Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 12:28   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Adler Barbour Cold Machine Problems

OMG that's made my day, what joy! Thanks
Old 15-06-2018, 22:46   #32

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Great, then best you ask Richard to explain with drawings or a video on how he changes the oil on a hermetic compressor!
Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems

No, since Richard states it's a bad idea to attempt changing compressor oil( I kinda doubt he'd want to demonstrate a procedure he doesn't believe in) and you state the opposite would it not make more sense that you take this on ?
I do understand your time constraints and don't expect you to drop all else, however it'd be helpful to do so in the future.
Old 16-06-2018, 01:16   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Gill View Post
Great, then best you ask Richard to explain with drawings or a video on how he changes the oil on a hermetic compressor!

No, since Richard states it's a bad idea to attempt changing compressor oil( I kinda doubt he'd want to demonstrate a procedure he doesn't believe in) and you state the opposite would it not make more sense that you take this on ?
I do understand your time constraints and don't expect you to drop all else, however it'd be helpful to do so in the future.
Jack, I clearly detailed the industry known method of draining / replacing contaminated oil in a hermetic compressor (like the BD50) in order to assist a member. It was Richard who chose to discredit my presentation as not possible (see posts 13-14 and others) so surely it should be up to Richard to disprove it, not just offer an opinion.

However I doubt that will happen, so tomorrow I have recruited one of the techs here to replicate the oil draining process on a BD50 (same compressor as this thread was about) and video it. We will then cut open the compressor and show from the insides why the method I describe works. From these videos it will be quite obvious and impossible to dispute.

Will post the video later tomorrow. Apologies to follow, in triplicate please!!

Old 16-06-2018, 05:43   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Jack, I clearly detailed the industry known method of draining / replacing contaminated oil in a hermetic compressor (like the BD50) in order to assist a member. It was Richard who chose to discredit my presentation as not possible (see posts 13-14 and others) so surely it should be up to Richard to disprove it, not just offer an opinion.

However I doubt that will happen, so tomorrow I have recruited one of the techs here to replicate the oil draining process on a BD50 (same compressor as this thread was about) and video it. We will then cut open the compressor and show from the insides why the method I describe works. From these videos it will be quite obvious and impossible to dispute.

Will post the video later tomorrow. Apologies to follow, in triplicate please!!

If you could remove the 9.5 ounces from BD3 or 5.7 ounces off oil from a BD50 compressor why would you believe the contaminants remaining in compressor and the rest of system are not a major destructive failure risk. Have you considered the cost and risks you are asking a boat owner to take when you first failed to confirm there is moisture or other contaminants in his system. What happened to a professional approach? Your presentation is what it is but does not represent a recommendation from the pleasure boat refrigeration industry or Danfoss Secop.
Old 16-06-2018, 06:03   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
If you could remove the 9.5 ounces from BD3 or 5.7 ounces off oil from a BD50 compressor why would you believe the contaminants remaining in compressor and the rest of system are not a major destructive failure risk. Have you considered the cost and risks you are asking a boat owner to take when you first failed to confirm there is moisture or other contaminants in his system. What happened to a professional approach? Your presentation is what it is but does not represent a recommendation from the pleasure boat refrigeration industry or Danfoss Secop.
But you claim the method described won't work so what is your problem? How do you deal with contaminated oil other than to replace it?
The rest of your comment I disagree with as it is of no substance and yet again another attempt to attack the poster and not deal with the issue discussed. I also have no respect or interest in such comments.

Cheers OzePete
Old 16-06-2018, 06:11   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
But you claim the method described won't work so what is your problem? How do you deal with contaminated oil other than to replace it?
The rest of your comment I disagree with as it is of no substance and yet again another attempt to attack the poster and not deal with the issue discussed. I also have no respect or interest in such comments.

Cheers OzePete
I am sorry you have a problem so I will leave this thread up to the viewers to interpret.
Old 16-06-2018, 06:32   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
I am sorry you have a problem so I will leave this thread up to the viewers to interpret.
Richard, there is not a soul on earth that knows it all, certainly not me and certainly not you. I am quite happy to discuss anything regards refrigeration with you or any other industry person here.

On several occasions here I have acknowledged the considerable help you have been to members, but like us all there are some things you get very wrong, for what ever reasons. I don't understand why you can't simply stay civil, stay on topic and simply discuss relative ideas and processes.

I am a refrigeration engineer and most likely with far greater experience in the industry than yourself, so I find it offensive when you opt to avoid a topic and instead attack my credibility, product or company as you have on many occasions in the past.
BTW, I have never made any comment that discredits your products or company.

Cheers OzePete
Old 16-06-2018, 12:44   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Richard, there is not a soul on earth that knows it all, certainly not me and certainly not you. I am quite happy to discuss anything regards refrigeration with you or any other industry person here.

On several occasions here I have acknowledged the considerable help you have been to members, but like us all there are some things you get very wrong, for what ever reasons. I don't understand why you can't simply stay civil, stay on topic and simply discuss relative ideas and processes.

I am a refrigeration engineer and most likely with far greater experience in the industry than yourself, so I find it offensive when you opt to avoid a topic and instead attack my credibility, product or company as you have on many occasions in the past.
BTW, I have never made any comment that discredits your products or company.

Cheers OzePete
Pete, I resent the fact that you have made disparaging remarks about my experience and knowledge.. First you know nothing about my engineering and technical background. I have never attacked your company’s products or company. Yes, I have asked technical questions and you had every right to refuse to answer as it’s your proprietary privilege to ignore any and all questions.

Here is a short version of my technical education and experience. From age 20 to 29 I attended engineering classes at Purdue University and then was sent by the company that hired me to a number of manufacturing companies around the US and France for additional experience and training. At age 29 I became one of the seven top men in the US airline maintenance and engineering industry holding the title of Director of maintenance.

When I retired at age 55 I waas overseeing an expense budget of five million dollars a year as Director of the Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial, engineering staff and supervision over 100 trained technicians. My personal hands on experience in HVACR was limited to engineering problem solving of equipment reliability and day to day problem solving,

After I retired I started a business in 1983 designing pleasure boat refrigeration for boaters that wanted to build their own DIY boat refrigeration.

I no longer have a boat refrigeration business but I still make available my experience to boaters in need of refrigeration help and I expect nothing in return.

I will on Monday contact Members of refrigeration engineering services and Engineers at the various companies using Danfoss BD compressors that I have worked with. I hope to get their comments to your Danfoss BD oil change feasibility. I will ask the Adler Barbour engineer if he agrees with the instruction for oil change on their picture of the CU100 Cold Machine. I have met personally and talked with at least four of these company engineers. In my survey it is not my intention to mention your name or your company. I don’t wish to cause you any problems but it does worry me that you are giving the wrong information to boat owners who are asking for help.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:14   #39

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Thank you all for the useful and helpful information. We feel this topic has been explored fully and will be closing the thread now.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Closed Thread