Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 18:35   #31

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Camec front loading washing machine

No cotton.... Kotton Kills....

3 months Icebreaker 'no pong' merino.......

Drying washing is always a good look..... banned in many marinas....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1503.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	189350  
Old 03-04-2019, 19:16   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
No cotton.... Kotton Kills....

3 months Icebreaker 'no pong' merino.......

Drying washing is always a good look..... banned in many marinas....
You know, that's some bloody spectacular scenery. Pity your jocks are in the way.
Old 03-04-2019, 19:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Ladies from a certain continent planet are 'high maintenance'....
There, I fixed it for you.
Old 03-04-2019, 19:53   #34

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Right answer Ping. Our clothes no cotton except jocks, dry fast on lines under the dodger or across the deep centre cockpit for stealth. Anchored off Schouten this morning so they were hung under the solar panel targa and on a line between the stays'l and mast.
Hey Ping, thinking of the Beagle and the Fagus turning red now just below the snow line.
Wayne
Old 03-04-2019, 23:17   #35

Boat: Westerly Sealord

This is what's required..

or maybe

Yes... cotton jocks.... and towels... I salvage threadbare ones ( towels not jocks ) from down on the campo... they dry quicker.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0110.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	189360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0004.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	189361  

Old 04-04-2019, 02:37   #36

You've got me confused...

Is cotton good or bad?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:52   #37

Thanks for the Fagus shot! I'll be back there in a few years.
I like to watch the clothes being washed through the front window, better than TV. That is as far as my participation goes in the process.
No concrete in my machine by the way, it's the bolts through our sturdy bulkhead that keep it under control in the spin cycle. A good fit for any 70's or 80's model GRP. Not so sure if the new breed of boat bulkhead would cope?
Old 04-04-2019, 04:09   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

We installed a Candy 4Kg on a 49 foot monohull. This looks absolutely identical to the Camec in the link. I suspect they are the same machine, just re-badged.

It has worked perfectly. The high spin speed ensures the clothes come out needing minimal extra drying.

Power and water consumption is always of interest. We use ours on a cold wash. The power consumption, as close as I can work out, is about 6 Ahs at 24v or the equivalent of 12 Ahrs for a 12v boat. The water use seems about 35 litres (the machine will vary this depending on size of the load) and a typical standard wash and rinse cycle is just over an hour.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
You've got me confused...

Is cotton good or bad?
Cottons take ages to dry, or just lots more coins at a laundromat. It is also more bulky and heavier to carry if you are backpacking or have limited space.
I went treking in Nepal once, I then realised how quick those clothes such as thermals and travel clothes were to wash and dry so ditched all the jeans etc in my wardrobe when I moved onboard over 20 years ago.
W
Old 04-04-2019, 13:55   #40

Boat: Outremer 55L

‘Cotton kills’ is shorthand in outdoor adventure sports (hiking, trekking, skiing, climbing, etc.) that take place in cooler climates: the retained moisture in cotton can kill you through accelerated heat loss. In hotter climates cotton underwear can chafe horribly.

Merino wool is probably the most pleasant of the underwear materials that cause less problems against skin, while most of the hydrophobic artificial fibres get stinky pretty quickly.

For outer wear, denim stays damp in salt water environments. But lighter-weight cottons are fine.

For sleeping cotton sheets are most commonly available, but bamboo and other alternative fibres are available.

I’ve never tried a non-cotton towel that really works. Though in the tropics you don’t really need a towel at all. But the synthetic camp towels just seam to smear rather than dry.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 15:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
We installed a Candy 4Kg on a 49 foot monohull. This looks absolutely identical to the Camec in the link. I suspect they are the same machine, just re-badged.

It has worked perfectly. The high spin speed ensures the clothes come out needing minimal extra drying.

Power and water consumption is always of interest. We use ours on a cold wash. The power consumption, as close as I can work out, is about 6 Ahs at 24v or the equivalent of 12 Ahrs for a 12v boat. The water use seems about 35 litres (the machine will vary this depending on size of the load) and a typical standard wash and rinse cycle is just over an hour.
Thank you Noelex 77. Terrific useful info, and a level of accuracy on the use of power units that would make StuM weep with happiness.

Great to know the spin cycle is so good. I have dried my clothes on board when I lived aboard in the past. There is actually room below decks to to so, but it's not a great look and the quicker things dry the better.
Old 04-04-2019, 15:59   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Assuming the countdown is to washing machine installation:

If you're wanting to dry belowdecks, a computer fan to circulate the air in the drying area would be a nice afterthought. Noelex and Seaworthy Lass probably have already got forced air heating, which, of course, speeds the drying right along.

Ann
Old 04-04-2019, 16:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Cottons take ages to dry, or just lots more coins at a laundromat. It is also more bulky and heavier to carry if you are backpacking or have limited space.
I went treking in Nepal once, I then realised how quick those clothes such as thermals and travel clothes were to wash and dry so ditched all the jeans etc in my wardrobe when I moved onboard over 20 years ago.
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
‘Cotton kills’ is shorthand in outdoor adventure sports (hiking, trekking, skiing, climbing, etc.) that take place in cooler climates: the retained moisture in cotton can kill you through accelerated heat loss. In hotter climates cotton underwear can chafe horribly.

Merino wool is probably the most pleasant of the underwear materials that cause less problems against skin, while most of the hydrophobic artificial fibres get stinky pretty quickly.

For outer wear, denim stays damp in salt water environments. But lighter-weight cottons are fine.

For sleeping cotton sheets are most commonly available, but bamboo and other alternative fibres are available.

I’ve never tried a non-cotton towel that really works. Though in the tropics you don’t really need a towel at all. But the synthetic camp towels just seam to smear rather than dry.
Thanks guys, my sailing has not yet got to this level of painful learning. Happy to learn from others without experiencing the chafe.
Old 04-04-2019, 16:18   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Assuming the countdown is to washing machine installation:

If you're wanting to dry belowdecks, a computer fan to circulate the air in the drying area would be a nice afterthought. Noelex and Seaworthy Lass probably have already got forced air heating, which, of course, speeds the drying right along.

Ann
Ann, did I miss a post from SWL? Or is she giving advice on drying on another thread, because I'd value her thoughts.

I've got those rather nice Caframo Sirroco II fans below decks, three of them at last count, and they do move air around well. One of them at least blows right over the clothes line.

I will be installing hydronic heating (hence the Webasto Thermotop C that arrived in the post a while back) and one of the circuits was to a "towel warmer" in the bathroom, but I have been planning an adaptation that creates a drying cupboard as well. I was thinking of using it for wet weather gear, but I suppose general clothes drying makes more sense.

Countdown is to moving aboard and moving out. About 240 days now.
Old 04-04-2019, 18:29   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^

Golly! You'll have to change your signature line every day! One less day to go, by the numbers! You'll become the most popular CF member! Oh, my goodness!!!

Ann

Tags
loa, washing