Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 22:02   #1

US Sailing vs ASA Certifications

What are the differences between U.S. Sailing and ASA certifications. Mainly in terms of which one is more widely recognized (both in the U.S. and internationally) for chartering. My father has ASA bareboat certification and he has told me that there are places (in FL) that only accept U.S. sailing certifications. On the other hand, most people here seem to talk about ASA.

Thanks!
tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:05   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Sailing (in the US) is one of those things that really doesn't require formal certification (although it's certainly a good way to gain experience, and a good idea in general). Many places will just do a checkout sail to see that you know what you are doing, some will do that anyway even if you have ASA or USS certifications. Some places don't even bother. The certifications will get you a discount at some of the larger charter companies. Other than that, i don't think it really matters, in my experience. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24   #3

I was under the impression that you need to have some sort of certification for a charter company to let you bareboat charter a boat.

The specific experience that I mentioned before where the ASA certification wasn't honored, was not even for chartering a boat for cruising, but rather for short regattas run by that same company.

How about internationally, do you know if chartering overseas has more stringent certification rules. If so, which of the two certifications is more widely accepted?
tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:13   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
compare the standards

for Offshore Passagemaking certification:

US Sailing: Offshore Passage Making Certification requires the successful completion of the following knowledge and skill requirements. These requirements are expected to be performed safely with confident command of the boat in waters of the open ocean with a wind speed of at least 15 knots. The passage must be a minimum of 600 nautical miles with a minimum of 250 nautical miles to be sailed at least 50 nautical miles offshore. During this passage each candidate must serve in the capacity of skipper for a minimum of 100 nautical miles.

ASA:
Acted as skipper and crew on an offshore passage of no less than 72 hours and 100 NM without touching land.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31   #5

I have chartered in the Med, Caribbean, the Bahamas, and the Pacific Northwest. While I have been asked for a sailing resume, I have never been asked to show my logbook.

Your experience, rather than certification, is a huge factor. In the PNW, charterers with advanced levels of training, but no experience with big tides and currents, have been asked to take a skipper along for a couple of days.

The instructor is also a huge factor in having a good experience in the lessons.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 18:32   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
[quote=tintin;288653]I was under the impression that you need to have some sort of certification for

My experience has been that this is one part of the overall resume they will look at and not a make it or break it thing. Many of the large companies will offer a free skipper to go out with you for a few hours when you begin your first charter both to show you the ins and outs of their boats and to decide if you are ready to continue on your own.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa