Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 23:32   #31

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Guns aboard

Really, it's hard to answer the question about whether you should have guns aboard when we don't know:
(1) your anchor preference,
(2) your position on celestial vs. electronic-only navigation,
(3) your true feelings about monohulls versus multihulls,
(4) whether you always wear a life jacket or inflatable when on deck or not,
(5) your feelings about whether lifelines actually add to safety,
(6) your position on the racers versus cruisers debate,
(7) your position on whether single-hand sailing is inherently irresponsible or not,
(8) your opinions on the suitability of popular production sailboats (Benehuntalinas) for blue water voyaging,
(9) whether you have been exposed to "Fourth Mode Sailing" on a MacGregor,
(10) whether approaching a coastline gives you a feeling or safety or forboding,
(11) your opinions in the heavy weather sailing debates in regard to para-anchors or drogues,
(12) your prescription for "saving sailing"/growing the sport, including improving retention of youth sailors,
(13) your solutions for preserving and improving waterfront access and general access to sailing,
(14) the reasons why you believe that either hard or soft dinghies are the only logical choice for cruisers, and
(15) your opinion about when drinking alcohol is or is not appropriate on board.

Only when you have definitively outlined your positions on these topics, to the complete satisfaction and agreement of all other CF members, will we be able to give you a good answer about guns on board.
Old 25-06-2013, 03:51   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Theres plenty of places to go where theres no real pirates!!

You mean there really are unchartered islands with no gov't?
Old 25-06-2013, 04:16   #33

Boat: Alberg 37

Try these:
Less hassle from the locals...
Old 25-06-2013, 04:42   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Really, it's hard to answer the question about whether you should have guns aboard when we don't know:
(7) your position on whether single-hand sailing is inherently irresponsible or not,
(8) your opinions on the suitability of popular production sailboats (Benehuntalinas) for blue water voyaging,
(10) whether approaching a coastline gives you a feeling or safety or forboding,
(11) your opinions in the heavy weather sailing debates in regard to para-anchors or drogues,
(12) your prescription for "saving sailing"/growing the sport, including improving retention of youth sailors,
(13) your solutions for preserving and improving waterfront access and general access to sailing,
(14) the reasons why you believe that either hard or soft dinghies are the only logical choice for cruisers, and
(15) your opinion about when drinking alcohol is or is not appropriate on board.

Only when you have definitively outlined your positions on these topics, to the complete satisfaction and agreement of all other CF members, will we be able to give you a good answer about guns on board.
ROTFLMFAO

Great post.

The OP is a person that thinks you just buy a boat and sail away (read her "completely overwhelmed" thread). She also has no conception of the fact that once she leaves US territorial waters - different rules may apply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 25-06-2013, 04:51   #35

I think GG is really trying to prove that she can achieve "Guru" status on this Forum without ever knowing anything about boating. Just keep on posting and racking up the count!!

Excuse my error, on THIS forum she would become a "Senior Cruiser".
Old 25-06-2013, 05:03   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

GalaxyGirl,

With with your five kids, would you *really* want to have a gun on board?

Seems like a tragedy waiting to happen to me.
Old 25-06-2013, 05:44   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I agree with Hud.

At Least 5 People Were Accidentally Shot In A Single Day This Week

on Feb 22, 2013 at 10:30 am

Quote:
1. A 4-year-old girl was shot in the leg by a family member who was putting his gun away.
2. A 3-year-old boy found a handgun under the mattress in his parents’ bendroom and shot a family friend in the head.
3. A member of the Air Force pulled the trigger on his gun, reportedly thinking it was unloaded, and sent a bullet that hit a 14-month-old baby in the hand in a nearby apartment.
4. A woman reportedly spun her handgun around and pointed it at her head. She died of a gunshot wound to the head.
5. A 3-year-old was fatally shot in what police said appeared to be a tragic accident.
At Least 5 People Were Accidentally Shot In A Single Day This Week | ThinkProgress

So we are not talking about a few people... thats a lot of people in one day. On your boat with 5 children who do you think is going to be shot dead? An intruder? Or one of your children?

Or this one 2 weeks ago where a 13 year old girls death only rates 4 short paragraphs? 13-year-old Johnson County girl accidentally shot while brother cleaned gun | The Scoop Blog

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 25-06-2013, 05:56   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Agave View Post
I carry. That doesn't mean you should. If/when you visit a part of the world that has pirates, that would be the entire planet btw count yourself lucky if they only rob you. More than likely they will rob you then gang rape you in front of your kids then kill all of you. How do I know this you ask? I was a Force Recon Marine for 10 years and on the 2 meu's that I floated on we dealt with pirates. Besides those meu's I did 6 combat tours I am familiar with bad guys and guns. Guns and people mix well contrary to public opinion an armed society is a POLITE society.

Scott
More " Guns and Ammo " fantasy

Dave
Old 25-06-2013, 05:58   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post

Award winning post IMHO
Old 25-06-2013, 06:35   #40

I'm not quite sure what situations firearm owners are preparing for. The only pirate encounter in recent years involving a British sailing vessel that I can think of was the Lynn Rival off Somalia. As far as I remember, several pirates in multiple boats attacked at night when both crew were asleep. Even if they had been awake and armed to the teeth, they would have been far outnumbered and in a situation in which even professional security contractors would have been totally overwhelmed. A retired couple who had never fired a shot in anger in their lives would have been gunned down in seconds, and, whatever your pirate fighting fantasies, this is the most likely scenario for most other sailors as well.

I think someone posted a few pages back that they kept firearms on board in US waters, but not abroad. Surely only being armed in 'safe' waters totally defeats the point? Or do US citizens really have such a low opinion of domestic security, and such a low level of trust in a system of government which we are told is an example to the world, that they think this necessary?

The truth is that the rest of the world does not share the US fetish for firearms. Indeed, it looks on in bewilderment and sadness at a country perfectly willing to accept an average of 32,000 largely preventable deaths per year because of its own outdated laws (see here), but yet which makes such drastic, world-changing moves in foreign policy in response to a 'mere' 3,000 deaths.

Will that get this thread closed? I hope so!
Old 25-06-2013, 06:50   #41
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

galaxy girl----NO!!!!!!!!!!

you want a baseball bat with a good heavy ss gaff on it.

with 5 kids no one is gonna mess with ye....

keep your boat looking like beverly hillbillies and a lil dingy and all is good....baseball bats are great tools, as are those cyoot lil hatchets of which i want one.....even bright lights are good weapons.....

personally i would love to have a flamethrower as a back up plan for bubba then hatchet then gaff then flames----mebbe start off with a weenie roast, then hatchet--havent figgered out the plan of attack....er defense, yet.....

but do not bring guns anywhere on your boat.

throw em (invaders as opposed to kids) overboard with the anchor--oops--by misteak--yer a girl, go for it.....kids love to tie knots, so practicing is fun, and they can participate in the roast, swim, whatever.....
Old 25-06-2013, 06:52   #42

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

This thread got a lot of mileage to go before being shut down...still at # 42, it is very young!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 25-06-2013, 06:55   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns aboard

I'm saying nothing.... my computers tapped already...
But seriously... to me the private individual who feels he needs a gun to protect himself on a boat is a wuss...
Real life and computer games...?
Big Difference

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-06-2013, 07:01   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

When traveling to foreign countries that are not gun friendly it seems that one is far more likely to end up in prison for possessing a gun than to have the need for a gun for self-defense.

You have to look at the statistics and the better odds seem to favor not possessing a gun. There is no perfect solution here.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 25-06-2013, 07:07   #45

Boat: Cal 2-27

Bad things can happen anywhere.
Bad things happen to good people everywhere w

If your looking to support you r idea just type your question into google

Swiss Woman Raped while her Husband Forced to Watch - YouTube

BBC News - Haunted by Congo rape dilemma

Woman raped; husband is forced to watch - Friday, Nov. 14, 1997 | 10:45 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Mainland College Girl Raped by Indian Man in Hong Kong, Reactions – chinaSMACK

U.S. tourist in Brazil kidnapped, robbed and raped in front of boyfriend on bus during 6-hour nightmare: police - NY Daily News

You can find examples of anything you want.

If you dont watch the news you are uninformed
If you watch the news you are misinformed

Oregon Gun Owner Stops Clackamas Shooting Spree, Proving Guns Save Lives

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

Keep and Bear Arms - Gun Owners Home Page - 2nd Amendment Supporters

I have finds in my home but doing advocate one way or the other.

My point in posing the links is that if your looking for answers that support what you want to do, you'll find them on the net. The form its the same. Take the information you have and come to tour own conclusion.

Tags
Guns