Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 09:22   #16

Re: Do I need a holding tank? (legally speaking)

Sloopman your lectrasan is treated waste and is legal everywhere except in a ndz
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:30   #17

Boat: Bénéteau 423

The Erie Canal has a rule that even locking out a Y valve is not sufficient. The system allowing overboard pumping must be totally removed! That was a concern to me before using the canal, but I was reassured by those who use the canal regularly that such a thing is never checked. And I had no problems. Of course I stuck by the moral code and used my holding tank and pumped out at proper pump out stations, many of which are free! At least one is do-it-yourself and very convenient!
domander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:44   #18

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Domestic 711-M28 $549.99 in West's catalogue has a base with a built in 9.5 gal. Holding tank. Standard inlet and outlet and flush water feed.I feed my fresh water for flushing directly from a six gal. Tank above and the discharge hose goes to the deck pump out .I removed the thru hull and glassed in the hole.No electricity and at 2pints per flush, over 50 flushes. No smell. Legal, simple and safe. The old seawater inlet goes to a wash down pump for anchor chain or putting out a fire. Defender has the same type set up. For 1/2 plus, plus freight.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:54   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The SF bay is a zero discharge zone so boats without a holding tank with a head that is able to pump overboard are liable to get a ticket if inspected. In some jurisdictions in the US even locking the thru-hull valve closed will not avoid a citation if there is no holding tank.

No Discharge Zones | Region 9: Water Programs | US EPA
Richardson Bay in the SF Bay is a no discharge zone. The rest of the Bay is not a No Discharge Zone (I know, bad English) You can operate a boat in Richardson Bay without a holding tank, you just cannot discharge here. I have a Letrasan unit which I use on the SF Bay and according to the USCG, that is legal, I just have to tell people that they cannot pump the head while in Richardson Bay. Discharging treated sewage in the SF Bay is legal except in Richardson Bay. Nowhere is it legal to discharge untreated sewage in the SF Bay.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:56   #20

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
W're planning on departing California in October and cruising the Pacific. I've done research and I'm still not very clear on holding tank requirements. Is it a recommendation or a requirement? What are the potential consequences for not having one?

Thank you

****PLEASE *** PLEASE *** PLEASE*** REFRAIN FROM LECTURING ON WHETHER IT'S ETHICALLY/MORALLY/CORTEOUS etc. TO USE A HOLDING TANK My request is information on the LEGAL requirements. Thanks!
Yes.

Legally mostly and morally near civilization always.

Playing nice with others is never a waste of time.

Demanding others dont lecture you on a polarizing topic is not something you can control.

I dont swim in your toilet so dont you pi&s in my pool. Swimming pool rule one in Australia.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:57   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopman View Post
I have a Lectrasan which is/was Coast Guard approved and does a great job. How does that fit into this picture. No holding tank.
In the US it is legal to discharge treated waste except in No Discharge Zones as described in the CFR's.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:03   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

where I cruised authorithues happy with campervan carry chemical toilet, it has 10 liter holding tank and fir singkehander shoukd suffice. The question is would US authorities accept it? And how ti prove you were not pumping raw discharge from your raw toilet?
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32   #23
cruiser

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you do decide to put in a small holding tank, make it the gravity empty type, then just leave the valve open all the time. Outside the U.S... nobody cares.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:40   #24

Boat: Islander 36

Laws aside, If you have a conventional MSD, there will be times that you wish you had a holding tank.

Since you are asking the question, I assume that you either don't have one now or are thinking of getting rid of what you have. As has been suggested, there are other options. But not many. Having said that, the one option that really makes sense is the right composing toilet. In fact, when you figure it out, it makes more sense than the conventional MSD.

After my years of dealing with the issue, that is all behind me now with my C Head. But others here have made their own and been very happy with the results as well.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:58   #25

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
****PLEASE *** PLEASE *** PLEASE*** REFRAIN FROM LECTURING ON WHETHER IT'S ETHICALLY/MORALLY/CORTEOUS etc. TO USE A HOLDING TANK My request is information on the LEGAL requirements. Thanks!
Did anyone read this?! And did anyone not notice that he's going outside US waters, so whatever regulations are in place in the US are irrelevant!

No, you are not required to have one in the vast majority of the world. Most boats that are not from the US are not fitted with a holding tank. Occasionally you may pass through 'no discharge zones' that actually enforce their regulations, and in these places a bucket with a toilet seat on top of it will suffice (e.g. Panama Canal).
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:51   #26

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
Did anyone read this?! And did anyone not notice that he's going outside US waters, so whatever regulations are in place in the US are irrelevant!
Yep. That did not escape me.

However.. ....
He does not know what he's in for. And I didn't see much in the way of judgmental comments that he was asking to avoid. The short answer to a wrong question may not be as helpful as you might think.

I also read that he is starting off in Californi. He would already be bumping up against a problem before he gets out the gate.

It is judgmental comments like this that have kept me away from the forum.

To the OP.
Short answered, Yes. You could do it.
Better to rethink the question, because there will be times that you will wish you had at least a holding tank.:
Old 11-06-2015, 12:52   #27

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Ask yourself this "how long before they change the rules (again) and we all have to have holding tanks fitted?"

Regardless of the legal situation wherever you are things change and more and more areas are stating that it is "illegal" to dump over the side within 3 miles of shore. So if you are thinking of fitting a holding tank then in the long run it might be easier and cheaper to do it know than later. Plus you know that in that idyllic bay you aren't dumping turds where others are swimming. Which quite frankly is reason enough to fit a holding tank.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 13:00   #28
cruiser

Quote:
W're planning on departing California in October and cruising the Pacific. I've done research and I'm still not very clear on holding tank requirements. Is it a recommendation or a requirement? What are the potential consequences for not having one?

Thank you

Honestly... The issue or concern just never comes up outside the USA and now Turkey of all places.

Have a nice voyage! Forget about the U.S. Requirements as you exit the Golden Gate to freedom.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 13:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkrman69 View Post
It doesn't matter what the laws of any country is. if you follow the first law of life. Think of the other people. Would you like to be on the receiving end of a wast pipe? Mans laws are originally based on morals. So, separating morals from laws is baking them. WAKE UP!!

Native Americans called the White man "unconscious"
I was an archaeologist for over 10 years and never found a native outhouse. Maybe they didnt poop?
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 13:32   #30

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

In Queensland Australia you don't have to have a holding tank but you do have to have a macerator pump to shred any discharge. Also the nil discharge zones are now so large (for example the 1000 mile long Great Barrier reef zone) that it becomes pretty impractical to not have a tank.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, legal