Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 21:15   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Camec front loading washing machine

Quote:
The daewoo has no metal parts other than stainless tub so no worries with corrosion.
Wow! Non-metallic wiring and motors and computer boards! What'll they think of next?

'Course, none of those items ever give trouble on a boat...

Jim
Old 05-04-2019, 00:50   #47

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wow! Non-metallic wiring and motors and computer boards! What'll they think of next?

Jim

Now Jim, do I detect just the faintest whiff of disapproval here?

We are not all as hardy as you and your equally hardy sailing companion.

This and the heating are the two luxuries I am allowing myself on an otherwise pretty austere boat. And I do have to maintain a professional appearance as I will still be working for a living. I may not have to wear a tie (have not done so for 25 years) but it is still the well ironed shirt and pressed suit trousers for me for a few more years yet.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:16   #48

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Now Jim, do I detect just the faintest whiff of disapproval here?

We are not all as hardy as you and your equally hardy sailing companion.

This and the heating are the two luxuries I am allowing myself on an otherwise pretty austere boat. And I do have to maintain a professional appearance as I will still be working for a living. I may not have to wear a tie (have not done so for 25 years) but it is still the well ironed shirt and pressed suit trousers for me for a few more years yet.
Professional shoreside laundry will be way ahead of what you will be doing aboard.... and will be an expense that can be set against your income.....

Or are you going for the full washing machine, tumble dryer, ironing board... that will set the tone in the saloon rather nicely.... combo?

Bare (sic) in mind that when you get to the tropics all you need is sun hat, jocks and a pair of jandals....
Old 05-04-2019, 03:59   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Professional shoreside laundry will be way ahead of what you will be doing aboard.... and will be an expense that can be set against your income.....
If I set that against my income it would end up an outcome.

Retraining to become a teacher.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:19   #50

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
My russian built 2.2kg machine I bought in 2002 is still working but had to go as it used about 50 litres of water per wash. It lived next to the companionway and didn't appear to suffer any ill effects over the last 16 years. The new machine is placed in a better protected place on board but we will see if it lasts as long.
Looking forward to catching up J n A, heading your way.
Wayne
Old 08-04-2019, 11:40   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We installed a Candy wash/ drier and it survived over 10 years. We rarely used the drier. Ours was 6kg wash & 4kg dry. It’s hilarious that some will criticise others for having a washing machine. Try having four kids onboard and the benefits shall be realised. It was a standard domestic unit bought second hand and we thought it wouldn’t survive, yet it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
We installed a Candy 4Kg on a 49 foot monohull. This looks absolutely identical to the Camec in the link. I suspect they are the same machine, just re-badged.

It has worked perfectly. The high spin speed ensures the clothes come out needing minimal extra drying.

Power and water consumption is always of interest. We use ours on a cold wash. The power consumption, as close as I can work out, is about 6 Ahs at 24v or the equivalent of 12 Ahrs for a 12v boat. The water use seems about 35 litres (the machine will vary this depending on size of the load) and a typical standard wash and rinse cycle is just over an hour.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:53   #52

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Thanks for the Fagus shot! I'll be back there in a few years.
I like to watch the clothes being washed through the front window, better than TV. That is as far as my participation goes in the process.
No concrete in my machine by the way, it's the bolts through our sturdy bulkhead that keep it under control in the spin cycle. A good fit for any 70's or 80's model GRP. Not so sure if the new breed of boat bulkhead would cope?
Ambler, we just bought a Candy and I was tempted to remove the weights. At the end I chickened out and left them as they were factory mounted.
If you removed yours: did you compensate for lost weight with some down pulling springs?
Ours is also bolted on a boat.
I am afraid that the drum would be too high without weights and will ruin the seals.
Old 08-04-2019, 13:47   #53

Boat: Millkraft 54 (16.48m)
Send a message via Skype™ to mstr_cmdr

Quote:
Hi all,

Friends have a Camec front loading washing machine on their boat. They are pretty happy with it after a few months.

https://www.camec.com.au/compact-rv-4kg-front-load

I'm very tempted, I can pretty easily fit one on my boat and I have the required electrics and plumbing to make it all work.

However, they are on a motor boat that lives in a pen, I'm wondering how well these things would fare on a monohull that is getting around a bit. Not planning to run the thing while under way, that would be ambitious, but at anchor would be the plan.

Is anyone using one of these and if so, how well is it handling life away from the marina?

Matt
Hi Matt
To answer your question:
I have one installed in the aft shower of my mono.
It is fantastic; the wife (and I) use it regularly, although not when under-way.
It has been on the yacht for about 12 months, and is used about three times a week, even whilst cursing (but not under-way).
I think the cost is about AUD900.
The original concept was for fitting the CAMEC into a RV. However, to fit into a mono, some thought needs to go into the location, and the heel of the yacht when under way.
The mass of the unit is about 52kg, mostly due to the damping mouldings (which are concrete) surrounding the drum.
I mounted mine unit on an athwartship bulkhead by fastening two noggins across the back of the washer, and then another two thru-bolts to secure the washer to the bulkhead.
I used a hole-saw for the single hose inlet (cold water) and outlet hose. Similarly, power needs to be considered.
Water usage is about 25ltrs for a 30min wash; and about 40ltrs for the 55min wash.
It is well worth the cost and effort.
mstr_cmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 14:04   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz473 View Post
Ambler, we just bought a Candy and I was tempted to remove the weights. At the end I chickened out and left them as they were factory mounted.
If you removed yours: did you compensate for lost weight with some down pulling springs?
I am afraid that the drum would be too high without weights and will ruin the seals.
Hi Tomaz
The Candy looks like the Camec that I was keen to buy a few years ago. I read the instruction book then went to the Camec showroom in Auckland to inspected the concrete block. It was on top of the machine and had a few transport bolts that had to be removed, so the concrete would be free to move with the drum, before you could use it.
The concrete adds a resistant mass to any drum movement for spinning the clothes, especially if the clothes are a bit out of balance. The older front loaders had heavy duty springs and a slab was attached to the base frame. My old machine, 30 years ago, bounced across the laundry floor when it was out of balance even with the concrete.
So I wouldn't remove that concrete unless you were prepared to experiment with stronger springs or fabricate a fillable water tank (or similar) where the concrete was.

My 3kg Daewoo is designed to bolt to a solid wall, it comes with dyna bolts in case the wall is masonry. These machines are a new concept designed to be installed in a bathroom and run more frequently and also run very quietly. It doesn't have concrete in it. I can sometimes feel the whole boat (12 ton) vibrate during the spin cycle. I don't think there is a balance warning like the old machines and no internal springs either.

I recall the Camec info also said to ensure the floor was level (designed for RV use) so perhaps that is critical too?
Wayne
Old 08-04-2019, 15:30   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr_cmdr View Post
I mounted mine unit on an athwartship bulkhead by fastening two noggins across the back of the washer, and then another two thru-bolts to secure the washer to the bulkhead.
I used a hole-saw for the single hose inlet (cold water) and outlet hose. Similarly, power needs to be considered.
Water usage is about 25ltrs for a 30min wash; and about 40ltrs for the 55min wash.
It is well worth the cost and effort.
Great post, thank you. I will pay attention to the mounting issue as you suggest, the interior of the boat is pretty well stripped at the moment, so there's an opportunity to do it right.
Old 08-04-2019, 15:41   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaz473 View Post
I was tempted to remove the weights. At the end I chickened out and left them as they were factory mounted.
Quote:
So I wouldn't remove that concrete unless you were prepared to experiment with stronger springs or fabricate a fillable water tank (or similar) where the concrete was.

I recall the Camec info also said to ensure the floor was level (designed for RV use) so perhaps that is critical too?

My experience of fixing front loaders over the years would make me reluctant to remove the concrete. Aside from the good point about getting the seals to align properly, my gut feel is that the extra movement without the damping effect would soon tear apart the mounts and the door seal.

This was one of the reasons I was keen to hear from people who had the Camec on a monohul sailing boat: the constant leaning would put additional strain on the mounts. But it sounds like they are made well enough, as I suppose they should be given the forces from the wash cycle or bouncing around in a caravan. But I'd never try to run one under way, at anchor only for me.

I helped load the Camec onto my neighbour's boat, it was a very tricky exercise mainly due to the access restrictions on their boat (a 50+ modern motorboat, but with very narrow side decks.) I am surprised now to hear that it was 50kg, it certainly did not feel that heavy, if anyone had asked I would have said 30, but maybe I had the light end. (I did think the other guy was making it look harder than it had to be.) But 50 kg does not worry me. My boat is now more than two tons lighter than when I bought it, I'm happy to add a bit of weight if it brings a bit of comfort in compensation.

The Daewoo is still on my list to consider, but the cost and the additional challenge of the gravity draining are a problem for me.
Old 08-04-2019, 16:08   #57

Quote:
My experience of fixing front loaders over the years would make me reluctant to remove the concrete. Aside from the good point about getting the seals to align properly, my gut feel is that the extra movement without the damping effect would soon tear apart the mounts and the door seal.

This was one of the reasons I was keen to hear from people who had the Camec on a monohul sailing boat: the constant leaning would put additional strain on the mounts. But it sounds like they are made well enough, as I suppose they should be given the forces from the wash cycle or bouncing around in a caravan. But I'd never try to run one under way, at anchor only for me.

I helped load the Camec onto my neighbour's boat, it was a very tricky exercise mainly due to the access restrictions on their boat (a 50+ modern motorboat, but with very narrow side decks.) I am surprised now to hear that it was 50kg, it certainly did not feel that heavy, if anyone had asked I would have said 30, but maybe I had the light end. (I did think the other guy was making it look harder than it had to be.) But 50 kg does not worry me. My boat is now more than two tons lighter than when I bought it, I'm happy to add a bit of weight if it brings a bit of comfort in compensation.

The Daewoo is still on my list to consider, but the cost and the additional challenge of the gravity draining are a problem for me.
Our drain hose usually goes into a bucket and we usually find something that needs a scrub or a hand wash, we can even rinse the salt off the anchor chain (as recommended by PWB). Otherwise it drains into our adjacent shower area and is dealt with from there. I didn't know that it didn't have a pump but now see it as a pro, potentially one less thing to fail or maintain.
Anyway it works for us.
Old 08-04-2019, 18:08   #58

Boat: Looking for next boat

We've had a Camec RV installed in our Bavaria 46 for nearly 3 years. I cut down the bottom bunk and it fits nice and snug below the top bunk. We live aboard, so use the machine several times a week. It can fit 2 king size sheets and pillow cases.
While we're at the marine we do full hot washes, as we're not worried about power or water use, but when we're cruising we usually do a 30min cold cycle. The quick cycles are only designed for a half load though so only 1 sheet and pillow case at a time.
I run it though an inverter and it only draws around 10 amps from the 12v batteries during the spin cycle for the rest of the cycle it draws 3-5 amps. The 30 min cycle uses about 25 litres. We find it very economical and cleans well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190409_123642.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	189668  
Pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 00:38   #59

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

I started with a bucket and plunger, lots of work, lots of water to rinse even or especially if you use salt water to wash. Lost a few buckets and about pulled my hand off and went overboard dipping buckets in the wake to get water.

So I picked up a cheap 2 holer to see how I liked it. Lots better than the bucket and the spin was so fast the clothes were almost dry. Storing it under the table in the aft lanai left it exposed, but it still lasted about 18 months before rust and corrosion finished it. Successful as proof of concept.

Then I got a good deal on a Korean Daewoo through Amazon direct from Korea shipping included. (google translate for the labels) Mounted it above and behind a head in empty space. Picked up water from the lavatory and drain into that sink. Absolutely love it. Works under way. Small loads often are fine with me. But then I think automatic washing machines are one of the greatest inventions of mankind .
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:30   #60

Quote:
Our drain hose usually goes into a bucket and we usually find something that needs a scrub or a hand wash, we can even rinse the salt off the anchor chain (as recommended by PWB). Otherwise it drains into our adjacent shower area and is dealt with from there. I didn't know that it didn't have a pump but now see it as a pro, potentially one less thing to fail or maintain.
Anyway it works for us.
Nice reuse of water there. Of course the Camec could just as easily be redirected to a bucket too. But I take the point, the drainage is far from a show stopper.

So a bit of looking around produced the Daewoo at comparable price to the Camec. That eliminates the price aspect.

So then it comes down to size. The fact is, I can easily fit either, so I guess I'd favour the larger capacity machine on principle. When next at the boat I'll play a game of "what if" and see how things stack up.

It seems from the posts so far, that both machines have no particular reliability issues which is really what I most needed to know about.

Tags
loa, washing