Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 11:57   #1

Needing help

Hello all,

I am looking for a late 90's model cruiser that can sleep at least 4 people in comfort, My budget can go up to $30,000. My plans are to keep it in dry stack in Charleston SC and I will rarely take it on the water (except slip) I already have a couple of PWC'S to go on the water with...I will be using it as more of a condo for long weekends etc.

The size of boat can be from 28'-32' any model...

Any advice on what to look for in the boat and marina with dry stack would be very helpful...

Thanks,
sean286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:10   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Needing help

When you say "cruiser" are you talking sail or power?? I think I would just start by going to yachtworld.com and going to advanced search, define your parameters i.e. 1995 or newer, 28-30 feet, under $30K, and area, and see what comes up. I know that it's difficult to get financing for anything older than 20 years, but if you're paying cash you're going to have a lot more options in larger boats if you consider something a little older.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:14   #3
cruiser

Dry stack = Express cruiser.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18   #4
cruiser

Lately there's been a lot of threads that seem like there only here to ruffle the feathers of the sailor crowd.

Dry stack ?
PWC ?
Not take out....condo?

Sometimes I think people post here without ever reading a single page.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58   #5

Baggers.. Thanks for your response, I am looking for a power cruiser and I will be paying cash. From what I was told most dry stacks can go up to 33'-35' It doesn't have to be the finest running boat because of the fact that my PWC'S (personal water craft) are much cheaper to run and the maintenance is very little.
my other option is too buy a condo in that area for at least $250k put down $50k down payment and have a mortgage for 30 years at $1000 a month, and still not be near the water.

Horror...thanks for nothing.
Old 02-04-2014, 13:08   #6

Horror, further note...I'm sure that the first time you purchased a boat you knew everything about boating?????

You were the first "sailor" to not have to ask questions or was curious about learning?

Or maybe I am the fool that is reaching out to people that might understand where I am coming from and I realize that I should ask people that know all about boats/marinas etc????

Or should I just go directly to a boat salesman and be at his mercy???

What would you do?
Old 02-04-2014, 13:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

By dry stack, I assume you mean storage as in stored in a rack? Not dry stacked exhaust? If so staying in a boat while it's in storage will be interesting.
You may want to consider buying a camper and finding a place to keep it.
30' is pretty big for a fork lift to pick up if I understand what your asking.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 14:01   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, and Horror has a very good point
Old 02-04-2014, 14:12   #9
cruiser

Dry stack is all the rage down south, kids these days can't get enough of it.

I love a good dry stack, trawler style exhaust that is.

Hey it seemed like a plausible April fools.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:27   #10

There are several dry stack marinas in the Charleston area, and by dry stack I mean they have a fork lift that can pick up boats to 40' in size place them in the water, place in a slip with electric/water hookups then when you are ready to leave they retrieve the boat and store it on a rack inside of a huge building. I have found several boats of interest but it is over whelming the amount of different makes/models.

The reason I am considering dry stack is because I was thinking about maintenance/weather/theft etc...

Again, any CONSTRUCTIVE and HELPFUL comments would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:32   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's also called rack and stack. Does it include a slip with power? Never seen one that did, but then I haven't seen a 40' boat on a forklift either, must be a Hell of a sight.
If your just looking for a place to stay close to the beach, I think a good fifth wheel makes more sense, but that's just me.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:47   #12

According to the guy I spoke with, they have several slips for use when you store the boat there and they charge $2.50 nightly for electricity if you use it...the marina I have called is Ripley lighthouse marina in Charleston SC and the website "claims" the forklift can carry up to 40' the racks can hold up to 35' and T-tops up to 14'

This is the reason I am on here, to get the honest truth from people that really know.

Thanks again,
Old 02-04-2014, 14:56   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean286 View Post
There are several dry stack marinas in the Charleston area, and by dry stack I mean they have a fork lift that can pick up boats to 40' in size place them in the water, place in a slip with electric/water hookups then when you are ready to leave they retrieve the boat and store it on a rack inside of a huge building. I have found several boats of interest but it is over whelming the amount of different makes/models.

The reason I am considering dry stack is because I was thinking about maintenance/weather/theft etc...

Again, any CONSTRUCTIVE and HELPFUL comments would be appreciated.
That last sentence was unnecessary and you will find that you get more information by being polite and going along with a couple of laughs that turn up than you do by demanding that everyone dances to just your particular tune.

Coops.
Old 02-04-2014, 15:04   #14

The reason I posted that was because the original comment made was not very humorous, and the old saying goes...if you have nothing nice to say...
Old 02-04-2014, 15:28   #15
cruiser

I was just highlighting that you posted on CRUISERS FORUM about a express cruiser for use as a CONDO.

Most here are cruisers - long distance sail or displacement speed power boats. Some liveaboards as well, but the rafting, weekend use, lights and stereos, power boat is not really in our wheelhouse.

Also if you had ever been here you would know sailors hate PWCs more than the devil himself.

Plus even know "express cruiser" has the word cruiser in it, it's not really anything alike.

For instance, cruisers don't plug in much, no doubt your weekend dock queen will be very 120v dependent.

Like I said, sometimes it seems peoples first posts happen before they ever read a page. I must have read threads here daily for 4 years before I posted. Just reading about stuff that doesn't apply to you will give you a massive knowledge of boating.

There is so much to learn here that after 6 months reading you may well decide that you needs for a boat are very different than what you thought.

Plus yesterday was April fools and every thread was viewed with a skeptical eye, sometimes the April 1st trolls are so real you don't know.