Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 13:44   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best Fresh Water Pump

Looking to maybe replace my Jabsco diaphragm pump.
Want a higher flow rate, like maybe 5 GPM, I've heard of variable speed pumps but don't know anything about them, but they sound ideal, if they last. I'd like to get away without a surge tank if possible, and want a higher flow rate so the wife can wash her hair.
Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:05   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Best Fresh Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
and want a higher flow rate so the wife can wash her hair.
Suggestions?
Tell her to jump over the side first. Then the fresh water rinse could be at low flow.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I've been happy with the shurflo pumps
AQUA KINGâ„¢ II Fresh Water Pumps
Easy to overhaul as well.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:27   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We love the variable speed pumps, but they have had some problems (search the internet). We went through 5 Shurflo VSP's - each time replaced free by Shurflo regardless of being out of warranty - until Shurflo simply stopped making them altogether.

Our current one is a Remco Aquajet: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Aquaj.../aquajetrv.htm

It is made for RV applications and isn't marketed in the marine market at all, but I can't find one single thing about it that is a liability in a marine application. The pump body and all screws are stainless, and the rest is plastic and rubber. The wiring is tinned. Best thing is that the price is about half of what a "marine" pump costs.

We like it OK, but it isn't quite as slick as the Shurflo. It's pressure valve is finicky, such that it doesn't deliver really low flow rates smoothly. It seems to only be smooth at 1/3-1/2 flow on up to full flow. In other words, if you set a faucet at low flow, the pump cycles on and off and the flow increases and decreases with it. The Shurflo pump would never cycle - it would just run very slowly and smoothly. This isn't really a problem for us, though.

Jabsco also makes a VSP (at twice the price), but we don't have any experience with it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I've been happy with the shurflo pumps
AQUA KINGâ„¢ II Fresh Water Pumps
Easy to overhaul as well.
Those are the replacement for the variable speed pump that they no longer make due to it being failure prone.

It works differently from a variable speed pump in that it uses a bypass valve to deliver lower flow rates (in essence, keeping the motor speed constant while diverting part of the flow back).

How does it handle low flow rates? Does it cycle on and off with the flow going up and down? How quiet is it?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 15-11-2015, 14:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Does not appear to cycle on and off, and the noise level is not intrusive (It is mounted below a bench seat which has some sound insulating material fitted, not too much as I like to be able to hear the pump run ans shut down.
Flow rate is fairly steady.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:58   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mark if it's what you describle, it a variable flow, constant pressure pump.
If I understand it, there will be a point of very low flow where the pump cycles on and off. Sounds like a pressure regulator to where when set point is hit, it returns the excess probably back to the suck side of the pump? If it can get the flow rate, it might be the pump for me.
I actually like my Jabsco 6000? diaphragm pumps for serviceability and longevity etc., just can't get a high enough flow rate

Old 15-11-2015, 15:17   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

As mentioned, variables went through growing pains, but I think they rock socks now...

Call/email HopCar... He'll steer ya right ~ !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 15:34   #9

Quote:
Mark if it's what you describle, it a variable flow, constant pressure pump.
If I understand it, there will be a point of very low flow where the pump cycles on and off. Sounds like a pressure regulator to where when set point is hit, it returns the excess probably back to the suck side of the pump? If it can get the flow rate, it might be the pump for me.
I actually like my Jabsco 6000? diaphragm pumps for serviceability and longevity etc., just can't get a high enough flow rate
Yes, it has an adjustable pressure regulator. That is what I meant by "finicky". I can't seem to get it adjusted so that it delivers constant low flow AND shuts itself off. The sweet adjustment spot seems to be achieving constant ~1/3 rated flow on up.

It doesn't recycle the excess, it simply cuts the motor until the pressure drops. So the motor cuts in and out at low flow. I can adjust the regulator so that it achieves constant low flow, but then it never shuts off.

This could be because we have MILES of plumbing throughout the boat, and even though it is PEX, it probably still provides a lot of "give" to pressure.

But like I said, we are rarely concerned with constant low flow. If I am dribbling water for some reason/project, it doesn't bother me that the flow isn't constant.

The high end is constant and hard - 5.5gpm no problem. Showers are great, as is washing down the deck, etc.

Mark

Old 15-11-2015, 15:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
As mentioned, variables went through growing pains, but I think they rock socks now...

Call/email HopCar... He'll steer ya right ~ !
In the marine world, I think Jabsco is the only one still providing VSP's.

Mark

Old 15-11-2015, 15:44   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

a64pilot: I love having 6gpm on our saltwater washdown pump but freshwater, no. If you're making your own water with a high output watermaker perhaps you have lots but otherwise it seems like fresh water is precious most places. 6gpm? we'd be out in no time. Your wife doesn't really say she needs 6gpm to wash her hair? Seriously. Standard household shower heads use between 1.5 gpm (low flow) and 6gpm (wasteful gushers typically older fixtures) with 3gpm being pretty good flow. I've got very long & thick hair and I choose to wash it in the galley sink rather than the shower and using a very low flow rate fixture. You might just consider getting a different head on the shower for your wife's more effective use of the water she has available. The different head will cost you less up front and overall than a higher flow rate fresh water pump. We have a bulletproof and loud (think machine gun) Groco pump for fresh water. I wouldn't wish the noise on anyone. LOL.

Our deck washdown pump is a Jabsco VSP that would work but it is only slightly less loud than the old Groco we have on fresh water.
Old 15-11-2015, 16:25   #12

Agree on getting a good low flow, but strong, shower head, but there is also other uses for higher flow rates. Multiple fixtures (no cold water shock during a warm shower or loss of flow), high pressure deck spray, etc.

Might not be for everyone, but that doesn't mean it isn't for anyone.

And just because it CAN deliver 5.5gpm, doesn't mean it HAS to. In fact, it rarely will when only using a single faucet. But it sure is nice to have it in reserve.

Mark

Old 15-11-2015, 16:37   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Looking to maybe replace my Jabsco diaphragm pump.
Want a higher flow rate, like maybe 5 GPM, I've heard of variable speed pumps but don't know anything about them, but they sound ideal, if they last. I'd like to get away without a surge tank if possible, and want a higher flow rate so the wife can wash her hair.
Suggestions?

Our boat came with a Jabsco 31755 on the potable water circuit and it has been flawless. No pressure tank, excellent flow from trickle to full boar. The pump just quietly speeds up and slows down very quickly as warranted.

It keeps up with 2 heads, 2 showers, the clothes washer, and the galley when several are in use. [Don't confuse overall adequate water flow with adequate hot water flow, however... that will take smarter plumbing on our boat- but fortunately there are usually only 2 of us... NO laundry during showers! Or visa-versa...]

I'm considering replacing the 120VAC pump at my house- pulling from an underground 2000 gallon tank- with one of these...

It is very quiet. We have to strain to hear if it is running in our enclosed engine room. [Consequently, I'm working on a pilot light, and/or other timer mechanism to 'announce' when it is running, and/or running for 'too long'...]

Cheers!

-Bill
Old 15-11-2015, 16:42   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Flow rate without a stated pressure isn't the whole story, often pumps are rated with no head pressure, so a 3 GPM pump if you make it hold 40 PSI of pressure may deliver much less than rated flow.
But, she desires high pressure and high flow rate to wash her hair, and we will have a 30 GPH or maybe larger water maker, and we will use quite a lot of water, it another one of those luxuries I want to have. I intend to rinse the chain off as it goes into the locker and keep the deck as salt free as is reasonable, and I want to try to do all of this with one pump and not have a separate washdown pump, and I don't see why it wouldn't work? Probably install a couple of recessed faucets and use a 25' coiled hose.

Old 15-11-2015, 17:05   #15

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
In the marine world, I think Jabsco is the only one still providing VSP's.

Mark
Doesn't Whale still make one with variable flow called the IC Fresh?

Matt

Tags
water