Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2015, 11:21   #1

Boat: Morgan 461
Re-plumbing head

Currently reworking my ‘new’ 1981 Morgan 461, getting ready for shakedown and then sail across to Med in May/June 2016. One of the previous owners evidently started re-plumbing the forward head, but did not complete. I want the ability to pump to holding tank or directly overboard and to empty holding tank at sea. Both head and tank are below waterline. There is a vented loop between the head and tank and on the tank discharge side the hose leads to a fixed ‘TEE’ which runs both to a thru-hull with seacock and to the deck pump out fitting. A macerater pump is screwed down but not plumbed next to the underwater seacock.

Don't think plumbing the pump to the hose leading to the thru hull is workable as the pump is underwater and would need a vented loop?

I plan to install a selectable ‘Y’ valve after the existing vented loop on the discharge line from head and run from that to either tank or overboard utilizing thru hull that is currently plumbed to exhaust from tank (but seems to serve no purpose, as plumbed). Then I plan to relocate the macerator pump about 3 feet above the waterline and ‘TEE’ or ‘Y’ into the deck pump out hose and run that to a separate thru hull so I can use pump to empty tank. Since pump is well above water line, do I need vented loop? Do I need selectable ‘Y’ valve or will ‘TEE’ work?

Plumbing is not my strong suit. Does this sound right/safe?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Jim and Sherrin now aboard Persistent Lady II Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-07-2015, 12:15   #2
cruiser

Re: Re-plumbing head

Don't concern yourself too much plumbing for pump out stations, you'll never find one here in the Med. Try if you can to avoid needing the macerator pump for discharging the holding tank waste overboard, you'd be better off plumbing a gravity discharge system and using a macerating electric head. Much less to go wrong.

Our stern head has a small above the waterline holding tank which leads to a through hull with a seacock. So the macerating head pumps the waste up and over an anti siphon and into the holding tank. We keep the through hull open at all times, so basically the waste just drops on through the tank. No mechanical pump out is necessary... no waste tank macerator pump involved. KISS.

The same setup for the forward head... minus the holding tank.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 12:24   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

usually an evacuator pump will not allow a backflow. placing it above waterline is good but may give you priming problems. if you have it running to its own thru hull even better .. you should only have that sea cock open when you are doing a pump out. i would have a selectable Y valve to control which pump out method i am using. my holding tank had 2 outlets for discharge hoses. it is a bit complicated but that is usually the case with boat plumbing. and if the 12v pump fails you have another mess
Old 19-07-2015, 12:35   #4

Kenomac
You are right about the Med. We found exactly 1 station between Gibraltar and Italy. However we will cruise the U.S. East for about a year first and since the tank cannot be relocated above the waterline, don't think gravity will work.. As it happens I just bought the new macerating head, so will go directly overboard with it in Med but still need tank for US, and if I have a tank, I will have the ability to empty it offshore.

Jim and Sherrin now aboard Persistent Lady II Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-07-2015, 12:44   #5

Gone sail
Good point about priming, will need to check the specs. Just trying to avoid sinking the ship!

Tags
head, plumbing