Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-04-2014, 21:48   #1

Cockpit Drain Above or Below Waterline?

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question. I've got an Endeavour 37, which we plan to do an extended cruise on. I'm struggling with the large number of large below water thru-hulls. There are seven 3/4 to 1.5 inch thru hulls plus 2 small chain locker drains all below the water line. Here's my question:
The cockpit drains are 1.5 inche dia. and drain to thru-hulls approximately 2 feet below the water line. The cockpit floor is approximately 21 inches above the waterline. Can I move the drains to an above the water line discharge maybe 15 inches below the drain, and 6 inches above the waterline. Perhaps by putting a check valve on them to keep a wave from pushing water up into the cockpit.
The other question is: Do sink drains need to be 1.25 inch diameter. It's seems odd to have a tiny head sink, draining into a giant 1.25 inch thru-hull. Do people have smaller drain lines? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Paul
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, water