Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 01:08   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Camec front loading washing machine

Hi all,

Friends have a Camec front loading washing machine on their boat. They are pretty happy with it after a few months.

https://www.camec.com.au/compact-rv-4kg-front-load

I'm very tempted, I can pretty easily fit one on my boat and I have the required electrics and plumbing to make it all work.

However, they are on a motor boat that lives in a pen, I'm wondering how well these things would fare on a monohull that is getting around a bit. Not planning to run the thing while under way, that would be ambitious, but at anchor would be the plan.

Is anyone using one of these and if so, how well is it handling life away from the marina?

Matt
Old 01-04-2019, 01:12   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Camec front loading washing machine

Looks HUGE to me. If I was to install one I would be tempted by the Daewoo wall mounted model.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:36   #3

Boat: Transpac 49

^^ What sailormed said.

We have a intellectually challenged family member on board, and there are regular 'accidents' which means that the Daewoo works pretty much everyday. It is rated 2kg, is actually 3kg, and apart from a filter clean, has copped a flogging for the last 18months without any problems. We love the wall mount, saves wardrobe space. They just released a new model that is a washer/dryer combo, and we are seriously considering selling off the current model and getting the dryer combo.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Looks HUGE to me. If I was to install one I would be tempted by the Daewoo wall mounted model.
Saw the Daewoo, it looked nice but a bit more pricey plus it used more water and held less. By sheer good luck there's a perfect spot for the Camec on my boat which helps.

Edit: I was wrong, it uses LESS water. I am confusing it with another model.

Edit again: But still more expensive and smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
^^ What sailormed said.

We have a intellectually challenged family member on board, and there are regular 'accidents' which means that the Daewoo works pretty much everyday. It is rated 2kg, is actually 3kg, and apart from a filter clean, has copped a flogging for the last 18months without any problems. We love the wall mount, saves wardrobe space. They just released a new model that is a washer/dryer combo, and we are seriously considering selling off the current model and getting the dryer combo.
Well that's good to know. I read one comment that the Daewoo struggled with a double bed linen set, can you confirm this?
Old 01-04-2019, 03:05   #5

Boat: Transpac 49

Just asked my wife. It fits a queen sheet plus 2 pillow slips. It struggles with a single quilt, if it is a 'fluffy' type. I have bamboo single quilt (thinner) and that fits.

Hope that helps :-)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
Just asked my wife. It fits a queen sheet plus 2 pillow slips. It struggles with a single quilt, if it is a 'fluffy' type. I have bamboo single quilt (thinner) and that fits.

Hope that helps :-)

Ok, that’s not too bad. I won’t ask why you had to ask your wife though.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We have a washer, wouldn’t do without it.
However they do use a huge amount of water, we wash when we are running the Watermaker that makes 35 gl an hour, the Watermaker keeps up, but doesn’t really pull ahead.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:00   #8

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I too have the Daiwoo and love it. My original problem was not understanding that the machine mearly opened the valve to drain the water by gravity and did not pump out the water. I made a sump box with float pump to pump out the water and now it’s perfect.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
I too have the Daiwoo and love it. My original problem was not understanding that the machine mearly opened the valve to drain the water by gravity and did not pump out the water. I made a sump box with float pump to pump out the water and now it’s perfect.

Yes, I read about this aspect of the Daewoo. Was a bit surprised to be honest.

One of a couple of reasons the Camec still feels better to me. But would love to find someone using one on an active monohull.

The Camec is not a heck of a lot bigger but is rated at double the load capacity. That may be a bit of ambitious marketing though.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:39   #10

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Hi Matt,
I looked at the Camec too but its full of concrete to stop it jumping around on a laundry floor. Then discovered the Daewoo. Bought the 3kg model off ebay (about $700aud delivered to Tas) bolted it to the forepeak bulkhead. It is awesome, uses about 28 litres per wash, spins a minute between each cycle (wash is 10 mins then 2 rinses and a final spin) 29 minutes all up. We catch the water and hand wash occasionally and also catch 5 litres of the last rinse for the next load if it looks clean, just pour it in with the next load of clothes.

The Korean version says 220v 60freq but I have an inverter with a switch for 50/60. When I took the case off to mount the washer I found all the electrical parts were rated 220 - 240v 50-60 anyway. Disconected and taped up the heater element too (just use the 29 min cold wash). Also figured out the Korean panel press button instructions no worries.
Happy Days
Wayne
Old 01-04-2019, 07:57   #11

Many boats have house hold clothes washers, ours is a bit bigger and has a 7Kg Stainless drum (85H * 60W * 54D) A GE Zanussi ZWH7120P, it does have short cycles and can uses from 33 to 73 Litres depending on cycle, the watermaker produces 100 litres per hour - so in a 1 hour cycle it makes more water than is consumed by the washer. We are full time cruisers and use the machine all year round - it is now over 3 years old. We do not operate it underway. I am not suggesting this is the perfect washer for the OP , but rather an indicator of how domestic machines can fulfill the function rather than pay a premium for a RV or marine unit.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:20   #12
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hi all,

Friends have a Camec front loading washing machine on their boat. They are pretty happy with it after a few months.

https://www.camec.com.au/compact-rv-4kg-front-load

I'm very tempted, I can pretty easily fit one on my boat and I have the required electrics and plumbing to make it all work.

However, they are on a motor boat that lives in a pen, I'm wondering how well these things would fare on a monohull that is getting around a bit. Not planning to run the thing while under way, that would be ambitious, but at anchor would be the plan.

Is anyone using one of these and if so, how well is it handling life away from the marina?

Matt
My boat came with one when I bought it. Never used it, quickly pulled it out, sold it to a second hand outlet, and have not replaced it...frankly, don't miss it.

The one you mentioned is for RVs and probably won't hold up too long in a salt water environment. The one I got rid of was rusted a well and that would be my chief recommendation...is it manufactured and warranted for the marine environment.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Take the time to look up the specs...it's actually reasonably compact it seems...
SailnBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 13:59   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@GILow,

Here is a vote against. That washing machine is going to take up more space than just it, you need room to access the valves and hoses. The space can be used to store more clothes. Your "grey water" tank isn't large enough. Often the water in anchorages is not clean enough to run your watermaker. If you truly want to become a vagabond, you're going to want social interaction, and meeting local ladies who do washing is one entree. Everywhere you are likely to go, there are ways to get laundry done....even if it is sharing a stream with native ladies who are doing their washing.

Ann
Old 01-04-2019, 14:21   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@GILow,

Here is a vote against. That washing machine is going to take up more space than just it, you need room to access the valves and hoses. The space can be used to store more clothes. Your "grey water" tank isn't large enough. Often the water in anchorages is not clean enough to run your watermaker. If you truly want to become a vagabond, you're going to want social interaction, and meeting local ladies who do washing is one entree. Everywhere you are likely to go, there are ways to get laundry done....even if it is sharing a stream with native ladies who are doing their washing.

Ann
'Native ladies' ? Are they AKA 'Tasmanian sheilas' down your way.....?

Tags
loa, washing