eaten by the fish in the Med is very impressive. Within seconds, nothing is left.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:50   #53

Kenomac,
I am just going to pretend I never read that or I might not swim in an anchorage ever again.

Transmitterdan,
Hard to argue with math a good friend and I were having this debate a number of years back his stance was given the current and tidal flow and what not it was the equivalent of flushing with 50 million gallons of water or some stupid number like that.
Still not convinced but I don’t pee in the pool either.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:52   #54

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I'm going to stop eating fish...
Old 12-06-2015, 15:29   #55
med

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I'm going to stop eating fish...
You won't want to read this then:-

Poop shakes - Scientific American

Or ever have a chocolate milkshake again ;-)
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 15:40   #56
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
You won't want to read this then:-

Poop shakes - Scientific American

Or ever have a chocolate milkshake again ;-)
Looks like the dischargers are doing their public duty as low cost freelance health professionals; just another case on one mans rubbish is another mans treasure.

Win/win...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 16:21   #57

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

Your right. I didn't know of this happening last year

"Until recently, the discharge of sewage from any vessel was an offence in all State waters under the Pollution of Waters by Oils and Noxious Substances Act 1987 (PWONSA).Parliament recently passed an amendment to PWONSA to provide that the offence provision will not apply to discharge which complies with a Sewage Management Directive."

You remember the year before when there was all that media hype in the papers and yachties picking up a fuss everywhere Well, I didn't pick up a fuss but I spent time and a couple of k, installing a holding tank so I'd be ready. lol.

Personally, for such a pristine environment as ours I think they compromised too much reading all this. And in the Tamar, even the city council discharges raw sewage into the river in times of heavy rain.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 16:30   #58

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:

I tend to remember a big fuss about who was 'invited' to be on this committee too. I think from memory the recreational organisations weren't represented at all (?). Looking at these those they had nothing to be worried about.

"The Directive was made by the Director after consultation with an expert working group over many months and after a call for public comment on a Draft Directive."
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 17:45   #59

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Did I miss the sarcasm did I
On this rare occasion, no sarcasm intended. You said a bucket wouldn't help the Op. I realize a Port-a-potty isn't a bucket, but I do think a port-a-potty is a legal head, but they need to be "portable". Then the OP would not need a holding tank.
Old 12-06-2015, 18:00   #60

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses.

To clarify, our boat did not have a holding tank when we bought it and we were quoted $3-4 in parts from Beneteau + install costs to have the stock one installed (and that's only in one of the two heads)

We'll look into a macerator, but we don't plan on installed a holding tank if those are the costs.
I'd guess you could DIY for less that $300, not from Beneteau, but a reliable local Chandlery.

Tags
holding tank, legal