Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2009, 10:49   #1

total newbie needing advice about travelling from uk waters to the whole wide world.

basically i have no idea about this kind of stuff but what certificates visa etc will i need to get on a boat in uk water ie the river thames. then to travel to france down and round the med. then down the suez canel down round to india then in theory all the way to australia. please help as much as possible i think the boat will be a mainly a diesel powered motor boat.
and if you have prices for what i need that would be a bonus.

thanks dave
chaptaingossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 12:24   #2

Boat: Mac 26x
Hi Dave

For European destinations you will require a VAT paid certificate,i also think that you require a certificate of competency,if you have the RYA day skippers ticket,that will alllow you to apply for the International cert.

As for cost,well a lot of that will depend on how much diesel you burn.

most of the long term cruisers do it in a yacht as it is considerably cheaper to sail than motor

What size of motorboat? and is it C.E certified to Cat A.
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 15:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi and welcome to cruisers forum. There is a wealth of information here and many, many knowledgeable skippers. It appears you are at the beginning of a long voyage. A voyage that starts on shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptaingossy View Post
basically i have no idea about this kind of stuff but what certificates visa etc will i need to get on a boat in uk water ie the river thames.
The boat generally needs to be purchased, appropriate taxes paid and then registered.

Quote:
then to travel to france down and round the med. then down the suez canel down round to india then in theory all the way to australia. please help as much as possible
Each country where you stop will have entry and exit requirements for both the crew (visa and immigration) and the boat. Many countries have rules regarding how long the people can stay (immigration rules for visitors) and rules for how long a boat can stay before it is considered "imported" at which point they often require local registration and taxes paid.

You need to know about each country. This is where getting to know other cruisers can help, but more importantly where you can research a lot on-line. Cruisers information can become out of date so the more reliable info will come from someone who has done it recently. That info needs to be blended with governments info to something that makes sense to you.

Quote:
i think the boat will be a mainly a diesel powered motor boat.
and if you have prices for what i need that would be a bonus.

thanks dave
There are threads here about running costs of diesel powered dislpacement boats. Basically (distance/speed) * consumption give you fuel burn. Then there is maintenance on the boat. For the type of journey you are planning this would have to be one pretty impressive off-shore trawler.

Good luck...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote