Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 16:13   #16

Thanks David, I just don't know how I would get a small sailing dinghy around on top of the jeep. However, I will consider it if something to live aboard doesn't come along. Actually, even if a live aboard comes along I might do the dinghy just to gain some of the practical experience and understanding of how the wind works with the sails and rigging.
I have already considered that the first boat I buy will be temporary for three possible reasons. 1) I may want to upgrade 2) It might be too costly to repair for extended service 3) I might not like the whole live aboard program at all. I realize all of these things are possible, and others may arise (health, finances, etc,etc) but I won't know unless I try. Truthfully, unless I sell everything I own (which isn't much) I probably will be looking at closer to $5k. So the repairs will be necessary, but I will consider that training as well.
flatspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 18:38   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I transitioned from doing canoe and kayak expedition trips to sailboat cruising. They are more similar than different in my opinion. (especially since I often used a sailing rig on my sea kayak).

I really recommend taking a live aboard sailing course. There's nothing like hands on instruction in an actual cruising situation to both learn from and decide if it's what you want to do.

All the best...
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 18:51   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
When you are world president you are still going to allow Jet Skis?
If I become Chief World Dictator, any vessel with the power to weight ratio of a fighter jet gets banned.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 18:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspaddler View Post
Thanks David, I just don't know how I would get a small sailing dinghy around on top of the jeep.
I wasn't suggesting the dinghy was a long term deal. A stepping stone. The 100 hours, if done in a few weeks, will be all you need to be very valuable on a bigger boat. Usually this phase is done as a kid. But 51 is fine. Perhaps a slightly larger dinghy. And I'm serious when I said that while sailing the dinghy you will meet the people that will show you the way from there.

In my opinion, the classes and certificates are a complete waste of time and money. "Oh the stories I could tell!" All the necessary facts about winds and buoys are in a thin book.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote